main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga which scene should have been longer/shorter/cut?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthfettus2015, Jul 27, 2013.

1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    In SW there are some scenes that go on far too long....(droid factory) Padme and Anakin at the waterfalls (should have been cut or at least without those stupid animals) - but which ones should have been longer. I know some of them are short to keep the rhythm of the films but here are mine that I wish were a bit longer -

PT - The duel between Qui Gon and Darth Maul on Tattooine; Jedi Temple Massacre; Jango vs Obi Wan - (wish most of the ROTS cuts had been kept)

OT - The bounty Hunter scene in ESB; the Storytelling scene In ROTJ and cantina scene in ANH

Darth Dnej likes this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Cut - none
    Shorter - none
    Longer - Hm... not mentioning the deleted scenes I would have preferred to stay in, it would always be nice if the Vader/Obi-Wan duel from ANH was a bit more... exciting. Even for the standard of the other two OT ligthsaber duels, it's pretty um... and old man does a pointless and slow spin. Yeah

kainee likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The shot of the rancor keeper crying like a baby was too much. The first shot, when he just kind of gasped, was fine, but the second shot was over the top.

4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    The duel is purposely slower then the others simply because Lucas made the lightsabers appear much heavier to mirror sword fights from mid evil time movies. Lucas/Kersh decided to change that for ESB by make the lightsabers lighter to make the duel more faster hence why Vader fights with one hand in ESB and with 2 hands in ANH. This is another example where the original was true to Lucas intent and the sequels are the ones that give it a different context.

5. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I'm not a nitpicker and I'm not under the impression that my ideas are better than what's in the movies... Buuuuut I'll bite.

I - Longer Maul and Palpatine scenes, dial back on the Jar Jar - just a bit.
    II - Shorter Geonosis battle. It just goes on and on and on...
    III - That subplot about the Council getting Anakin to spy on the Chancellor doesn't really need to be there.
    IV - The scene at Toshe Station with Biggs should be inserted.
    V - The Special Edition makes a big whoop-de-doo about Vader flying back to the Executor. Dial it back.
    VI - Yoda's. Kriffing. Death scene.

My biggest groan in the Saga, of which there are only a few, is the 2nd half of the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight, where things get way too overblown. No idea how I would touch it... just get them to the damn slope already!

Darth Dnej likes this.
  6. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I don't know if this counts as a "longer" scene I would like to see, but on Bespin when Vader ambushes Han and Leia in the dining room? I've *always* wanted to see what happened right after those doors sealed shut.

Eh, it's probably better the way they did it, and leave it to our imaginations. But gaaah.....that could be a cool scene to see, I think.

7. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    Should have been Cut: Droid Factory in Clones. Stupid, looked and played like a video game. A gorilla throwing barrels at Anakin wouldn't have been out of place. Don't know why they cut out the scenes with Padme's family and included that instead

8. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    the ANH duel is perfect imo and dont understand why people say such things, its two old men maintaining their grace and poise...its longer than the Tattooine duel which should have been much longer as the setting was perfect

Carbon1985 likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I generally don't feel it's really my place to say this kind of thing. That said, two things that immediately come to mind are shortening the podrace and reinserting the cut scenes in ROTS about the creation of the Rebellion.

10. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Personally, I think the Yoda Vs. Sidious duel should've been longer and Yoda Vs. Dooku.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  11. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'd say it's problemtatic because their "speed" makes it quite hard to justify why none of them just took a blaster and shot the other ;)

Personally, I would shorten the Droid Factory scene (not cut it completely, because it contains some nice symbolism) and insert the extended version of Obi-Wan's conversation with Jocasta Nu (because it nicely fleshes out Dooku's character which, I think, was missing a bit for an average viewer) in exchange.
    And I would probably insert the third "Rebellion scene" only in ROTS.

kainee likes this.
  12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Episode I - Cut the whole film.
    Episode II - Cut the scene where Anakin confesses to Padme about being a homicidal maniac. Add the scene where Anakin and Padme visit her parents home on Naboo.
    Episode III - Longer fight between Yoda and Sidious. Cut the birth of the twins and the death of Padme.
    Episode IV - Cut the redundant scene between Han and Jabba.
    Episode V - Cut the pointless scene about how Vader gets back to the Executor.
    Episode VI - Cut Jedi Rocks (and BURN THE PRINT!)
    Episode VII - Cut the scene where the main female is in her underwear for no reason.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I personally am a huge fan of extended versions no matter what the movie, so I wouldn't cut anything. I may have cut the excessive slapstick with Jar Jar in TPM, but that's it.

