main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Swords & Swordplay etc

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Since we have people here who like playing with swords, I thought we ought to have a thread to talk about such things. Tell us what training and experience you've had, post pics/vids of your favorite weapons, and yourself playing with them. And if you've never done anything like that and just think it's cool, ask questions!

My first training was in sport fencing, 1984-1988ish, mostly foil, a little epee, very little saber. In '99 I joined the SCA (medieval reenactment group) and learned heavy armored medieval combat, mostly broadsword and shield, also bastard sword, and a little bit of spear, mace and shield, and sword and mace. I also learned that I'm really awful with pole arms. Around 2003 I started SCA light combat (renaissance period fencing) and learned rapier, dagger, rapier and dagger, rapier and rigid parry (bucklers or batons in the off hand), rapier and soft parry (cloak), and case (two rapiers, or two daggers). I also adapted an idea from Northern India; the madu is a small buckler with two dagger blades sticking out of it, so I put to parrying dagger blades on a buckler and taught myself to use it in my off hand. Then I joined Schola Saint George around 2005. That's a martial art group studying the writings of 14th century Italian warrior Fiore di Liberi, concentrating on longsword, dagger, and unarmed grappling techniques, but adaptable to almost any weapon. I was awarded the first 3 belts in the Schola before I moved away.

These are some of my favorite blades:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some of my fencing weapons:
    [​IMG]
    Tools o' th' pirate trade be these, me bucko! Yarrr...
    [​IMG]

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Cool to have all those, and very cool to know how to use them.

rumsmuggler and Sarge like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, ARMA has some good stuff.

Y'all say you want more action pics? Well, if you're going to twist my arm...

That's me on the right, with my madu in my left hand. It's a really good defensive weapon, not all that great offensively.
    [​IMG]
    Fencing on a 16x8 foot see-saw makes you very aware of your footwork.
    [​IMG]
    That's me on the right with cutlass and belaying pin. My opponent has a rapier and a buckler.
    [​IMG]
    Daggers. I'm kinda fast, but that kid is freaky fast.
    [​IMG]
    This, gentlemen, is what is known as a target rich environment.
    [​IMG]
    Why, yes, I do keep my blades polished, how could you tell?
    [​IMG]
    See my red shirt in the middle? Everyone facing right is on my side. EVERYONE facing left is an enemy. We were losing the battle and there was a huge hole in the middle of our lines. I was dancing around the trees, rattling my opponents' blades, quipping and taunting them, trying to keep back all the enemies in front of me until reinforcements showed up. I managed to stay alive and hold them back for a minute or so; of course it felt like ten times that long.
    [​IMG]
    Storming the quarterdeck of the good ship Briar Rose. My sword is in my left hand because I had just gotten shot in the right arm with a rubber band gun. (Surgical tubing rubber bands. Those suckers sting!)
    [​IMG]

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But can you fight off rabid Hodoring fanboys with them?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Italian school FTW.

EDIT: Although, what's with the face masks? They don't look very historical... :p

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Take that, Talhoffer! :D

Chicks just don't dig Heidelberg scars like they used to. :(

8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Do you joust ser?

9. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Are you in the SCA?

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    No to the jousting; I don't know how to ride a horse, and I've never been in a club that did actual jousting. It's very difficult to get insurance for a group that jousts, because you just can't get a horse to sign the medical waiver.

Yes to the SCA. All of those action shots were taken at SCA events. Would you like to see some pics with SCA heavy armor? I can probably be persuaded to post some of those.
    That's me at the bottom, back to the camera, red and black surcoat with a white prancing ram (kingdom colors of Gleann Abheann). I was using my crossbow in that battle.
    [​IMG]
    Indian knife fight. Those are quick and brutal, but at least they're ugly.
    [​IMG]
    Rushing a pole arm. Never fight at his range; always get in close, and watch out for his butt spike.
    [​IMG]
    Four against one. I've seen people win against those odds, but I never have. I've beaten two to one odds a few times. Gotta be quick on your feet.
    [​IMG]
    Warming up with two axes.
    [​IMG]
    Sparring with one of my buddies from SCA and SSG. My guard position at the moment is poste di dona, the woman's guard, he is in poste tutta porto ferro, the guard of the complete iron gate.
    [​IMG]
    I just parried a thrust to my face and am charging in with a cut at his head.
    [​IMG]
    Good times... :)

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Pretty armoury, Sarge! :) What're you using for blades - spring steel for the twohanders, I assume? How long did you have to grind those down to make those fullers right, you poor sod? :D :D

Sarge likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I am indeed a man of many talents, but swordsmithing is not among them. Most of my swords are from Windlass, which makes decent mid-range blades. Better than wall hangers, but not top of the line.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Cool, did you do any of the metal work yourself?

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hello_Fett and timmoishere like this.
  15. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I used to sword-fight when I had a sword-fighting boyfriend. I didn't like fencing but I rocked at my broadsword*.

I stopped when the sword-fighting boyfriend left me though. :p

*considering I am pretty weak and could handle it pretty well, I am 100% sure it wasn't full-sized.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I have a katana. I only bust it out when people talk smack though.

17. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I have three kids and a mortgage so I have no disposable income with which to buy swords :(

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Every person who is a real JCer should like this post.

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    You haven't (at the time of this post).

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't believe in "liking" posts. How have you been here this long and missed that?

I meant people who are allowed to.

21. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    What if you 'like' but then 'unlike' a post?

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

You're allowed to... it's just that you won't. And yes, I've seem to have missed that. :p

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I am not permitted to press the "Like" button. Under any circumstances.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Those are my swords. I know how to use them too.

25. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Sounds awful. Is there anything we can do to help?