main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Swords & Swordplay etc

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I had to be careful because the blade is still sharp. It's reassuring, 'cause now I know I can deal with someone talking smack. Plus it made a cool noise when I unsheathed it.

I hadn't seen it in years, so I got details wrong-- it doesn't look as mutilated as I had remembered.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I was scrolling down the page hoping I could still get dibs on being the second person to claim they thought of it, but no. :(

Healer_Leona and epic like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    DarthGuy, it looks to me like the cover on the grip was removed. If a sword is used often, whatever the grip is wrapped in tends to wear out and needs to be replaced. It's possible the cover was removed because it was worn out and nobody got around to replacing it. I'm no expert on katanas, but I think rayskin was a popular wrap when it was available.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I don't know if that was taken off before my grandfather acquired it or if it fell off during the 50-odd years it was in storage before I first saw it.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Aren't you supposed to return the weapon when an officer surrenders their sword to you?

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    My grandfather was a Lt. in the navy and a SeaBee, although he was transferred to a combat unit (I'm unclear as to how that worked) for the invasion of Kyushu. I don't know if anyone surrendered to him, but I doubt it. EDIT: And didn't all Japanese soldiers have to give up all of their weapons including ceremonial swords?

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [​IMG]

But no more than a broken heirloom.

8. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Pssst....I am Prince. And for my next performance....If you watch the whole thing, you'll most definitely start to weep, cause it's kind of slow, but I totally take it away from 4:00 on to the end :)

And from my next performance....

My grandfather did the same thing. Of course, I don't have that sword, because he still has it. I think the blade is dull now, but the hilt is also pretty plain.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    A new sword page..nice

10. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    As far as training, I've practiced Kendo and Iaido on and off for 13 years, Sabre, Epee, and foil for about the same amount of time. Also have machete skills as well.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Knowing sabre and machete, you'd be right at home with a cutlass.

Iron_lord and rumsmuggler like this.
  12. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    yep. my friends in the ODU fencing club used to call me the Human Cuisinart.. Also can fight with either hand.

Sarge likes this.
  13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Hilarious..

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    You should consider keeping it out of the sheath in one those standard (and cheap) display racks, edge up, and coat the blade in oil every once in a while if you want to preserve it.

Abadacus and Sarge like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    This.
    Scabbards and sheaths tend to trap moisture, which doesn't do a blade any good. That's a lesson I learned the hard way. And don't assume a blade can't rust because it's stainless steel; even the stainless ones need to be cleaned and polished from time to time.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ^^

This. In particular bare hands are oily. After an admiring woman's been touching the blade of your sword you should really make sure to wash it thoroughly.

...uh...

Swordwise I've got a couple of useless LoTR replicas hanging around; they aren't used for anything other than show. Likewise a replica of the Bride's weapon from Kill Bill, which if it is a replica proves that Uma Thurman really, really likes very loooong handles on her blades.

...um...

The most functional stuff I've got is wooden.

...er...

Oh, for Christ's sake. I've got a few bokken sitting away in a cupboard next to my quarterstaff. Maintenance is still needed for them. Sanding back and oiling with olive oil in particular tremendously lengthens the life of wooden blades. One guy I knew had a neat trick: he got a large-diameter length of PVC tube, sealed it at one end, put his bokken in it, and then filled the tube up with oil and just left it in there for a couple of days. What came out, once dried, was a glorious-to-handle bokken that could take strikes with spring steel leaving only little dents at the impact point.

17. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    OMG, I used to propose that (basically) to our Kobudo group, for our bo's, and they all thought I was crazy!

18. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I have had my mokum (Korean version of bokken) for about 4 years and it is still in really good shape. Lots of minor dents and chipping of the enamel coating but otherwise no cracks or splinters to worry about. That thing gets used very often, I don't use it much over the summers but from about September to May it is in use multiple times per week.

So how many people here have done any cutting? That is the bee's knees right there. There is no better way to put your technique and form to the test than to make some cuts and see if you get straight and clean slices. The minute you see a curve in your slice or can't cut through a wet bamboo tatami mat smoothly you know you have some issues with your technique. Usually ends up being caused by a drop in the lead shoulder, bad foot positioning or just trying to muscle through with a hacking motion rather than allowing the blade to slice as it is intended. Fixable, but it is hard to break bad habits once they are formed.

The only experience I have is with a katana, so not sure about the proper technique on straight bladed swords.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    All of my cutting experience is with straight swords. They're not intended to slice; it's more of a chop.

When you run out of tatami mats, plastic bottles filled with water work great. Save your soda bottles and milk jugs, hang them from a rope and swing them if you want to practice on a moving target. Or leave it hanging still and if you do a clean blow you will cut the bottle in half, the bottom will fall straight down and the top will just hang there not moving. Try it. It's fun.

And ditto to what Saintheart said about skin oils. Polishing a fingerprint out of a blade is practically impossible if you give it time to set. Can you guess how I know that? Of course you can.

Iron_lord and Mikaboshi like this.
  20. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I love katana swords because I am such a big fan of japanese culture and of the samurai. And I was thinking of buying myself a katana sword but I guess not sure whats at least a good enough replica katana sword at least is the blade really good even though its just gonna look pretty for me. Like are katana blades that are made out of high carbon steel quality katana blades to get?

21. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Those water noodles work great as well.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If you just want it to look pretty, you can find cheap replicas almost anywhere. A sharp, well-tempered blade that is good for cutting will cost a lot more. I don't own a katana, but I see them in catalogs all the time. Most of my blades are mid-range quality, good enough to use, but not ultimate top end high dollar stuff. I've been happy with most of the stuff I found at www.museumreplicas.com and I know they advertise katanas.
    If you find something specific you're interested in buying, tell us and we'll try to steer you away from any rip offs.
    Anybody have better advice? I really feel like I'm talking out my *** when it comes to oriental weaponry.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Zapdos likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Diet... water? [face_flag]

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    :oops:
    Well, not all of his cuts were really bad...

Iron_lord likes this.