main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Star Wars authors refrain from doing Romances?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tylrkrby, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It had some good moments but the romance should not be the most important part of the story.

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Just like Twilight is the most epic tale of romance since Romeo and Juliet?

darth fluffy likes this.
  3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    COPL doesn't fail because of the romance aspect, but because of characterization issues. Wolverton throws Leia (and Han, but to a lesser extent) under the plot bus.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, Han wins a planet from a guy in a bar.

5. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    No, as others have said it just needs to be better written when its used. The Luke/Gaerial romance in Truce at Bakura was well done, didn't detract from either character, and made for many interesting situations. It allowed us to view both characters in a different light and with greater depth. I could say the same for the Han/Leia romance in various novels (Because that is basically the original romance of the entire series), and the Corran/Mirrax romance (Very well done). An example of a bad romance plot would be Jag/Jaina, which dragged on forever, ruined Zekk as a character, and became far more important than it should have been.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think that was a good romance gone bad, not a bad romance. Jag/Jaina worked very well, the only problem is, as you said, it went on too long and threw Zekk to the neks, to coin Luke's phrase. Jag/Jaina should've married in the LOTF-FOTJ gap.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    The Jaina/Jag romance started well in the NJO, and was largely consistent there. Then Denning weighed in on the shipping wars in DNT, adding Zekk, and it got messy from there.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Never really cared for Jaina and Zekk in YJK, liked Jaina and Jag in NJO and hated the whole thing after.

9. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

I'll agree. It started off well, but became detrimental to later storylines.

10. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I can agree with this. It does get somewhat old if all the romances are the one-true-love variety.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Though the guy who “lost” it still seems to have gotten the better deal. ;)

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You all are reaffirming my choice not to read anything past TUF. Thanks. :D

13. imperator 277

imperator 277 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2013
    I personally hate jag Fel. Why jaina married him is a mystery and I will never understand the authors. Those two are complete opposites. At the end if Apocalypse, Han said he didn't want his daughter giving birth to little imperials. Too late! The Fel emperors are descended from jaina and to a further extent, Han! I liked the Tenel Ka/jacen romance in YJK. Tahiri became his apprentice because she was lured with promises of bringing back the boy she loved and couldn't let go of. She wasn't evil. Only sad and lost. When the Vong war ended she was a girl who lost everything and that sorrow caries onto her adult life.

I was disappointed that Ben/Vestara didn't work out but the future is always in motion and I am rooting for them. When she opened her heart to Ben that was when she started turning towards the light but still did things the sith way. Only difference is she had real love in her heart. She had no faith I herself that she could become a jedi and thus couldn't have a place with Ben. So she left. The Ben/ves relationship is similar to Luke/Mara in some ways.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Nah let them do it. I wanted to see the Ben Vestara thing develop but now I guess we wont

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  15. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    I wish they would. It's so annoying when a crappy romance is shoe-horned in just for the sake of having it there. It's even worse with action films.

16. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    If there was no romance at all we wouldn't have Han/Leia.

LMFAO she commits mass murder in Crucible and it seems pretty clear that Ben despises her. That ship was pretty much sunk regardless.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Pretty much everyone in SW commits mass murder. Personally, I don't think 'romance' should even be applied to relationships in SW as to me none are in the least bit romantic. I likewise do not care for sex in SW so I'd be glad if it stops.

18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    This generation will be the last generation.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Watch Denning bring them back together soon enough if we continue.

20. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Yeah, mass murder would be kind of a turn off. Then again, so is looking like a ginger Justin Beiber.

21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    She was mostly fine, and things going well between the two, then suddenly DENNING! Apocaylpse and Crucible pretty much sank (or tried to) sink the pairing.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Then suddenly DENNING!" is such a great way of describing the EU's problems in general.

EECHUUTA, Grey1, CT-867-5309 and 2 others like this.
  23. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Not for Kyp Durron fans!

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Kyp/Jaina is a better concept than Jag/Jaina.

*ducks*

Ulicus likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Don't duck.

Especially when you're right.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.