main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Prince Xizor: anyone else's favorite EU character?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I can't help but like the guy. He's such an over-the-top Bond villain type, but it works to have this big crime lord, and it works to give Vader a rival who's being propped up by Palpatine to piss him off. He's sort of a silly concept, but he works, and I've liked having him pop up in other stuff to continue the rivalry with Vader and the underworld Black Sun element. Sometimes, you've just got to go big with the concept.

2. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Xizor can still be resurrected...

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

FOTJ actually played with that idea briefly, though it would likely actually been the better ending.

General Immodet likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    For the love of god don't bring Xizor back from the dead. He had a perfect ending. Getting b**** slapped by Vader (complete with a one-liner!) is an ending other characters can only dream of. Don't take that away from poor Xizor.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    With all those pheromes and the seductions going on there may be a 'Son of Xizor' running around somewhere..

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    He was apparently actually not that popular among his own people.

7. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008
    How was Prince Xizor written in other novels? Any good interesting parts?

I've only read his appearances in Shadows of the Empire (both novel and comic).

8. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I wouldn't go as far as to say he is my favorite EU character, but he is cool. I like the whole Coruscant underworld crimelord Black Sun thing.

9. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008
    I'd love to have Xizor's or the Emperor's skyhook from the Shadows of the Emperor novel hah!

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    His rivalry with Vader is a big part of the plot in the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, and he's reasonably good there. He also appears in the Han Solo Trilogy and Coruscant Nights books, and the characterization is fine.

11. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Something I did not get... At first, it was implied the Exchange (KOTOR) evolved into Black Sun.
    Later on, the Exchange and Black Sun suddenly exist together in the same time period (TOR). Why?

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

They still can, Black Sun was apparently born on from a Coruscant branch of the Exchange encouraged by the Sith Empire to take control of the lower levels during the crisis, at least this is what the TOR Encyclopedia hints at.

13. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I love Xizor and the Falleen species in general. He was great fun in SOTE. :D

Maybe an Exchange boss on Coruscant broke off from the Exchange, gathered allies who built their own criminal empire? Total speculation, of course.

14. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008

Yes, I ordered the trilogy yesterday. Should be arriving in about a week!

These novels don't seem to be univerally loved though! What do you think of them Havac?

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    They're not the best novels ever, but they're not bad. They have a lot of interesting ideas, which creates a weird little corner of the universe full of cool stuff, and I think they're probably underrated overall.

16. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    What is not to like about a pompous windbag with delusions of grandeur?

17. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I didn't really like Xizor at all. He wasn't a bad character, really, but there was nothing there to make me give a crap about him either. I didn't care about him reading the novel, and I pretty much forgot about him immediately after reading Shadows of the Empire.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Gorefiend and krtmd like this.
  19. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    How great was Xizor? He made his chair work out for him.

Darth_Pevra and Hoaxer_Poker like this.
  20. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008

He's the MAN...I mean reptile!

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I want to bump this thread as Xizor is getting a bit more discussion at the moment in other threads due to a certain other character appearing in SOLO. I believe it a wasted opportunity to use Xizor in a canon movie.

[​IMG]

bizzbizz, Barriss_Coffee and jSarek like this.
  22. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Man, off topic but I love Luke's Shadows of the Empire appearance. It's one of my favorite Luke appearances by far--probably beats out his Dark Side appearance from Dark Empire for me. I just love the simpleness of it all. It just appears to be his ROTJ outfit under a tan cargo vest.

23. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I have to admit, the first time I met Xizor, loooong ago, some guy at a store was trying to sell me the 2 pack with Vader saying "oh, and this guy kicks Vader´s ass". Being a big Vader fan, I hated Xizor immediately, haha... but later on, I realized in the novel he wasn´t even close to doing that, and he started to grow on me.

He was part of this tendency where EU had to present amazing characters that were 10 times better than their OT counterpart (one thing I didn´t like in SOTE was how Jabba was made to look like a complete fool just to make Xizor look like his superior), so many ideas were preposterous to me (like him being the third most powerful being in the Empire, what happened to Sate Pestage?), but in the end his defeat to Vader made him look fallible and closed the loop nicely within it´s own novel.

Obviously he was meant to outsmart Vader and survive the whole skyhook incident in later appearances, but since he didn´t, I do remember him rather fondly, haha. I seem to remember him in the Evasive Action webstrip, too, joining forces with a young Tremayne, and being included in Empire at War´s extension too, where he was fooled and double crossed by Tyber Zann (another kind of unbeatable character himself)...

24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Nowhere near my favorite EU character, but I liked him just fine. Though I think I liked him better in the Han Solo Trilogy, where you get to see his chessmaster tendencies on full display and with less silliness to offset them - the man performs a takeover of one of the galaxy's two biggest Hutt syndicates, FFS. And I like the whole concept of Black Sun as the Bond villains league of the GFFA, even though, this being that kind of story, the Bond villains are still not the biggest fish in the pond.

Also, I love Xizor for giving Vader one of his biggest crowning moments of awesome in the old EU (the last conversation between them at the end of the book). It's somewhere in my top ten EU moments.

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Mafia-ish aspects of Shadows of the Empire was great! And a with Thrawn, it's refreshing to have a non-Force-user villain who's using smarts/schemes to achieve goals. I also have a sweet spot for SOTE because of the soundtrack. Xizor's Theme (and Imperial City) are superb.

Re: Xizor in the new canon, black-and-red is the new pheromone green.