main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Star Wars authors refrain from doing Romances?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tylrkrby, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    What I'm getting from that is that they're both characters that have been handled and written atrociously in recent years. I personally don't think that makes them star crossed lovers

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    To quote Castle "But, the question is this, when you come right down to it...would you be willing to break her out of prison? Because that my boy is true love."

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I just noticed this thread was posted at 11:38. That makes it awesome.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm in the middle of reading the New Jedi Order(at Edge of Victory 1: Conquest right now) and I have to say that I think the Luke/Mara scenes work well. I also like Corran/Mirax.

newdawn12 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    To each his own I suppose. I felt like I needed a root canal after I read the Luke/Mara scenes. Corran/Mirax has worked pretty well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

6. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Stover made ROTS' romance work out pretty well. Even if there were a few "Oh, my love!"s tossed in there. If we can have a book that does Anakin/Padme well, I think the question is mostly the ability of the author. That and agreed upon results.

Luke/Mara's got issues but works out overall because Zahn develops it with a clear focus and result in mind.. Sure, he pulls a sloppy recton with Mara and Lando but he's committed worse crimes. The reason Jaina/Jag did so terribly was because Denning fought tooth and nail for her and Zekk. If the writers all said "Okay, Jaina's going to end up with Jag", it could have developed in the proper fashion.

Star Wars can do romance very well. The high, operatic setting allows for both melodrama while leaving room for intimacy. But romance is hard to write and you need to know, fairly early, what the trajectory of the characters will be. In a shared IP, that becomes amazingly difficult to do.

darth fluffy likes this.
  7. tylrkrby

tylrkrby Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2013
    What romances do you wish happened? Mine would be kyp/jaina, jaina/zekk, jacen/danni

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Interesting question, though not directed at me, I still found my answer revealing.

None.

At the moment I can't think of a single romance that I wished happened, but didn't.

Then I started thinking about romances that did happen and if I would care if they didn't. The list is short.

Han/Leia. Kenobi/Ventress, but just UST. Kenobi should never have actually hooked up with anyone.

That's it? Oh, and Nightlily: The Lover's Tale.

Maybe Lando/Mara, Marakin and Wackbar, but for trolling purposes only. Corran/Otter too, I guess.

That's it. I really shouldn't be surprised, I've never been particularly interested in romance in Star Wars. I'm not particularly interested in romance in fiction period, but that's goes double for Star Wars. I'm quite able to be amused by romance, but in Star Wars it's usually a slightly bothersome distraction from what I'm really looking for, like a bug flying around my face while I'm trying to read about Star Wars.

I would agree if it wasn't for two things:

1) The focus and result are terrible, imo. It's a terrible pairing from the moment of conception to their marriage and beyond.
    2) It's Luke Skywalker. I probably wouldn't care if someone else received a terrible mate. He's kind of a big deal.

VanishingReality likes this.
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Matter of taste.
    Luke/Mara works because they complement each other, bringing out the best in each other.

JediMara77 likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I did say imo.

I just don't think Luke Skywalker should be subject to spousal abuse.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    AdmiralWesJanson : I couldn't disagree with that more if I had an electrified disagreeing machine. I didn't see Mara bringing out the best in Luke at all; I saw her turning a man for whom I had a great deal of respect, into a drooling slobbering wuss who doesn't seem to remember how to use his brain when she's around.

12. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    One thing I like about Jag/Jaina and the fact that the Fel Dynasty in the Comics is that we may see Wedge Antilles have to deal with visiting force powered great nieces and nephews. I would love to see a comic book or something were Great Uncle Wedge has to deal with force sensitive toddlers, I can just see him say "And I thought dealing with Janson was bad." Think the old comic were baby clark kent gets himself into trouble and drives the baby sitter nuts

13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

HA!

newdawn12 and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. As much as I think Star Wars can be romantic, romance is never at the forefront of my mind. Except Atton and the Exile.

darth fluffy and tylrkrby like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin Solo/Tahiri FTW. Still waiting for Tahiri to find someone else though.
    Jaina/Jag, Jacen/Tenel Ka work for me in NJO. Jaina/Zekk not so much. Jaina/Kyp would be interesting. Han/Leia are awesome. Anakin/Padme have some good moments. I also like Luke/Mara a lot. Zayne and Jarael are entertaining from what I've read.
    A good relationship imo is one that was forged through fire, trials etc. They might have started out as opposites but end up getting close to one another.

16. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    I guess Jacen/Tenel works because of the long development. If it had happened straight from YJK I would've hate it. On a side note I've always wanted to see a major character with a nonhuman lover. The only Skywalker example would be Cade. Any other pairings I've forgotten about?

17. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    YES. This and Revan/Bastila are among my favorite pairings in an form of Star Wars

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like a romance where the pair become friends and are friends for awhile, maybe even years, before the romance develops. I think such a relationship has more depth and substance and is more likely to last than people who hook up because they found each other physically attractive but knew almost nothing else about each other.

Anakin and Tahiri were kids but that's one reason their relationship worked so well for me. They were best friends who came to realize that they loved each other.

(I'm on chapter 9 of Star by Star so I'm getting my ass kicked emotionally very soon.)

As far as romances I wish had happened: none. I can think of a few sexual hookups but no romances.

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    [​IMG]

Many sperm died to bring you this hookup.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  21. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    is that Gavin and Asyr?[face_worried]

22. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    Get Yoda in the mix and we've got a party;
    )

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Its actually Wes Janson and a Bothan female after having spent the night together in the X-wing: Requiem for a Rogue comic.

24. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Well the rogues do have a history of interspecies relationships I guess Gavin and Asyr, Nawara and Rhysati, Corran Dating that Selonian female during his Corsec years. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about Janson.

25. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    I find that strangely endearing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.