main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Unpopular TCW Opinions

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Nov 19, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Lucas and I vs. everybody else!

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Me too, the good ones at least. And yes, I consider a few of them good some others might not. :D

3. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Obi-Wan Undercover is an overrated arc.

A Sunny Day in the Void is an incredible episode.

Anakin VS Dooku and Kenobi VS Grievous were cheap matchups.

4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I agree with you on all but the second. :p

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Gascon was awes.........um never mind

07jonesj and Darth Eddie like this.
  6. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I've got one: Darth Maul's resurrection was both an awesomely epic idea and it had awesomely epic payoff.

7. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    Ohmygosh I LOVE Colonel Meebur Gascon.

WatTamborWoo and cwustudent like this.
  8. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    -I don't care how they portray him, but Jar Jar will never be a good character. He should just not exist anymore.
    -Ahsoka would be a much better character if she wasn't Anakin's apprentice.
    -Cad Bane isn't cool, he's what happens when you tell a 14 year old to think up a "badass" character
    -Asajj does not deserve sympathy
    -Ahsoka leaving the Jedi Order is not a sad moment to me. I mean she's free from a bunch of apathetic monks, she can have a life now. That is not tragic.

TKT, JackG and TaradosGon like this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Fixed ;)

10. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    zomg DISlike! :p

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    -Filoni's involvement was one of the best things to happen with the show
    -Lucas' involvement was largely one of the worst things to happen to the show
    -I didn't particularly care about any of the clones except Cut and Slick - neither of whom we ever saw again
    -The final arc was terribly written, but brilliantly directed
    -Savage should have lived and Maul should have died
    -There is no salvaging Jar Jar as a character and he should just be ignored from here on out.
    -I like Ashoka, but hate that she's Anakin's apprentice
    -The battles could have been so much more epic if the show didn't spend so much time trying to push the envelope in animation and was instead 2D
    -The Padme/political episodes would have promise, IF they were shown to have consequences in follow up episodes (how is the decision to keep the banks regulated AND continue cloning affecting the Republic?)
    -Cad Bane became the coolest bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe in about his first 60 seconds
    -TCW has made me completely apathetic to Boba Fett and I really don't care if I see him again or not. His story is no longer one I care about.
    -The show should not have catered to those watching Episode I, TCW and then Episode II in that order. It should not have been afraid to blatantly show that Palpatine is Sidious much earlier on.
    -Oppo Rancicis is an ***. He didn't even show up for Obi-Wan's funeral (as far as he would have been concerned).

12. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I got another really unpopular one: I prefer Savage killing Adi Gallia to Grievous.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

TaradosGon likes this.
  13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW is going to kick ass on Toonami.

May not be unpopular here but Toonami boards are flipping out.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Boba Fett's appearances in TCW are like Darth Maul's (but to a lesser a degree) in that they show you sides of the character you hadn't seen before, but there isn't a complete story about the character told throughout the series. They're the main focus in arcs where they first appear but after that appear in groups in episodes of larger scope so there isn't the same focus on them (this is one is to a greater degree for Boba Fett).

15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Yay, me too!

...Also, I prefer TCW's depiction of Grievous: an insecure maniac that willingly removed his limbs and torso, because he wanted to twirl lightsabers, too. Lightsaber-envy makes more sense to me, probably because of the underlying Freudian metaphor.

The Visionaries story is gorgeous (yay art!). OTOH the crash set-up, midichlorian-imbued blood-transfusion, and techno-mind-manipulation were too "fan-fiction-y" for me. Visionaries-Grievous is cool and matches micro-series-Grievous, so that's awesome for fans of those sources.
    At the risk of deviating from the topic, do you care to elaborate, please?

16. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Interestingly enough, so does Jason Fry (author of The Clone Wars: Episode Guide, amongst other things), as he elucidated in this post:
    I liked how the vague backstory allows for individual interpretation, though, so you can pick and choose which one you prefer.

17. Mzukiller

Sep 5, 2012
    At the risk of deviating from the topic, do you care to elaborate, please?[/quote]
    If I had to guess, maybe Genndywars fans getting extremely angry about this afront to canon or whatever. While I don't agree with them, I'm not hyped about some of the Not-so-fresh episodes of TCW and oh are there a lot of those.

Also, it's kinda funny to me how our opinions on grievous are polar opposites. More power to you though.

18. Mzukiller

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm glad that we can see eye to eye on that. Because the way I see it, there are quadrillions of beings in the Star Wars Galaxy, and common sense tells me that half of those beings are interesting characters, they just don't have a spotlight, any attention whatsoever.

TCW should've rectified that by having it's main character, Ahsoka, be somewhere farther from significance. Like she matters, but she's not shoehorned into the forefront by being the Chosen one's apprentice. That way, it could also be more centric on the war itself, the real nit and grit of combat and it cold cover how Jedi are starting to adapt to the war since it's not tangled up by plots of politics or Dark Side shenanigans that are typical in a Skywalker story. If I want the story of Anakin, I'll just watch Episode 3 or read some comics, we don't need a whole new show for that, right? Not saying that, in an ideal show, Anakin wouldn't appear at all, just not as frequently. As for a master, it could've been Plo Koon, which would make a lot more sense as far as their relationship goes. I mean, I get that he found and helped raise her, but I don't buy that they have such a bond.

Imagine how much strife they could've avoided had they just not done the "Anakin actually had a padawan that no one ever talks about" thing.

TaradosGon likes this.
  19. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    - I like Dave Filoni. He's a fan, he takes the heat for lots of (what I'm personally certain are) GL's decisions, and I get the sense that those who don't like him don't see how much worse it could have been.
    - I like Ahsoka. She's perfectly fine. Her arc is simple, direct, and uncomplicated, like every other major character arc in the Star Wars saga. There was no opportune moment in III for Anakin to mention her, so I don't see a problem.
    - I like the lightweight episodes. Star Wars was made for children (don't challenge me on this, or I will dominate you with quotes to prove it). It should continue to balance any edginess with abundant innocence.
    - I'm fine with Darth Maul being brought back. Star Wars comes from old adventure serials. Adventure serials are all about bringing back old villains in fanservicey ways.
    - I'm fine with the canon changes. If it's good, it gets the right of way. Similarly, if VII is good, I might even be OK with those changes.
    - My favorite episode is Bounty Hunters. It's got everything I love about Star Wars: Kurosawa homage, simple morality, and, well... bounty hunters.

20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    While all three original films were created with kids in mind, I'd certainly argue that the prequel trilogy (well, II and III) was aimed a little higher age-wise.

That said, I'd say TCW is aimed at kids. ROTS still contains the darkest material IMO, and I wouldn't show it to real young'uns.

21. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I love that episode as well for pretty much the same reasons as you; it almost made it into my top 10 TCW episodes list.

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Heheh, it may have been aimed higher, but it must have been a mortar shell, because it certainly didn't land higher... :p (with the assumed audience, anyway). But the saga as a whole has very simple morals, and if you factor ROTS into that, it kinda just functions like an after-school special. ROTS is a obviously dark chunk, but I think the message would have been uncharacteristically complex if it had been handled any other way, so I dunno.

07jonesj likes this.
  23. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    "I'll see you in REBELS Legolas Skywalker "

[​IMG]

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

"I'll see you in Hell Mr. Gascon" :p

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    This was one of my main points when it first happened. The old school pulp serials Star Wars is more singularly based on than anything else were all about that cliffhanger ending with a shot making it look like someone had to have died, so that you come back to the movie theater when the next chapter comes out to see what happens. There are plenty of examples. As a huge lover of that genre (because I grew up on Star Wars which led me to it) it seems like a fine fit to me.