main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your oldest Star Wars Memory

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by WhiskeyGold, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes, FirstStarWars, I remember being very excited about the Ewok TV special, and I was a teenager by that time. I suppose I had some Star Wars comics that I read over and over and I'm certain I had some sort of cards that had many Star Wars scenes on them. The latter really helped one to remember details from the movie I wouldn't have otherwise imprinted. Our family was quite late to having a VCR and we never owned Star Wars. Once we had the VCR, I was too busy watching Back to the Future with a girl with whom I was infatuated. Good memories, but a little more Star Wars wouldn't have hurt.

2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    My oldest memory of Star Wars changes with each release.

3. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    My oldest memory of SW by far is Darth Vader coming out of the closet. :p

4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh my gosh, this post really sent me down memory lane! I also had a Viewmaster, though I don't remember having a SW set of reels. Fun memory!

[​IMG]

Couldn't find a YouTube clip of the ad for the SW reels, so this one for Superman will have to do instead:

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Viewmaster truly was the best way to view Flash Gordon, as you couldn't hear the actors.:p

Frank T. and Sarge like this.
  6. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    My oldest Star Wars memory is pretty lame! The oldest memory that's stayed with me is going to the theatre and finding that the film had sold out for the entire day! I'm sure I had Star Wars exposure before then. My older brother had the comicbook of the Star Wars story, and that must've gotten me excited for the film, but I have no memory of looking through it now. Now, my first Star Wars memory is getting turned away from the theatre! :(

Pensivia and SithLordPat like this.
  7. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    There was a great thread on Reddit's /r/StarWars very similar to this.

I distinctly remember playing with the Action Fleet / Micro Machines during the 90s. Went to some furniture place in Fort Myers and I had my Y-Wing. I either was playing hooky from pre-k, or kindergarten or something with my grandpa (we did that sometimes).

Also, the Power of the Force 2 "Muscle" Vader. He is the first figure I remember playing with, sitting in our kitchen with a handful of others. I still have my original. And of course PotF2 anything is easy and cheap to get, so I have a copy moc for memories.

I remember coloring the Pizza Hut special edition '97 pizza boxes as well, while watching Shark Week. Good times.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not wanting to watch Empire Strikes Back again after watching it the first time for the longest time..........

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn, I love Viewmasters. They still make them; my son got one for his third birthday in 2008.

My first Star Wars memories were of the R2 and 3PO action figures in the late 70s, my mother styling my hair the way Princess Leia wore hers (both the side buns and the braid crown) and seeing the "I am your father" moment for the first time while sitting next to my Dad in the theater.

Pensivia likes this.
  10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    The oldest Star Wars memory I have is when I was in elementary schol during ASP (After School Playtime or whatever it was called. Basicly parents put ya there when they couuldn't pick you up), and the teachers all shoved us in the Gym and put on Attack of the Clones for us to watch on some tiny tv. I just remember us all being crowded around that tv.

11. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Oh my god, Carbon1985, I totally remember that, and doing the exact same thing when the 20th Century Fox logo came on. It seemed like HBO played the movie around the clock, and I would watch it everytime.

Actually, my earliest memory (I was five) was probably watching it the night it premiered for the first time on HBO. I remember very vividly my dad telling me to take a bath and get into my pajamas early, because we were gonna watch a movie that night. I think he was even letting me stay up later than usual to watch it. I remember asking him what it was and what was it about? Would I like it?

And he was like "You like "Buck Rogers", don't you? Well this movie is like that---only better. Much better."

And he was right. And i loved it. And a life-long movie love affair was born. :)

Frank T., Pensivia and Carbon1985 like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    When I was probably three or four years old, my dad and I were in Wal-Mart. I looked over at the toys section and saw a HUGE display of TPM figures. I said, "Hey dad, can I get a Star Wars toy?" He said, "Sure." He looked through the figures and said, "I don't see Luke Skywalker...he's probably the only one you'd like. Sorry." So, I didn't get a Star Wars toy that day, and that was my first Star Wars memory. [face_plain]

After that, a couple years later at Christmas, we were at a friend of my mom's house, and their daughters gave my brother and I a present: a two-for-one set from the 2002 Saga figures. Both were Anakin Skywalker, and my brother got the Peasant Disguise Anakin and I got the Hangar Duel Anakin with the two lightsabers. Because of this, when I saw Attack of the Clones several years later, I already knew that Anakin would lose an arm, and as soon as I saw him use two lightsabers I knew that he was going to lose it soon.

But the way I actually got into Star Wars was in 2003, my uncle came for a visit. We'd moved from where we lived and were in a new state, a new environment, and in fact we'd just recently moved from one house in that town to another. My uncle bought us an X-box, which came with a Star Wars: Clone Wars/Tetris video game. I was more interested in getting a G.I.Joe action figure, but my uncle convinced me to get the X-box too, so I did. When I played that Clone Wars game I was hooked, so I asked mom to get the Star Wars movies from the library–the "new ones," which meant TPM. However the library didn't have TPM so we watched ANH, and then ESB a night or two later. I fell in love. Then a few months later a different uncle sent me the DVDs of TPM and AOTC (this was the first time I saw AOTC, the time I mentioned above). It was so cool.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  13. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    that is cool also but i was talking about something else, it was like that but you turned the handle and got a mini-movie. it was film but no sound

this was it\
    [​IMG]

Big_Benn_Klingon and Pensivia like this.
  14. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh, FirstStarWars, I see...that sounds even better than what I was talking about. I don't think I ever saw what you're referring to when I was a kid. But I bet at some point, we'll see that someone else around here shares that memory...

15. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Anyone reminder a Star Wars toys that was a sheet of paper, you ran a pencil over it and it put the images on the sheet in the scene? I forgot all about that but it just hit me. i had a Jedi one, it was Jabba's and you could rub the people in to the scene lol. weird

16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    When playing with the neighborhood kids, and a Luke Skywalker pilot figure (my dad saw the originals in theaters, and recognized him) ended up left at my house. I remember what a cool figure it was before I gave it back.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hmmm. Let me think. I remember Peter Cushing... he was rather old.

18. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013

Wait what? Did your dad have a fever? Han Solo and stormtroopers rock the house. I can't even imagine growing up when there wasn't a Harrison Ford movie out about every 6to 12 months. And what dad wouldn't get his son a chewbacca? I'm kidding, but only a little.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Like I said, TPM figures. I'm actually a little grateful; he saved me from having Jar-Jar Binks for my first Star Wars action figure! [face_relieved]

20. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

But that would be ur best toy EVAAA :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Rock_martin

Rock_martin Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2013
    i enjoy every show.....

23. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I guess my oldest Star Wars memory has to be watching A New Hope i our living room, while my parents where having guests in other parts of our house, being a young kid and getting scared as hell by Darth Vader crushing the throat of the Rebel on Tantive IV while asking about the Death Star plans.

24. Rogue501st

Rogue501st Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 9, 2010
    Watching ANH at a drive-in when I was a kid, then spending all my free time running around the neighborhood with friends blasting each other.

25. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I remember my first encounter with SW as a child, watching it with my father on a german TV channel (we're not Germans :). I didn't understand a word, but the setting, the dynamic of the films captivated me ever since. I still remember all the weird names that were given to the droids in the German Version, "drei-P-O" and "R-zwo-D-zwo". Hilarious!

thebeanpole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.