Now as far as extended scenes, I am one of those who would've loved to see extended versions of each of the Star Wars episodes similar to the Lord of the rings. I would love to have seen certain deleted scenes in the PT (especially ROTS.) Also, there are certain scenes that I felt were somewhat abbreviated that I felt some of the dialogue that they cut out actually made the scene better-like the conversation Between Anakin and Padme on the refugee ship in AOTC. According to the script, there was apparently a lot more to that conversation that I felt really helped flesh out their characters. but most of it was cut out and at times the prequels tend to feel like just a two hour movie trailer due to its editing. As far as the OT, There are also certain deleted scenes that we've seen or heard about that I would've loved to see kept in there (I'm sure you all know what they are)... Also I think that scenery, wide shots and environments were underutilized because the characters were focused on-which is good, Don't get me wrong-but there was little attention given to their surroundings...with such a rich and colorful Exotic environment, I would've thought that seeing more of places like Dagobah, or more scenes in different parts of the death Star besides just the hallways, or more of the Massassi temple on Yavin-I think there were opportunities there to extend the scenery shots to make the most of the beautiful environments that everyone was in. The SEimproved on this idea, with additional shots of Mos Eisly spaceport in ANH, and cloud city in ESB, and the prequels did this well, but There were many other beautiful locations that I would've loved to see more of, Even if it was just a panning shot at the beginning of the scene or something similar. At times that just seemed like a missed opportunity to me. So I apart from the deleted scenes, I suppose the only other things I would like to see extended with the OT would be more scenery and wide shots here and there...

kainee likes this.
  14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I wonder how many monumentally significant things happen at the end of ROTS in the same amount of film time as is devoted to ... the pod race ...

only one kenobi, Vthuil and Pensivia like this.
  15. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

Here is Seth Green and CO's take on what you wanted to see

Yanksfan and Seagoat like this.
  16. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013

I'm with you on Episode I. Actually, keep Jar Jar in the film, until Darth Maul beheads him when returning to Padme's ship after the pod race on Tatooine. That would make the film so much more watchable.

TX-20 likes this.
  17. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Bwhahahahahhahaha!!!! That's awesome! So funny, that I think my curiosity has almost been appeased. Thanks! :)

18. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    you're welcome

19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    really dont get the TPM hate, its actually a much better film than AOTC, I think it suffers more as it was the first one released and it has a slower pace, the duel of the fates would grace any SW movie - and the Pod race is amazing, especially when sitting on the floor with cushions with your 3 yrold son pretending to drive the things!!

kainee likes this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Cut-
    I would say the bit in TPM after arrival on Coruscant, when Anakin can't decide whether to stay with Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Valorum, or go with Padme and Palpatine, and Qui-Gon has to motion to him to run along. That scene always strikes me as very weird.

Also, I would cut the insanity between Anakin and Padme when he tells her about killing the Tuskens- also cut the floating fruit scene. We get the picture, especially in the evening scene that directly follows.

Shorten-
    The podrace. Way too long.

The trip through the planet core.

Chase scene on Endor when Luke and Leia go against the troopers on speeder bikes. The coolest part is when Luke jumps off, rolls, and ignites the green blade. Too much before that.

Any scene with Jabba the Hutt, or any of that mess to start ROTJ- probably my least favorite part of any of the films.

Lengthen- Too many to name, really, but here are a couple.

Start with the scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan before Obi-Wan heads to Utapau. There was a deleted scene thrown in there, or a scene in the book where Obi-Wan visits Padme, but the gap is noticable, and a talk between friends would have been nice to fill it.

Maul and Sidious on the balcony. No reflection into Maul whatsoever in this scene.

The Senate scenes in TPM- Valorum was a wasted opportunity- most fans probably prefer less politics, and for the story to speed along, but I would have liked to have seen some interaction with the Jedi, at least, to get a read on some visible contrast with Palpatine (outside of fact that he isn't bent on their destruction).

