main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will Luke be 'General' Skywalker in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Immortiss, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I was reading Dark Horse Comics series: Star Wars #7, this evening and in the back it had a preview of the new J.A. Rinzler series called 'The Star Wars', based on George Lucas's 1974 rough draft of our favorite movie franchise. This gray-haired, middle aged man, General Skywalker, made a striking impression.

I have read posts speculating on the possibility that Luke secludes himself on a planet, like Yavin, near a Jedi Temple, training a new generation of Jedi (or not) and getting beckoned by New Republican leaders, when the conflict begins. A recluse and reluctant Luke. Obviously an Old Ben type, but for different reasons.

The rough draft version, 'The Star Wars', gave me a different impression. A man of action. A Jedi Master and a General ready to defend the New Republic without hesitation and with determination and fortitude. A man who would listen to counsel, but would make difficult decisions. Even if the consequences of those decisions were dire. Breaking alliances and ending friendships within the New Republican government and perhaps the Jedi Council itself. Affecting his familial relations as well. I liked this impression. What do you think?

I searched for the topic. I didn't see anything. I apologize if it doesn't interest you.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You don't need to apologize. People who aren't interested don't have to read or reply to the thread.

I don't think Luke will be a recluse unless there is some reason that he needs to be. In Obi-Wan's case, the Jedi had been outlawed and he needed to keep his identity a secret and keep an eye on Luke.

Luke, having been raised on Tatooine and heard his "uncle talking" was reluctant to go with Obi-Wan; however, he wasn't reluctant to go anywhere. He did want to join the Imperial Academy, maybe only to get off Tatooine and go with Biggs and Tank. And once he was involved with the Alliance, Luke was certainly an action-taker. I can't imagine that would change in the ST unless he decides he's "too old for this sort of thing," in which case I think he'll still be training the next generation to take action, or unless the Jedi are outlawed again.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've read those earlier drafts of ANH and while there are some unusual things included I think they're very interesting as they give you an eye into the genesis of Star Wars. I'm very excited about the comic series and I hope they do more like this. Maybe one based on the early ESB script by Leigh Brackett.

I don't see Luke as a hermit or recluse either and I can see Lucas using some of his early concepts in the ST (he does like to do that alot). One idea I like is General Skywalker training a group of twelve (I think it was twelve) young kids. That could be an interesting sequence in the film that shows Luke is in the midst of rebuilding the Jedi Order. Anyway, I would like to see Luke a man of action but unlike the Jedi of the PT era he doesn't wait around for the bureaucracy to give him permission to do something. If he sees something that is not right he's going to fix it and the Senate be damned if they disagree with him.

4. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Unless Luke is General in a War like what Obi-Wan and Anakin where, then no.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    So...Luke should go against the Republic and take it upon himself to change the GFFA for the 'greater good'? Hmm. Perhaps Beru was right about that kid. He has too much of his father in him. ;)

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If it's something that is obviously wrong and the Republic refuses to do anything about it (like slavery or criminal cartels) then absolutely Luke should do something about it. I'm not saying he should start a coup against the Republic if he doesn't like some leader but I just hope to see his Order keep away from tying itself too close to the bureaucracy as I see that as a major failing of the old order.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    "Luke, I killed your father."
    After all, Endor and General Luke come from the same place.

8. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    The New Republic, The Interregnum, The Regency, whatever political structure exists, may be very weak or in the inevitable crisis of the story, or both. Emergency powers have been granted before. A War Council may be necessary, not a dictator. These issues may be part of the 'moral choices' Lucas mentioned for the ST. Our heros may be confronted with these issues and have to make difficult decisions. The inability of government to function is relevant today.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    We all agree that Emergency Powers aren't the answer. Spying might be more relevant.

DarthRelaxus and Immortiss like this.
  10. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    OMG!!!! I think you're on to something...

12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    First it was twelve, then it was nine.
    Then it was twelve again, but then back to nine.
    Then it was six.
    Then it was always six.
    Six was the end.
    Then it was nine again.
    But it might be twelve.

