main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How is the Thrawn trilogy comic book adaption? no spoilers please

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008
    I was wondering about this one. I've always enjoyed the novels.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's very...artistically done.

3. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I was wondering about that too, since I've ordered the hardcover edition of the comics (more for the visuals than anything else).

4. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008
    What a ...cryptic answer. ;)

BoromirsFan likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's a sweet read, I think the art kinda decreases in awesomness as it goes on, and it is rather wordy by comic book standards (they're cramming Zhan's prose into there which, generally, comics don't talk as much cuz you gotta get the art), but worth a look. There's a panel where Leia wakes up in bed topless. I think it's in the Dark Force Rising adaptation, when they're going to the Wookie home planet. I'm actually not even kidding. It's shaded out. Very artistically done.

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The artist's complete disregard for any previous depiction of the things he was drawing, and in many cases of Zahn's own description of those things, made it hard for me to enjoy it. The fact that those depictions have gained a kind of primacy in the EU, moreso. He's the reason that Mara Jade, who is known for wearing a sleeve gun in Zahn's books, is wearing a sleeveless jumpsuit in most depictions of the character. He's also the reason there are two kinds of Bimms, that no one is sure if Mazzic is a Human or a Myke, that vornskrs have cartoonishly large heads, that meekish Ghent has facial tattoos, and that Talon Karrde is often drawn as something of a thug despite his refined description in the novels. Thankfully, the hulking Noghri and clean-shaven Pellaeon have mostly fallen on the ash heap of EU history.

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    One of the annotations in the Twentieth Edition of Heir to the Empire points out a mention in the narrative of Karrde being clean-shaven. Zahn says he was surprised by the later artistic renderings of the guy, but ended up rolling with the beard in his later books. The beard itself predates the comic adaptation, but yeah, the earlier pictures of him still had him looking pretty refined rather than shaggy.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Karrde is also mentioned as having short hair in one of the books, I think DFR, but only three pictures have ever reflected that. There's a long, long history of art not matching literary description throughout the EU (see Kueller, whose super-creepy flexible skintight skull mask in the book, which made him look like an actual talking skull, suddenly consistently turned into a metallic, rigid, vaguely skull-shaped helmet with giant horns whenever it got drawn), but it's a particular issue in this case because of the extensiveness of the visual adaptation.

That said, the art itself is fantastic. The artist is different for the adaptation of each book, and I like all the art styles. HTTE had a very cool, stylized look from a French artist.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dark Force Rising had an awesome more photorealistic style.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Last Command had the art of Edvin Biukovic, which is classic comic style. Really great art.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Myke, definitely myke

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The only problem I have with them is they remove the possibility of Mara's sleeve gun because she...doesn't...have...sleeves. Other than that it's great.

kataja likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Of some reason I always read it as meaning shoulder holsters, maybe it was the translation or maybe I read part of the comics before the books - I actually don't remember - and got my mental picture from there[face_dunno]

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    The visual aspect is majorly improved by Olivier Vatine (all of HTTE) and Edvin Biukovic (first half of TLC).

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, Mara's forearm holster has always confused me. It's mentioned throughout the Trilogy as being her trademark, and yet I'm not sure I've ever seen a visual representation of it. Is it on top of her forearm or below it? Which way do you draw the blaster from, above or below? It just seems really impractical compared to an old-fashioned hip or thigh holster, or even a shoulder holster.

14. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I think the art in the Dark Force Rising adaptation was great!
    The comics are not bad at all. Sometimes I thought the large amounts of dialogue were disturbing, but that is all.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm consistently annoyed at the lack of epaulettes on Thrawn despite being right on the book cover... and moreover the baleful influence it's had on all Thrawn figures and statues. At least those things use the rank insignia from the cover... The white gloves are a nice touch, I guess.

I do really love that TLC has a portrait of Amidala in the Imperial Palace, and that the Solo-Skywalkers have no idea who she is. Why the Emperor would honor her is beyond me -- perhaps he had a soft spot for her -- but it's a nice pre-TPM linkup. Shame that later EU PT references are so terrible.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

jSarek likes this.
  16. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Would it be better to read the novels or the comics of the thrawn trilogy first?

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Novels, no question about it.

18. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Agreed. The comics abridge a bit, it's worth reading the novels to get the whole story.

19. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    To get the whole story?

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The comics are abridgements.

21. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, they don't skip any of the important stuff, but novels by their very nature explain and expand a lot more of character actions and motivations, and there's some dialogue missing from the comics as well. Again, nothing important, the story is the same, but it's like listening to an abridged version of the audiobook. I'm OCD enough that I don't appreciate knowing that something was left out of the story I'm reading, and I prefer a work in its original format. If you read the comic before the novel, though, it probably won't matter, because you wouldn't realize what's missing.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd also say that a reader wouldn't appreciate the comics fully without having read the novels first.

Then again I felt the same way about ASOIAF but for some reason people like the show on its own.

23. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    As long as he's not Duros...[face_whistling]

As to my knowledge, Heir to the Empire Sourcebook is the only place's she's pictured with one. http://kataja.mono.net/9691/images of Mara Jade
    But practical? Well, you know, writers...:p

24. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks for the picture, that does look how I imagined it to. Not exactly concealed carry, is it? She'd have to be wearing something with really poofy sleeves to hide it. It's like she's wearing one of those workout weight armbands, only with a gun inside it.

25. GreatBeyonder

GreatBeyonder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Worth mentioning that Pellaeon's famous moustache is never mentioned in the original trilogy, hence never depicted in the comics. Funnily enough, everyon just imagines him as Watson in Imperial uniform to Thrawn's Holmes anyway. ;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.