main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    My views on Maul/Savage in TCW were a love-hate thing.

When they started hyping up Maul's brother (with a double bladed lightsaber), I thought it was an incredibly stupid loophole they were exploiting to get "Maul" back into the story. That he would look like Maul, talk like Maul, fight like Maul, etc. Only it would be his brother.

With the Nightsisters arc, I actually came to like Savage. Then I read the spoilers about Maul showing up in the crystal ball at the end of the arc and that sounded like the worst fan fiction ever. Then Maul shows up as an insane spider and it further cements the idea in my mind that a 5 year old had to have written that.

But then they go on to tell some great stories with Maul IMO, but Savage becomes useless and they pretty much undermine the Nightsisters arc. They make Savage an interesting character in his own right, but then undo that because now they've got Maul to play with.

There was a series of bad decisions made in regards to Savage/Maul IMO, but in the end they still managed to do interesting stories with them. I only wish they had used that creativity with characters like Grievous, Dooku, the CIS Council, original CIS villains, etc. Or even with Savage himself.

Savage could have done everything himself with some slight tweaks to the story. Make him see Obi-Wan in the crystal ball as the murderer of his brother, have that lead to a plot in revenge, have his strength grow proportional to his hate for Asajj and Obi-Wan. Free of his shackles to the Nightsisters, have him prove to be more intelligent then initially believed, have him enter into an alliance with Death Watch. Have Sidious become aware that there is some poorly trained Sith apprentice running around (obviously meaning that Dooku went behind his back).

Have there be a race in which Dooku realizes that he must eliminate Savage before Sidious finds out (too late). Dooku goes to Mandalore to confront Savage. Sidious walks in on them. Dooku and Savage decide to temporarily align to take out Sidious who they sense to be immensely powerful. Sidious kills Savage and defeats Dooku, ending with the same dialogue ("I'm not going to kill you, I have other uses for you").

Pretty much the exact same story, only without the need for Spider-Maul, Savage doesn't get thrown under the bus, no resurrecting dead characters, and giving Dooku something to do. Also wrapping up the storyline in which Dooku aims to usurp Palpatine.

2. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    TaradosGon

Yum. As a Dooku fan, that would have been great.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah, that sounds great. However one thing the lameness of bringing back Maul did that I thought really breathed some life into TCW was it introduced a superhero/ super villain rivalry dynamic between him and Obi-wan with a character who became an honorary OC. That's something TCW lacked. Savage just wouldn't have had the same dynamic unless he had been introduced much earlier.

The rivalries it had going like Anakin vs. Dooku and Obi-wan vs Grievous were so stale because nothing could really happen to either side. Hell, the Ahsoka vs Grievous duel in Young Jedi had a fun factor because it truely felt like she was getting her butt whooped even if it was certain she wouldn't die. There was still a tinge of uncertainty that something bad could happen to her. I agree TCW needed more OCs and didn't use them well enough.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  4. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    Agreed, the Anakin-vs-Hondo duel in 'Bounty Hunters' had me fearing for our favourite Weequay pirate's life, as did his confrontation with Grievous in Season 5. I'm all for the occasional 'movie characters knocking seven shades of sithspit out of each other' punch-ups every now and then, but to make them the bulk of the series' major duels was a wee bit of a mistake for the TCW crew.

Seerow likes this.
  5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought Hondo's men going at Anakin with slingshots was one of the funniest things in TCW. I was daring on of them to try aiming below the belt. = b

Barriss_Coffee and hlc88 like this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin fought Hondo?

7. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    Indeed he did! Here you go;

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh yeah, that episode, now i remember

9. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Apparently Toonami will be airing repeats of The Clone Wars:
    http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/56970634019/what-is-replacing-eureka-7-you-cheeky-bastards-i-love

However, I'm really pissed off at how an official Cartoon Network source is openly bashing the show:

They will not be airing the Jar Jar episodes because they think "lolz teh jar jar suxx". Where the hell does "non-continuity" come from? The Jar Jar episodes are firmly planted within the continuity of the series. In fact, he is pretty important to some arcs. So, do they plan to show only half of Dooku Captured? Portions of other arcs as well? Really stupid on Adult Swim's part. I won't be watching.