[face_thinking]

13. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Yoda tasked Luke to "pass on" what he learned, so I would try to keep Luke's role more centered around his relationships with his students and family as opposed to getting involved in politics or military. From a story telling point of view, I think that would be the best thing to do as well, to avoid making the plot more needlessly complex than it needs to be. In the end, the audience just doesn't care about macro issues such as rebuilding the Republic or the Jedi Order. They care about character dilemmas and interpersonal relationships. The OT was set against the backdrop of a rebellion fighting an evil empire, but it wasn't really about that. This is why so many people didn't like the PT, because it was more focused on those larger issues as opposed to the more personal, relatable ones.

14. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, George W. Bush and Barak Obama would not be in the 'all' you refer to, Mr. Emperor...:p

Spying is relevant, Girandan, and is part of the disfunction of government. It is anti-democratic. But where is the line drawn when claiming National Security? These are the issues that Luke and the Council would have to face. Some believe this is good governance, or the appropriate function of government, depending on your perspective.

The absence of government creates a power vacuum. In such an instance a council, like the Jedi may have to lead. Just more problems for our protagonists.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  15. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    To be fair, the prequels had a tall order to showcase: the old Jedi, the old republic, the clone wars, the fall of the jedi, the fall of the republic, and the rise of the empire. Not a whole lot of room to put in interpersonal issues.

As for the general thing, It'd be nice to see Luke try the General thing for bit, discover it's not his thing, and hang up the mantle to focus on being a Jedi.

16. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Most of that was unnecessary, especially in the way it was executed in the prequels. This is why you may notice Lucas throws out every plot thread that was setup in Episodes I and II and focuses exclusively on Anakin in Episode III. He realized that he had essentially wasted the first two episodes exploring issues that weren't at the heart of the story. For example, he tries to show us that Anakin and Obi Wan were great friends and that Anakin was a great star pilot during the brief opening sequence, when that should have been a major focus in Episodes I and II.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know about the actual title of general, but I think he will be heavily involved with his students as well as any effort to save the new governmental organization set up after the fall of the Empire by the rebels.

I think a lot of this talk confuses people's own opinions about the PT with those of Lucas. Does he look at how he set up and executed the plots/themes in those movies as a mistake? I am going to venture an educated guess that he does not. I think it is a pipedream that Lucas is going to toss the PT out the window and only follow up the OT. IMO this is going to be intended as an apt follow up to the previous 6 movies, not the previous 3 (and well it should be).

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  18. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Honestly I don't see Luke Skywalker sticking with a military career... I got my money on an Admiral Solo or a "President" Organa.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  19. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I too don't really see him continuing his military career. I see him focussing on rebuilding the Jedi in his mould, and acting in an advisory/consultant role for whoever/whatever the new government is. (But I'm not expecting my opinion to be correct, and won't be disappointed if I'm off the mark - I'll just be chuffed to see Luke (and the others) on the big screen once more [face_dancing])

Lee_ and DarthRelaxus like this.
  20. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I personally think he'll be dead/force ghost from the very beginning. Narratively, his personal arc is over - he can't contribute anything that surpasses his accomplishments in ROTJ. It's impossible. So no matter if he's alive/dead...his role has to be relegated to passing the torch/passing on what he has learned whether it's in the form of having kids/grandkids or rebuilding the Jedi Order/training Leia. He can't be anything else other than a guide. Cinematically it would be a nice nod to the last scene in ROTJ, where all the Force ghosts look upon him with approval that he's finally one of them. His first scene in this next trilogy can begin with him now also being one of them, just in another way.

21. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Luke retired as a Commander after The Truce at Bakura, he had trouble with all the deaths he was sensing through the Force so he quit. He was squadron leader during the Vong War and handed the title of Twin Suns leader to his niece Jaina so the answer is no, he doesn't take up a General title.

22. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    *cue "That was in the books, but what about the movies!" comments...*

DarthRelaxus and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    He never made past Commander in the ROTJ and he handed Rogue Squadron to Wedge

He quit the military in the books so I highly doubt it.

24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Well, Han Solo was a General in E6, so if he is still using a military title, it would probably still be General. Admiral is a different branch of the service.

25. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No. I just cannot see him being one, tbh.