main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What would you guys change or keep about Jacen's fall or where would you take him as a character?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tylrkrby, Jul 29, 2013.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't see any similarity between the two. Do you?

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    You don't? How about Return of the Jedi?

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    All because he doesn't have a throne on Korriban and Vader does.

4. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    When does Vader have a throne on Korriban?

5. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Vader and Palpatine try to turn Luke in ROTJ. But he doesn't fall to the dark side man. Or did you skip that scene lol

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In Empire's End

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Did you skip The Unifying Force?

8. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Nope. Have you read Traitor?

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yep! I also read The Unifying Force. Have you read Dark Journey? Is Jaina in the process of falling?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jaina fell more in Dark Journey than Jacen did in Traitor. Then we jump to TJK and Jacen wasn't even recognizable.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  12. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    No, Jacen did fall in Traitor. As brief a stint as it was, he went dark after blasting Vergere and Nom Anor under the old Temple. That said... whether it was a Force Ghost, a hallucination, or a result of Vergere's meddling, the image of Anakin correctly called out Jacen on the fact that his selfish "I-will-impose-my-will-on-others" behavior wasn't all that evil.

He, Jacen, came back from that by the end of the book. If he hadn't, he would not have been able to deliberately and willingly step back from absolute power in TUF. That was an ultimately selfless act that demonstrated an inoculation against falling that he retained from the events in Traitor.

This is an erroneous reading of the text, or at the very least an inaccurate summation. The philosophy that Jacen learned is that one must hold oneself accountable
    for their actions rather than submitting to a "the devil made me do it" approach, that one must make a choice, act, and accept responsibility for the consequences.

"You seem to be telling me that what you do is irrelevant; all that matters is why you do it."
    "That's not it at all—"
    "No? Then tell me, Jacen Solo, if you had pursued the noble goal of saving those thousands of slaves in the manner of a true Jedi, what would you have done differently? Anything? Or would you only feel differently about what you have done?...Do you think it matters to [the] dead whether you killed them in a frenzy of rage or with calm, cool Jedi detachment?"
    "It matters to me," Jacen said solidly.
    "Ah, I see. You can do whatever you want, so long as you maintain your Jedi calm? So long as you can tell yourself you're valuing life? You can kill and kill and kill, so long as you don't lose your temper?" She shook her head, blinking astonishment. "Isn't that a little sick?"

13. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Wow this thread actually managed to irritate me.

Jacen's fall was badly written, it lacked verisimilitude. And stinks of the same crap writing that make Nu-Spock take his planets destruction, peoples genocide and mothers death reasonably well, and have his bro-matic partner death send him of a rage fill chase to beat someone to death?

Jacen's death was a waste to preserve a poor status-quo for writing new stories.

Frankly Jacen, Anakin Solo, Mara can all be reincarnated in new characters no not with the same memories and relationships but with similar philosophies and personality traits. The fact none have even been attempted shows the commitment of the current writers in charge to writing the same stories with the same characters and nasuem to the end of time.

xezene and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, that would be an equal level of vandalism - the EU has really failed to use Kyp well, but that's true of the entire cast and not cause to kill him off or turn him dark. The problem I would have with Kyp going to the dark side would be the repetition of it and that it ignores that he was spare by Luke. Those factors are what drive him after all even though NJO failed to realise it. Then again, in NJO, Kyp enforcing the law on smugglers is deemed terrible!

15. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Although others have done so, I feel compelled to point out that said philosophy is neither what is being taught nor what Jacen actual learns by the end of Traitor, and especially the end of The Unifying Force. What follows in DNT and LOTF is not just a mere oversimplification of his journey and lessons learned in the latter half of the NJO....it's actually straight up fabrication.

16. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    The Philosophy of Vergere and Jacen is that their is no dark side of the force, the darkside is internal, a persons evil, a persons cruelty.

Hell Jacen goes out of his way Not to Kill ANYONE after Traitor, from parasitic worms, Sekotans who take him hostage, a treasonous imperial officer who take a teenage girl hostage, and Yuuzahn Vong. He tries to save the Vong hell he tries to save Nom Anor, Nothing like the character or ideals displayed in any of Denning lead series.

Kind of indicating either Denning had no clue of who he was writing, or Jacens Character arc in the NJO. It seemed more like Denning constructed his Jacen out of fan theories the ardent movie-dual nature, force theorists.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't recall Jacen in the NJO saying that the dark side is only internal one single time, though I'd certainly be happy to be proven wrong.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, he doesn't.

LivingJediDream

20. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    There's no devil in SW, rather the assumption that evil actions draw one towards the dark side.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Its in there.

22. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Well that sums up that debate. lmao

23. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    -It wasn't me.

And the Empire Strikes Back is right where Luke began his, right?

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We just had a debate about this in another thread this month. We've had a thread like this every month for about 11 years.

Vergere taught Jacen to love, to have compassion for everyone. She said that killing and killing, as long as you have good intentions, is sick. Vergere said the dark side originates in individuals, it's not some force that possesses you and makes you do things against your will.

Luke and Jacen rejected Vergere's philosophy, though they did end up adopting something similar in TUF.

In DNT, both Luke/theNJO and Jacen claimed to have been following Vergere's philosophy for the last 5 years (despite saying in TUF they weren't), but this philosophy was entirely different from what Vergere taught.

25. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    Here's a thought: What if Jacen was being mind-controlled by Abeloth? Would that explain his fall?

darklordoftech likes this.