main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    This is best commentary from Game of Thrones. Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark) and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) on Robb and "Talisa"

JackG and RC-1991 like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I shall henceforth refer to any and all sexual activity as "sauciness".

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Maybe if Marvel gets the SW comic license back, we can get a storyline of Scarlet Witch declaring NO MORE JEDI!

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think I accidentally saw the commentary when watching S2 with a friend, but I may have missed that bit since she talked over most of the ep. Will have to take a look when I get home.

And yep -- three months. They take a while to review these things it seems. Generating the curve and deciding how many new lawyers to admit to the bar etc...

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    So the Bar is like a GM? Go ahead and roll the dice, then we will tell you what the results are to fit what we want to happen.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I love that they got the actors to talk through some of the history of the realm; Marg talks about House Tyrell in Robert's Rebellion etc. I also think that the deleted scenes are good, though I have yet to listen to the audio commentaries.
    By the way, have you seen Season 3 yet, Lugija?

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    27 weeks to go.

My first prediction of the red wedding (all I know about it are those two words):
    I guess it's the wedding of Joffrey and Margaery (other options are Stannis and Melisandre or Daenerys and N.N.). There will be a big wedding party, Joffrey will tell the story of how he almost caught a big fish, Tywin laughs so much that he falls from a chair, Tyrion and Varys play a board game, Cercei compliments Margaery of her dress choice and amidst all the excitement Littlefinger spills red wine to the white tablecloth. "Petyr!" everyone says in unison. Roll the credits.

jSarek, RC-1991 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Close enough.

9. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, that's basically it.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You missed the part where the credits roll over a freeze frame.

Barriss_Coffee and Lugija like this.
  11. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I have taken far too long to get into Agent of the Empire. I'm on Iron Eclipse #3 now, and it has been excellent so far. Sad to hear that the series got cancelled but I'm lloking forward to Alderaan and Dooku shenanigans next arc.
    Seriously: James Bond in space, diplomatic intrigue, great continuity, fantastic -- what's not to love?

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So I'm rereading the Jedi Academy Trilogy as the start of my march to the NJO, and I don't even notice the terrible characterization and awful dialogue. I have reached Daala's introduction, and can think of nothing else but this person becoming Chief of State. I literally cannot imagine a scenario where a writer would read this book and say, "this person, this person right here. She has to be leader of the galaxy."

jSarek, tjace, Yoda_S and 4 others like this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It doesn't really make sense until you get to the end of Planet of Twilight.

14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I also recently read it, and found that the largest error in characterization was how it took Leia so long to realize that Yavin 4 is the best place to train new Jedi. Come on, it has the Lost City of Jedi! And a machine to control weather, that would be useful in training exercises.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I can understand the indecisiveness. In a galaxy of over 20 planets, there are quite a few great choices. I mean, Dagobah is the home of Mount Yoda and the illustrious Dagobah Tech! That's gotta be worth something.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm on chapter 24 of Star by Star and waiting with great apprehension for the **** to hit the fan.

The Jedi Academy trilogy was one I was going to ask you all about after I finish the NJO.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yep, there's yer problem right there.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

The thing that I can say about JAT is that I remember it being a page turner. When I read them a few years ago, I remember rolling my eyes at the dialogue, but also reading them in about a day or two each and generally enjoying the time I spent doing so. I think this was partially because they were my first Star Wars books after the Thrawn trilogy, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and Truce at Bakura: it felt like a whole universe was opening to me, and that covered up most of the flaws (and there are A LOT of flaws). Rereading them now, I'm much less of a fan. Even so, they're far from the worst books in the EU, and they actually have a few decent scenes.

I would have recommended them because they introduce a plethora of characters that I've heard go on to be important, but since you've already read the NJO (and damn you for skipping right to something that I'm unreasonably building up to :)), I imagine you don't really need the introductions. Still, they might be worth reading. Kind of hard for me to say.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Love the JAT. They were my first SW books. So much fun.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Been years since I read SBS, over a decade, have you had the Battle of Talfaglio yet?

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Me too; I think it's the one with the Borg.

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh, you guys...

It's definitely the only SW book that made me openly weep.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Just past where Anakin and Lowie found Ganner with the coufee in his neck.

krtmd, I cried for four chapters of Vector Prime. I've got a full tissue box on standby for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

krtmd likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Errrrr.... So .... yes?

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Clearly NJO virgins are more like "OMG JIMMY!" than "OMG BATTLE OF TALFAGLIO!" when reading SBS. That's how I was, then I took a Trip with Hav and had a much greater appreciation for the battle on my second reading. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.