main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, firstly, I think 40 ABY is more likely than 50-55 ABY. But in any case, I imagine it'd be quite tricky to skirt around such events, not to mention things like the Vong invasion. despite a "Just don't mention the war!" justification.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think an EU compatible ST would make everyone happy, I actually think it'd go against that being possible. Fans, casual viewers, filmmakers, etc. I know a lot of people who are Star Wars fans and wouldn't read a Star Wars book at all, but dig the movies. You tell them "Solo's Sith lord kid and Luke's wife died in a novel that came out almost 10 years ago and you don't see it in this movie you have a reading assignment to do. By the way, it's going to set you back a couple of bucks because it's a multi-book series. And the other kid and Chewie died in an even earlier series so go get those too!" their freakin' heads would explode that they missed that and think it'd be a cheat not to show it. I know I would and I know what happened and I haven't even read the book. You shouldn't have to read a book to get a full story from a film, damn skippy JJ Abrams knows that.

3. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    If I were a filmmmaker I would sure prefer being able to write as much as possible of the backstory *myself* to best support *my* story.
    The idea of the tail wagging the dog is.. Well I hope it doesn't happen that way.
    E7 is more important than EU.

4. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I was 40 when I had my third baby.

STOP CALLING ME OLD! :p

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Chewie's death has to be brought up.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    But, to try another angle, let's think about, say, a box-set of Star Wars. All happily sitting on your shelf (because Disney and Fox played nice to make a complete ep.1-9 set). Like a good fan, you want to chain-watch the whole thing. Or, quite possible in a decade or so, there's a 9 film Star Wars marathon on Spike TV or whatever. That transition between Ep.3 & 4 is really smooth and you don't miss a thing, people just grow up. If Ep. 7 fits smack-dab into a post-Crucible 45 years after the Death Star blew up perfectly with all EU-spawned main protagonists and backstory, it's an incredibly rough transition and, most importantly, you don't have a sense of completeness with the film series. There would just be a huge gap of story that happened. Which you can't watch when you sit down and watch the 9 film Star Wars saga. It doesn't fit, it doesn't compute.

It's all Del Rey's fault, they dug too greedily and too deep post Return of the Jedi and set up too many multi-book series around book-only characters and grew, sometimes married, sometimes killed off, sometimes Sith'd out, an entire generation into prime hero-ing age. Sure, they were acting under the assumption there wouldn't be a sequel trilogy, but, coulda, shoulda, woulda, etc. etc. They tried their best to make a book series. Some people liked it, some people didn't, some people don't want to read it. I would have much liked if they kept the Star Wars heroes in their perpetual 20s-early to mid 40s, prime hero-ing age and kept tossing superweapon and supervillians. I happen to like superweapons and supervillains. That is kind of a thing in Star Wars. And the kids in the Bantamn novels are just that. A kid. Hi kid. Nice to see you. Gonna go save the galaxy now. Seeya later. Not an entire book about one of their kids becoming a Sith Lord because, frankly, I have no investment in that character. Because I love the Star Wars characters.

I keep seeing the word "respected" thrown around. "The EU must be respected" "They have to respect the EU fans". But what about movie fans? Of which there are several million more movie fans as opposed to people who specifically delved into the post ROTJ minutiae and complex character stories. Why does *that* have to be the only way things can go? What about watching Episode 6 & then Episode 7, and there is a very smooth transition between the two. No moons on wookies, no dead Sith lord kids, no grandkids as main protagonists. That is something that a generational film series should strive to have, so as a viewing experience, it feels complete. Not this giant freakin' chunk just laying there, hacked off in between the two. That's not respecting the people who like movies.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if "EU 2.0" will include Star Wood.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That sounds so wrong. :p

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Huh?

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Tall and erect Star Wood?

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Who said anything about that?

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm just saying Star Wood is funny. Maybe I am silly. No harm intended.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    ok. I don't see whatever you see in "Star Wood".

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Really. Anyway, whatever you want to call Brian Wood's Star Wars, what are the chances of it being included in "EU 2.0"?

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    50/50. Not like anything's really happened it in yet. There's only a handful of new characters, most of whom will likely die as the series goes on, or leave the Empire/Rebellion for other areas. About the only idea presented thus far that might make it into the ST is a ship the size of a TIE Interceptor having a hyperdrive (since suddenly they do in Wood's SW).

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was talking about its canonicity, not it tying in to the ST.

18. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I have a friend who went to CEII who says he met Pablo and he told him he's "optimistic but nervous about the road ahead" when talking about the future of the EU. That isn't really news, just thought I'd share that.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Optimistic about EU 2.0, nervous aboout EU 1.0. Pablo's tweets seem to say just that.

20. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    From the Pablo's tweets... I've basically decided, "Yep, the satchel charges are set and their assembling a team to build the replacement. Now, if he'd only tell us which writer's he's signing up for this..."

Prays for Michael A. Stackpole, Aaron Allston, and Timothy Zahn to be on the team and hopes that Troy Denning is forever blacklisted. I'm probably not going to get that, am I?

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Denning is readable, but tone down the injuries! And don't be afraid to stray away from the Jedi Order!

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Not so sure about Zahn.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Sorry, I can't forgive Dark Nest, and it basically killed all my interest in the EU afterward, so I haven't read most of the LoTF and FoTJ stuff. Which considering what happened, I'm happy I didn't.

Zahn being aboard will probably be tied up with what if anything they decide to do with the characters from the Thrawn Trilogy. If Mara Jade is alive or we're given evidence that Luke has or had a spouse and child, I'd say it's more likely as Zahn has said he wanted to right a Skywalker family novel. On the flip side, if Luke is explicitly single I'd lay odds that Zahn won't be coming back, at least not for this era.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant that I'm not so sure I want Zahn. We all know how Zahn Mary Sues and Gary Stus.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    stellarmagic01 Dark Nest had its good moments and bad moments. The Killiks are way over the top but Alema and Raynar in LOTF and FOTJ were awesome. Invincible, Apocalypse and Crucible are very questionable, hanging plotlines, injuries, character assassinations and some other things but I can read them. The plot of the post NJO books are bad but they could have come up with something that worked quite easily. A complete re-do would be better but change some things in LOTF and FOTJ and it would work imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.