Finally, have to add more to the AOTC duels, they just don't stack up in terms of balance with TPM and certainly not ROTS. They're anti-climactic, and the Anakin-Dooku one in particular. Know there were limitations with Mr. Lee, but it's pretty rough.

kainee likes this.
  21. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Oh my....[face_laugh][face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Poor George. He really doesn't deserve this.

PT : cut or remake the picnic/waterfall scene in AOTC. Cut the brief Padme/Anakin balcony scene in ROTS ("I'm so in love with you..."). Cut and remake suited Vader's birth in ROTS : and ABSOLUTELY burn the "NOOOOOooooo" !!! (I know Lucas was particularly fond of this one...Sorry George).

OT : slightly extend Luke versus Vader duel on Cloud City in ESB : awesome ! Extend a bit Han Solo's unfreezing process in ROTJ : just like that short scene.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I actually like the AOTC duels a lot. They're kind of nicely restrained (more like the OT) when compared to the almost-over-the-top finale of TPM and the definitely-over-the-top finale of ROTS. And there's some nice visuals when Anakin and Dooku are going at it with the lights flickering.

Anakin's utterly useless double-wielding is a bit cheesy, though.

kainee likes this.
  23. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    utterly agree with the picnic scene, (tho i love the setting) cut the animal riding please please please please, but oddly I dont mind 'Noooooooooooooo' at all

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  24. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Interesting thread...

TPM:

--shorten the pod race (sorry darthfettus! :()
    --cut some of Jar Jar (lately I've actually started to enjoy him in a few places...egads, what's happening to me?!..."I'm not the SW fan I should be..." :p), but the flatuence joke bit has to go! (I actually don't mind his stepping in poo in the other scene, since IIRC there's no dialogue with it and it's more of a side detail as the camera shows the whole group walking through the streets)
    --cut the sub ride through the planet core down a bit...the visual joke of the "bigger fish" idea doesn't need repeating (though that last giant creature is cool-looking)
    --more Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon interaction (I just love the short "I shall do what I must, Obi-Wan" scene)
    --longer Darth Maul/Sidious balcony scene

AOTC:

--I don't know what to say about the Anakin/Padme romance scenes...it's not that they are too long or need to be longer...I just didn't find them well-executed, but of course they're crucial to the plot, so...[face_dunno] (and I actually like the animals in the picnic scene, even though the effects of having the live action Anakin "ride" the creature don't look that great)
    --add deleted scenes at Padme's home back in
    --I agree with some of the common criticisms of the droid factory scene (the fact that it goes on too long; the "video game" quality etc), but I really love a couple of parts of the scene (one of my all-time fave Threepio lines: "Machines making machines--how perverse!" and seeing Artoo flying to the rescue with his thrusters) so I wouldn't want to lose those
    --the Genosis arena battle: I actually enjoy most of it...the only change I would make is maybe cutting down part before Mace arrives and the rest of the Jedi get involved, since the best part for me is seeing so many Jedi fighting together at one time!
    --this is not a specific cene, but there's definitely something else that needs cutting in AOTC: Obi-wan's hair ! (hate the "Jedi mullet" look, with the notable exception of when its completely wet on Kamino...[face_love])

ROTS:

--put "Rebellion formation" deleted scenes back in...definitely need more Bail Organa :) !
    --Order 66 scenes: pretty awesome as is, but maybe a scene of adult Jedi/older padawans trying to defend themselves against Anakin and the clones could be added; leave the Youngling scene just as it is (nobody wants to actually see what happens there, of course)...it would be nice if we had come to "know" some of the Jedi who are shown killed in these scenes a little bit more before they die, but I can't really see how that would be feasible unless one or two of them had been at least briefly introduced more in one of the earlier PT films (like Mundi is)
    --keep Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel just as it is (I loved every single moment of it, including the operatic, "over the topness" factor!)

I'll add my 2 cents in on the OT later (have in ESB and ROTJ left to go in my summer blu-ray viewing...)

kainee and DarthDuckie like this.
  25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Actually include more of the Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Dooku duel in Attack of the Clones. Goes by a bit too fast for my liking.

The raid of the Droid Control Ship from Attack of the Clones is another scene I would have LOVED to see in the movie. One of the problems with Attack of the Clones is that it never really expanded upon secondary characters like Ki-Adi Mundi and Plo Koon. And it explained why both of those aforementioned Jedi had to be taken into the arena separately.

kainee likes this.