main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didn't Lucas tell Prowse his voice would not be used in the beginning?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think he should have made it clear so Prowse would not need to waste so much time to prepare for the lines, he could just throw it out like he did in ESB and RotJ.

2. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    It seems obvious to me that if your costume includes a bucket over your head, that whatever lines you say are un-usable in any mix. Maybe Prowse just missed the train.

jaqen and Sarge like this.
  3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I've heard this. I think Carrie Fisher mentioned it, but I never knew it was something he really didn't know.

4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Darth Vader and a West Country accent seem quite obviously not to be a good combination. George may have thought that this would be obvious. Obviously not.:p

5. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Because it went without saying. If you're wearing a helmet and they haven't made any plans to fly you stateside to loop dialog you should not be surprised when you see the movie and its been dubbed with someone else's voice. Is Prowse really that dumb or is he being a bit false when he makes that claim?

6. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    The behind the scenes clips of Prowse saying his lines from inside the helmet are hilarious. Makes Vader look like a court jester.

kainee likes this.
  7. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    In filmmaking, actors behind masks don't keep their lines until/unless called in for re-recording. They are for pacing reference. If he had asked George when he was coming back to re-record his lines, he would have known. But obviously he didn't.

Ray Park wasn't offended when his lines were replaced by Peter Serafinowicz. And he wasn't wearing a mask. He knew that his voice wasn't right for a Lord of the Sith and accepted it. For Prowse, a man with the demeanor of a bodybuilder and the vocal acting talent of a monkey... well, that's something to consider. Even I could do a better Sith than David Prowse vocally. Big respect for him as a physical actor... but vocally he is weak.

Ordo N-11, kainee and SlashMan like this.
  8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't think he's all that great as a physical actor in ANH, actually. :p Far better in TESB, where he has a distinct economy of motion...and Bob Anderson took that to a whole nother level with his performance in the TESB duel:

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Lucas was so incredibly all-up-in-his-head while making the movie, he probably didn't consider it while on set. He was just trying to get the flick shot before his heart exploded or whatever. That sounds like a post-filming decision to me.

TKT, Mr. K and kainee like this.
  10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    That and GL is not the greatest 'people person' ever.

Skywalker Thing and TKT like this.
  11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That said, Prowse was magnificent in ROTJ as the physical presence of Darth Vader - when the man in the iron mask & suit finally has to act. Vader's genuine conflict had to be conveyed, and I think Prowse really did step up to the mark, particularly in the Throne Room scenes.
    It's one of the main reasons I hate the new addition of that idiotic "NOOOOO!!!!" in ROTJ - during the end of that climactic scene, Vader isn't even speaking (so you can't credit it to JEJ), everything comes down to the body language of Darth Vader transforming from a machine back into a human being, particularly in the movement of his head as he watches his son being killed by his evil master, not to mention retreating, and then collapsing like a broken old man under the weight of Luke's vicious assault upon him.

Prowse truly excelled in the role at that point, and it's a real shame that GL deemed it fit to mute his brilliant efforts with such blatant overkill nearly 30 years later.

Ordo N-11, Vthuil, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  12. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Almost 30 years after Prowse leaks the end of ROTJ, he still can't catch a break:oops: At least GL can't do any further damage to his performance. Hopefully he can't anyway.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    There's always the possibility it'll be removed; he did so with Luke's TESB No. I personally don't mind it much, as over my mondo speakers speakers it's less Vader hollering No and more the growl of an angry demigod ( :p ) but I wouldn't mind if it was gone.

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Going back to the first post, he had to memorize his lines just like everyone else. Otherwise, there would be nothing to go by when it came to dubbing over him, and the other actors would have a harder time communicating.

In my opinion, Prowse gave a more lively performance in ANH; not knowing his voice would be dubbed over may have helped. He seemed more mechanical in Empire. It's been said that after ANH, Prowse simply recited his lines in a monotone fashion. Guess he was a little bit angry...

I honestly don't think Lucas intended to embarrass him by not telling him. I think he just assumed he would know that his lines were unusable in the final film.

kainee likes this.
  15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I love the man, but Prowse's voice is not Sith material.

16. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Edit: I thought Prowse filmed some of the scenes and and left during production...

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    With ROTJ? The story I heard was that he was only used for the scenes prior to the duel and the throne room scenes were done with Anderson, from the time Vader and Luke enter to when Sidious was slam dunked down the reactor shaft.

18. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Really? Oh well, all credit to Bob Anderson.

19. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Bob Anderson is the unsung hero imo

kainee likes this.
  20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Maybe there was the possibility that they considered using Prowse's voice initially?

21. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Look at all of the X-Wing pilots who had their voices dubbed with American actors. I don't hear "Porkins" moaning about his voice.

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just been reading Prowse's autobiography , he worked very little on ROJ , he says most days he just sat there and watched Bob Anderson playing Vader , he also says he was pretty much ostracised 'cos Lucas and Marquand thought he'd been leaking details to the press .

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
  24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Has anyone noticed David Prowse didn't use that accent in A Clockwork Orange?

25. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    With all the rumours flying around regarding the bad blood between Mr. Lucas and Mr. Prowse its hard to know what to believe....I've always been leaning towards Team Lucas though because with a lot of the comments I've read that have come from Dave he seems to be the one who has an axe to grind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.