main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone remember an ILM open house - 1984 or 85?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by ClayK, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ClayK

ClayK Jedi Knight

Jul 31, 2013
    I've been looking for info on an ILM event my dad brought me to when I was a kid. It was a day-long event in or near Marin County, in an indoor theater with a stage, probably at a community college or rec center. The day started with a screening of the mine cart chase in Temple of Doom, then there were talks all day from the artists at ILM. I wish I knew who spoke that day. After lunch they opened up the stage and we were able to walk around and look at all sorts of models and characters they had on display. Later they showed the graveyard/food scene from Young Sherlock Holmes. That's about all I can remember. I'm guessing it was in '84 or '85 because I remember The Temple of Doom had already been released.

If anyone has info or can point me to more info on this, I would love to see it. I've worked in the animation industry for 19 years and I feel that this was one of the inspirations that got me to where I am today.

Thanks,
    Clay Kaytis

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That does sounds pretty interesting, can't seem to dig up any information on it from Google...a search turned into house for rent ads pretty fast.

3. ClayK

ClayK Jedi Knight

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks for searching. I ran into the same problem. Lots of new ILM links but nothing related to what I remember. I swear it was REAL! :)

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Quick Google search came up with this:

http://www.insideskywalkerranch.com/prologue.htm

Absolutely no idea how authentic the information on this page is, but it does sound like the sort of thing that happened back then. Perhaps your dad had some sort of dealings with LFL or Skywalker Ranch and scored something similar - maybe prize-winners took the same tour granted as a bonus to employees and their families?

DarthBoba likes this.
  5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know anything about it but it's a pleasure to see an animator on the boards!

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well if you were shown footage from Young Sherlock, it had to be 85 as the film was shot in 84 and wouldn't have been ready to screen then. ILM was still working on the pastry sequence. So it had to be at least 85.