main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What Do You Think Of Padme Giving Birth to Luke & Leia Scene?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 19, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course, but that generally involves moving on, not dying. Moving on from a toxic relationship is a healthy choice. Giving up on life due to that relationship is not at all a healthy choice, nor is it a strong one.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The scene was fine with me.

kainee and SkywalkerJedi02 like this.
  3. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes but you have to see it from her point of view she was too sadden about Anakin

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So?

**** happens. Relationships go to hell All. The. Time. It's part of life.

I can sympathize with how sad she is up to the point where she chooses the stupidest way possible of dealing with that sadness.

Butch up prom queen. It's not all about you.

Thrawn1786 and Yanksfan like this.
  5. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I kind of think it wasn't dramatic enough. That is a huge point in the saga, and it doesn't seem so huge when you watch it, to be honest.

6. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Ooobah. Ooobah.

kainee and CT-867-5309 like this.
  7. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah, her dying because she "lost the will to live" always seemed stupid and selfish to me. Way to leave your newborns as practically orphans. You're a mother for all of two minutes and you fail miserably. Nice job, Padme.

You wanna go for tragedy and have her die? Fine (I don't like the can of plot-hole worms it opens up with Leia "remembering" her, but let's forget about that for a moment), let's go there. But for gods sake have her die for a legitimate reason. Complications due to child birth--or heck, even better--complications brought on by Anakin trying to Force choke her while she's 9 months pregnant. We'd need to iron out the details there, but it could be done. Because if Anakin was actually *directly* responsible for killing her, the bitter irony would be delicious.

On a positive note: I thought the baby that played Luke and Leia was absolutely adorable.

Thrawn1786 likes this.
  8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    @Naming the kids: She's very quick.

9. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    She could have thought it out before though, without the help of Anakin.

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    So if it's a boy, he will be Luke. And if it's a girl, she will be Leia? :p
    She's strong in the plot side of the Force.

11. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Seems to play perfectly into ANH;)

12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I thought this scene was one of the single most off the mark scenes in the PT, and especially in Ep III.

1. It was so forced the way she just called out names as soon as the babies were born.

2. This scene could have easily fit better with the OT had someone thought about it us a little bit. In ESB when Luke leaves for Cloud City, Obi-Wan says "That boy was our last hope...." This has been a point of contention since Ep III. It surely seemed that Obi-Wan was not aware of Leia, and the birth scene made a mess of that. All they had to do is not reveal that there were twins before the babies where being born, and hand Luke off to Obi-Wan and say "Get him out of here" and after he leaves, surprise, there is another!!!

3. The edit between the "Birth of Vader" and "Death of Padme" would have been much stronger if they cut the scene to have Vader's first breath coincide with Padme's last.

There were a few things we were all waiting for in the PT, and the birth of the twins was one of them, but if you ask me, it was one of the most disappointing things in the PT.

TX-20, Sarge and Carbon1985 like this.
  13. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Episode 3 has so many great scenes and then so many bad scenes, and this is one of those bad scenes. I can't explain it, but I cringe everytime I see Padme give birth to the babies and then loses the will to live.

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Hence the bad joke. ;)

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well firstly it's a Star Wars film so they're only going to get so graphic and linger on that kind of a scene for not too long.
    secondly people often groan about her 'dying of a broken heart' but Lucas basically wanted it that Anakin made his vision come true by his actions . If she had died from physical complications then it gives slightly more justification to him trying to stop it. It's complicated..it's not perfect.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know Lucas was going for the "self-fulfilling prophecy" angle but the end result was that Anakin looked like a dumbass.

17. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    All the broken heart deal made me think is that they brought her to the wroooong hospital.

When your robot designed for objective and logical medical diagnosis and treatment can't figure out how someone died and decides they "lost the will to live", you might need an upgrade. Just saiyan.

18. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Pretty much what my mother said. Yeah, the galaxy's screwed up to heck and back, and your heart is broken, and you have no idea what's happened to your husband, so go ahead and abandon your innocent babies to all of this chaos.

Mainly, there needed to be a much better reason for why she died. Just some bad writing there.

19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

I don't think you understand. Death by heartbreak isn't a voluntary thing--not in myth, not in stage plays or operas, not in real life--it "just" happens to someone.

What do you mean?

20. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

I think the point is that "losing the will to live" when you have two newborn babies doesn't make sense. Your children should be reason enough to keeping going. And the fact that they aren't for her, points to either a big flaw in the script, or to a big flaw in Padme as a person.

21. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

No, you don't understand. It's not a matter of volition. "Reason to keep going" is not, per the use of that particular trope (or real life, for that matter), something that would prevent death by heartbreak--anymore than it would prevent death by cancer or what have you. And it certainly doesn't say anything about "Padme as a person."

kainee likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Losing the will to live" is voluntary. And that says plenty about Padme as a person.

TX-20 and Yanksfan like this.
  23. PaulCarney

PaulCarney Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2013
    It's amazing to me that people still get hung up on Leia "remembering" Padme.

Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
    Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
    Luke: What do you remember?
    Leia: Just images really. Feelings.

The scene doesn't imply anything that contradicts the events of ROTS. On the contrary, it supports the events of that film. Padme DID die when Leia was very young and she is very specific that her "memories" are really just "IMAGES" and "FEELINGS". It's just an indicator of her force sensitivity.

kainee and Sarge like this.
  24. PaulCarney

PaulCarney Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2013
    I've also heard the complaint that the twins names were assigned too quickly or "forced". What pregnant person have you met who hasn't already picked out a NUMBER of names? Usually for BOTH sexes if they don't know which they are getting. It makes complete and total sense that she would already have decided on names.

kainee and Samnz like this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

It is absolutely not voluntary--it doesn't even make sense to consider it voluntary; "losing an arm" or "losing a child" aren't voluntary things, either.