10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I, on the other hand, suddenly have major respect for Toonami. Haven't heard of a broadcaster just dropping crap episodes like that before.

Paparazzo, JackG, CT-867-5309 and 2 others like this.
  11. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Why not let the viewers decide what episodes are "crap" before censoring? I found several of the Jar Jar episodes to be good. I also found several non-Jar Jar episodes to be rather bad. Better to air the full series than to let some bitter fans decide what is aired and what isn't.

12. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Was that statement serious? They're not going to air the Jar-Jar episodes because of the people controlling that station doesn't like him? What kind of childiss nonsense is that?

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  13. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I sense that CN may be bitter about Disney taking Clone Wars off their hands... If they are serious about that statement... well... they have no respect for the show.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh, DVDs and Amazon Instant Video are better. I can just watch them in whatever order I want, then I can skip the episodes that I don't like, instead of having some network overlord decide for me which ones suck. And I don't have to deal with commercials.

Not sure what favors they think they're doing here, other than maybe filling up some empty time slots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Random Comments likes this.
  15. al patrickson

al patrickson Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2013
  16. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Of course. I wasn't serious. :p

Those episodes clearly aren't aimed at me. I'm not seriously saying that because I don't like something it should never be aired.

Oh, and I'm totally not bitter. I mean, I am, but over stuff in RL that affects me more directly, not Jar Jar!

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Adult Swim is kinda like Nick@Nite. Its a separate entity ratings wise. Although I'm miffed certain episodes will be skipped (perhaps with the intention of removing the more kiddie episodes) I think this is awesome. I've wanted Toonami to air TCW for a long time. Late night friends and DVR owners, lets all watch and boost those ratings.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know if they are serious about dropping the goofier episodes or not. But if they are trying to draw in an older audience with Star Wars action, they might be skipping episodes like the D-squad arc and episodes like Bombad Jedi as being counter productive.

TCW was all over the place in tone, from dark to lighthearted and silly. The might be trying to showcase certain aspects of the show at the expense of others.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Darth_Harmon
    Thanks for the quote.

There were quite a few episodes with low-ratings and criticized by fans. (Many can be skipped without losing relevant information.) I wouldn't waste 30 mins with a dud, when I could skip to an episode that will pull-in and/or maintain an audience. Remember, there are many people that have only heard of TCW and never seen it. This new time slot will cater to a new batch of casual watchers. If I was to introduce someone to TCW, I'd pretend Bombad Jedi never existed and jump straight to Cloak of Darkness.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Actually TCW's tone being all over the place will fit right in with Soul Eater on the same block.

Thundercats and Symbiotic Titan both aired on Toonami for a while.

This calls for a T.O.M. avatar!

22. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    It looks like Cartoon Network requested dropping the episodes:
    "We’ve been ASKED by the network to skip the super slow/irrelevant/kiddie episodes of Clone Wars. Our preference would be to run all five seasons of Clone Wars from beginning to end."
    Here's the link to it: http://toonami.tumblr.com/

For those who don't know, I believe Toonami actually airs Saturday Night on Cartoon Network during their nightly Adult Swim block. So doesn't make sense to expect the Bonus episodes there since Starwars.com already said they won't be airing on Cartoon Network.

23. al patrickson

May 17, 2013
    Well, adult swim is different from Cartoon Network because adult swim is more for mature shows, and if they air "The Clone Wars" bonus content, which is looking more adult-like by the previews, on adult swim, it would make a perfect fit.

24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I can see the distinction, but its actually the same channel. Just a different time slot. Lucasfilm isn't continuing to partner with Cartoon Network, they are cutting off the relationship. This is why the Bonus Episodes don't have a home yet.

25. al patrickson

May 17, 2013
    Actually, adult swim is different from Cartoon Network, because adult swim is for more mature and adult-aged shows and judging by how dark and adult-like the bonus episodes of "The Clone Wars" look, it would make sense for them to air the episodes on adult swim.