main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Empire comic trilogy - opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Jul 30, 2013.

1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I didn't meant to directly compare the anatomy of Liefeld to Dark Empire, but give another example of the things from the Dark Age of Comics. Bad anatomy, uber-voilence, use of shading and watercolor to add "drama" to scenes.
    Dark Empire has a few cases of good art, but I just don't care for the blobby/blocky/malformed characters (especially in the background) and the use of moody watercolors across entire panels to make up for lack of real detail or expression or color.

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I read those first 2 issues of Dark Empire over and over as a kid. When I got the last 4 issues or so for Christmas my heart nearly stopped. BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!

This is Dave Doorman cover art but it does get across the mood of the series, check out how Luke is all green with white pupils, the overly dramatic Leia pose, etc. Out of all the covers, it probably does the best to display the vibe inside the book, and a completely different artist to boot:

[​IMG]

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "MINE."

( :p )

4. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008
    Dam
    DAMN, I want that cover.

Well, at least I have the whole trilogy nicely bundled in the hardcover edition heh.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Don't they have the covers in the back in that?

6. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008

Unfortunately no. It didn't have this one!

7. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I love Dark Empire I & II, especially the art -- for something that to me was always a central thing to Star Wars: the image of the tiny individual facing titanic artefacts (like the Eclipse, or the Death Star in the original film) or forces (like the Force Storm, or Yoda lifting the X-Wing, or Palpatine's Force Lightning). The idea of facing such impossibly huge machines, or (for the Emperor) of controlling such incredible powers. I think the comic does this whoa-how-huge-is-that effect really well -- the "that's no moon" effect. [face_hypnotized]
    I'm aware that this is not the most sophisticated of concepts; but in a way it is exactly what I'm looking for when I read or watch Star Wars. Recently, more and more of these "whoa" moments happen more on a metatextual level -- tiny events in books or comics suddenly tying in to something much bigger in continuity -- but I still find myself going back to Dark Empire for the basic visual kicks.

General Immodet and Hoaxer_Poker like this.
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Oh kind of sad :/ as the Dark Empire covers are all pretty awesome.

Eclipse and the new TIEs are kind of cool, can't stand the E-Wing, A-9 and I-7 though.

9. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I have to admit, I disliked Dark Empire, even in premise. I feel it undermines the plot of the films by bringing the Emperor back, and Luke struggle with the dark. It just rehashed the overarching themes of ESB and RotJ without Vader, and thus with five percent of the awesome.

Just my opinion of course.

10. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008

Imo it only really undermines the films with the prequel trilogy in mind. But that whole chosen one business and Anakin Skywalker destroying the Sith was a tiresome and ridiculous narrative anyway imo...

11. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I grew up with the OT; but appreciate the PT also. That, and Star Wars as a whole (EU included) is supposed to be one intertwined tale or at the very least connected universe. Thus its something of a given that i keep the prequel trilogy in mind. :D

Are people still considering the saga two separate entities? I've never really understood that mindset, to be honest. But to each his own. After all, its only going to get 'worse' from VII onwards.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't really see any option but to go with 2 trilogies, they're made decades apart, have entirely different focuses, aesthetics, style. And when you try fitting them together as 1-6.... Well, that's the quite the splicing operation!

Authors regularly go back and forth in time on a long-running series, but tend to go by publication rather than chronology order - which is what sets Lucas apart he really does seem to want people to do 1-6!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008

I somewhat enjoy the prequels - don't ge me wrong - but the original trilogy is on a whole nother level compared to them. In my mind the original films are infinitely superior. The prequel trilogy certainly has it merits, but just as many annoyances and terrible parts.

So I do approach the original trilogy as a separate entity.

14. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Samayel_ and Gorefiend like this.
  15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    JackG, Samayel_ and General Immodet like this.
  16. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008

Now that is some ugly animation, wow.

Don't think I've ever seen Leia or Luke look that terrible.

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Other then in the Dark Empire comics? :D

AdmiralWesJanson and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  18. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008

Funny man. ;)

19. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I think for an non-professional artist the animation are well done. Otherwise, I would not have posted it in this thread.

Samayel_ likes this.
  20. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008

You must have low standards.

21. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Sure.

22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Prepare yourself for his return in Episode VII...

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, it'll be Plagueis.

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I have always considered Dark Empire to be among the very best of the Expanded Universe. The art isn't perfect, but the subtle use of various shading and color schemes does give the series a very artistic feel. The Fleet Junkie in me would be remiss if I didn't commend the series for introducing so many awesome EU starships. The list is extensive!
    • MC90 Star Cruiser
    • I-7 Howlrunner
    • E-wing starfighter
    • World Devastator
    • TIE/D droid fighter
    • V-wing airspeeder
    • Cloakshape fighter
    • Eclipse-class Star Dreadnought
    The Battle of Calamari remains one of the best battles in the Expanded Universe. Epic in scope & scale, a true multi-day battle that pitted the very best of the New Republic against forces of the Reborn Emperor. World Devastators remain to me the single greatest superweapon concieved in the EU. Screw the Galaxy Gun, Sun Crusher, Darksaber, and every other one. Massive floating war factories that slowly devour cities and turn their rubble into new weapons of war that continue to inflict additional terror make the World Devastator the best.

Dark Empire II was a soldi follow-up, but Empire's End was a sad end to a noble series. It was rushed, they cut the number of issues down, and the art was horrible. Had EE being given the proper treatment, I think that the series would be much more fondly remembered.

--Adm. Nick

JackG, Gamiel, Sable_Hart and 2 others like this.
  25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005

You say subtle and artistic, I say entire panels of the same shade of watercolor over rather scratchy pencils/pens.