main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Complete Vehicles Rerelease: Lets dissect the Home One and Medical Frigate amongst other new stuff!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Jul 30, 2013.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It is probably best that we move this discussion to the Fleet Junkie Thread, as that is the standard home for starship discussion. That way we can leave this thread for other non-fleet topics.

--Adm. Nick

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The only problem with the art is that it does not quite match the model- the tail is much longer for some reason- It should end just behind the rear engines and shuttle blister, but the cutaway has an extra 100 or so meters to fit in the rear cone part of the hyperdrive.

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The topic of the thread is the new ship and vehicle cutaways added in the new version of ICS. What non-fleet topics are there in this case?

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If this sort of stuff isn't why we have a Fleet Junkie Thread, then nothing is. :p

There is plenty of other non-fleet stuff in the new ICS, so that way we don't hijack potential discussion.

--Adm. Nick

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's probably more cross-section, the port engine stops before the starboard.

6. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    No, which is why you can add 100-200 meters to its overall length. Which puts it around 1,200 meters.

Got the book. They removed most of the data boxes for the vessels, i.e., acceleration, range, power and all that. They left the specs attached to the ships intact though (the little sentence pointing to a part of the vessel); though most of the firepower figures are gone.

They finally fixed the deck guns on Invisible Hand. Mass Drivers. They point to where they are located. No mention of anti-fighter uses for them.

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Could be, there is at least one other source that mention similar devastating effects of a hyperspace collision.

Who knows, I would think crashing a ship like that with a hypermatter reactor would make a pretty big boom. Don't know about the level of destuction but I would think it would be pretty bad.

Other than that I don't think they changed any numbers only a few of the cool tidbits.

8. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I won't have the book in front of me again for a few days but what firepower numbers were missing?

From memory, I saw the Acclamator ones were there, the magnitude-10 earthquake statement remained in reference to the Invisible Hand, I saw the one on Jugernaught page, and on the Munficient I believe. I can't remember if they left the statement regarding the firepower of the point defense batteries on the Invisible Hand were like 5 megatons or something like that.

9. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    I thought I saw that the firepower and shield stats were transferred to the appendix at the back of the book. Don't worry, the beaucouptons, beaucoupwatts, and beaucoupjoules are still there.

10. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, I made a mistake. They moved them all to the back of the book with a little illustration.

I was wondering where the 1,300 meter length for Home One was before getting to the end of the book. O, there it is.

Nothing seems to be taken away. Rather, they add little things. Like the deck guns.

TIE Interceptor is in. Was that in the Complete one? I never got that one.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The two kiloton figure for the hidden laser cannon on Jango's Slave 1 (the one Boba fires at Obi-Wan, in the AoTC novelization) is on the ship's page, rather than in the back, where the figures are in joules rather than kilotons.

Concerning ship lengths- there's one notable case of cut-and-paste producing an extremely outdated figure in this book.

The Millennium Falcon. Length given- 26.7 m.

More recent books have given it as 34.37 m.

So- just because the "old figures" are given for the lengths of the Confederate frigates and destroyers- doesn't mean that the figures in Incredible Vehicles have been retconned- the old figure for the Falcon is inaccurate- so why not for them?

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The ICS have never made a ship that looks like the ones in the movie in that regard, so nothing new. ;)

13. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    I get the impression from the Home One article that most of the other Star Cruisers are similar to it, and naming nomenclature would be a hit or miss -- if one 1,000-2,000 meter vessel is technically different to all others, and then converted into a warship -- all you'd have is a mess of "types" and specifically named vessels. If the Rebels and MC techs fitted them out with similar armaments (within reason), this would be even more evidence to this.

If all of the ones we see are around 1,300 meters (just say under 2 km.,), it can make sense that they'd hold their own against the Star Destroyers. I wouldn't be surprised if a single 1,300 MC Star Cruiser held more internal volume than a 1,600 Star Destroyer.

If several concentrated all fire on the bridge of Executor, I can see them getting through to some extent, in addition the A-Wings smacking the tower with Concussion Missiles.

They're pretty good ships. The same with most of the stuff that comes from Dac, really.

14. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Just like the RPGs and EGs? ;)

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

They tend to actually be better at it, especially the ICS Venator is rather amusing as the fighters are about 4 to 5 times as big as they should be.

16. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    More like 1.5 times. The ARC-170 leaving the hangar gives the Venator shown a length of about 1,700 meters. You could chalk that up to needing for them to be bigger so we could see them better.

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The parked smaller fighters make it seem off even more and it is book full of random lines pointing at random things, drawing the fighter a little smaller would not really have done any harm here, though seeing it like it is, it just makes the design seem uglier then ever. they really should have just gone with a Victory.

Sarge likes this.
  18. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    The parked -170s give the length about 1,400 meters. The V-Wings look absolutely tiny, and I'm guessing they're scaled up a little too.

That'd be a beholder thingy. I think the Venator looks better than the most common depiction of the Victory. Especially when the Venator is painted Imperial gray.

19. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000

http://www.google.de/imgres?q=Super...ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:34,s:0,i:194&tx=87&ty=49

or the ISD in that pic:

http://www.google.de/imgres?q=Super...ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:34,s:0,i:194&tx=87&ty=49

You were saying?

20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    That's not correct, the videos show the Home Ones used in ST:TAC have the hangar entry midships. Since this is flipped, I reckon it doesn't actually work as the HO herself, but a yardstick for at least some ships of the type. And not less than 2 km.

[​IMG]

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    You linked the same image twice and yep the tower is somewhat off and the tail is to short, so? ICSs details also screwed up in such things.

22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    ICS books were at least more accurate with their texts, being technical books, and all. It's their job.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

*point over to the Fleet Junkies thread were we debated their shortcomings in that regard*

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    All figures for the Falcon are inaccurate. Unless you subscribe to the Falcon/Tardis interior theory, which is just silly.

Nobody145 and Gorefiend like this.
  25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Providence original size isn't wrong at all. It's a series of designs, as EGTW points out (to explain the movie and show discrepancy). The Invisible Hand is the 1,088 m destroyer version, the Invincible is the 2,177.35 m dreadnought version. The same would have explained the Recusant-class models, but that line was cut from the book. I should know, I was one of the proof-readers for the manuscript.

Funny thing about the ROTS Providence, it was actually scaled down from the early cg animatics. In the tv show, they scaled it back up again.