main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Midi-chlorians in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StarWarren, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I think they should not mention the midi-chlorians, if only to avoid getting a lot of people angry like with the introduction of them in the PT; I think they are aware of how many dislikes the concept.

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Research is part of your profession, too? Captain Tom Coughlin Apparently, not mine.

Captain Tom, I agree with you that Lucas has had to create and re-create his art, but that's what artists do. Especially if we would like to see the 'Further Adventures of Luke Skywalker'.:) I also complain about the man. I have plenty of criticism to share about the PT (even ROTJ). Out of respect for my hero, I will refrain. Your're welcome. But I like the MC's, find them consistent and possibly part of a broader Saga. I can't wait to see the ST.

BTW: I follow You. You express great ideas well. That's a nice compliment.:cool:

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

I remember learning that mitochondrial ATP is necessary for cell division.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    YOU ARE A RESEARCHER, TOO! You guys are so darn pedantic!:p

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    But I might actually care about Solo if he had been a lizard!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Immortiss
    Yes, I am a chemist and I don't like my beloved science being mixed with esoterics.

ATP is necessary for - well, pretty much anything. When Mitochondria are killed by poison you die. Quickly. Very quickly.

Count Yubnub and Immortiss like this.
  7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Oh, that was only half the point, and not even the most relevant. The part of that thread you are going to want to focus on starts somewhere around page four, when we see some of Lucas's disingenuousness at work.

The man went back changing quotes to make the history behind these ideas more consistent with how things ended up. In essence, he changed history.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    When you're rich, you can do such things. :p

Immortiss likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Sure, but the man has no credibility when discussing his own work. When you do things like that, and it was no surprise to me that he did, your word loses it's value.

Lucas has always been a walking contradicton, so pointing to this or that quote is essentially meaningless. The only thing that he says that counts with me, is what he said through his films. What actually found it's way into the films is the only thing that matters.m

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Certainly. For the record, I didn't drop Wookiepedia-level GL quotes in here to prove any points... it is just good to have what currently exists of his words present for this conversation.

George Lucas Quotes: Special Edition

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Then the reliability of said quotes is fair game. Did he really have midiclorians in mind when Empire was being made? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. That was a collaboration, and it's more spiritual message did not come entirely from him alone. The midiclorians may have been in his mind, they may not have. The movie suggests that they were not.

Some of his early thoughts on midiclorians were that certain aliens had a better connection to the force than humans because their minds were wired differently, that doesn't seem consistent with a virgin birth human space messiah with a million force hitpoints in his blood.

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Nobody has to convince me. I don't honestly have a stake in any of this, either way.

Debates over ambiguous fictional material is fun to moderate, but my pre-occupying concerns are more like: paying my bills, feeding my wife and children, when is my pizza going to be delivered, what is this rash...?

14. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    In the end...take what you will. If it's maligned for you, that's too bad. What else can I say?

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I can say nice things about them. They happen to be in one of my favorite scenes in the prequels. Palpatine relating his story about Darth Plagueis, that's a great scene. It works to somewhat redeem the idea. I still think it's a mess in the saga as a whole, but it does redeem the idea somewhat.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    A Dark Side infection!

17. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Good Man!

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    How so? Symbiosis is good for both parties, but a parasite is bad for the host.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If you'd had everything you'd ever said publicly about a given subject recorded for posterity over a 35 year period, you'd appear to be "inconsistent" too; would you also be "disingenuous"? Disingenuous: Not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does. I'd say GL knows more about SW than anyone else; and as God of the GFFA he can change any part of it he wants to whenever he wants to. Tolstoy spent years upon years altering War & Peace until it ended up almost being the opposite of what it was originally intended to be; it's called "creativity" and "creative license".

Anyway, I doubt JJA or MA want to get into hot water upsetting the Fanboys and Fangals, we don't want any Cosplay Riots come 2015. Seeing how maturely the SW Fans(tm) handled this slight alteration to the concept of the Force in 1999, our new, infinitely more conservative Entertainment Overlords will probably steer clear of anything even remotely revolutionary.

Peace Out!

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sarge

Because both parasitism and symbiosis evolve from population dynamics and all kinds of complex factors that make up a certain environment. Not from "choice" by anyone. Animals are not sentient. And they don't follow human ethics. Neither do plants.

Parasitism is important because it is just another form of predation and without predation certain species could destroy the equilibrium of an environment (rabbits in Australia).

If Lucas thinks "symbiosis" is inherently good he fails at biology.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Read the thread that I posted. I didn't use the word disingenuous for the hell of it. What do you call actions like that? That's a deceptive action that he took. Do you deny that?

22. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I sure do! He's still in the act of creating this universe and story. It'll keep changing until he's dead; and after that, since others will continue to make up SW stories, it will continue changing. All that was recorded was his idea at given times. They weren't commandments written in stone. As the creator of SW he can change it in any way he sees fit. He's as "disingenuous" as any other artist who continued to work on their art over long periods of time.

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Then you are in favor of actively lying to people. That's what he did. Your post is absurd. That isn't like other artists, that is purposeful deceit.

I don't think you understand what it is that you are defending.

24. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    It's called a "metaphor". You'll find them a lot in drama and fiction. I mean, does the notion of the Force also give him a failure in biology? Does sound in space fail him in physics? Why choose to take only one aspect of SW to take completely literally?

25. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.