main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What changes SHOULD have been made to the movies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Sarge, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    This thread is for people to share things that bugged them about the movies, things that GL should have fixed when he was doing his umpteenth revision, but still hasn't changed.

I'm still waiting for him to fix the scene in ANH when Vader is talking in the DS conference room and David Prowse's gestures are completely out of synch with James Earl Jones' dialog. How hard would it be to do a little CGI tweaking and make that look right?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Doubt Lucas will be changing or fixing anything else for the movies

3. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Well...
    TPM - Nothing.
    AOTC - Redub Natalie Portman, for Padme not to know about that hangar.
    ROTS - Add Qui-Gon to talk to Yoda at the end of the movie.
    ANH - Fix lightsaber effects, fix the destruction of Alderaan and for J. E. Jones to re-record the whole Vader.
    TESB - Redo that sequence when Luke is leaving the wampa cave with the sound of lightsaber turning off.
    ROTJ - Redo CGI characters in the Jabba liar and redo the SSD explosion.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Shadow_imperium

Shadow_imperium Jedi Master

May 14, 2004
    To get it out of the way, I'd rather nothing be changed ect ect.
    That being said, all the left over effects from the *sigh* original SE should have been redone. Dewbacks, Rontos, yet again Jabba, and the Max Rebo band....
    Luke's white lightsaber in the Falcon training scene, Palpatine's dialog during ESB should be redubbed/shot with the original script lines. Keep the alert my Star Destroyer, but remove the scene where Vader gets off his shuttle.The carbon "melting" effect could use a touch up in ROTJ. Have Qui-Gon's voice at least during ROTS, Yoda talking to Obi-Wan about it seems silly.

5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah, I kinda agree about the "carbonite melting" scene. That's never looked right to me. Like the beams of light shooting out of Harrison Ford? It always looks like he's one of the aliens in "Cocoon" shedding his human skin or something, rather than cabonite melting/unfreezing.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Fixing the "Emperor's slugs" comes to mind. And Vader's lightsaber still looks pink during parts of ANH.

7. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013

Carbonite melting was redone.

But i think some of the stormtroopers should have been redubbed by Temuera Morrison and all saber effects fixed to be consistent, (mostly talking about Empire).

8. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I don't believe that all stormtroopers were clones of Jango by ANH. By about 10 years before ANH, they created clones based on a variety of templates, and by ANH, Jango-based clones were in the minority.

Of course, no film is perfect, so I'll just leave it to things that really seem out of place, and one thing that really gets me is the horrible graphics on display panels in the TIE-fighters and X-wings in ANH. They look straight out of a 80's video game. It would be so easy to fix that, and I have no idea why GL would leave something like that in when it makes the technology in ANH look so primitive!

A list of my other suggestions:
    --The look of lightsabers should be made consistent. (I'm assuming this is harder than it seems as I know GL has played with this.)
    --A few of the creatures that look like they're wearing halloween masks should be removed from ANH's cantina.
    --The dialogue of Greedo should be changed so that it's definitely clear he's planning to kill Han, thus justifying Han shooting first. (Or it should just be changed back.)
    --Some of the special effects from ANH that look like models should be replaced with CGI.
    --More TIE-fighters should be added. By my count, there are only 7 of them.
    --TESB is pretty solid, but the Tauntuns' stop-motion looks a little fake. I'm glad the weird emperor was replaced with McDiarmid and the fake-o cloud city matte paintings were replaced.
    --The matte painting of the interrior of Cloud City (where Luke falls after dueling Vader) look a little fake too on blu-ray and should probably be replaced.
    --In ROTJ, Luke should not physically throw the rock at the rancor pit's control panel. He should use the force to levitate and fling it.
    --Every Ewok should be replaced with a Wookiee except for Wicket, who will now be a young Wookiee
    --The battle of Endor should have many more combatants digitially added--so that it seems more like a large battle and less like a small skirmish. (There's supposed to be a legion of the Emperor's best troops there, but there seems like there's only like 100 stormtroopers there.)
    --The shot in which the super star destroyer crashes into the Death Star looks fake and should be replaced.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    When?

10. swcolts1277

Jan 5, 2013
    For the blu-ray. I think the possible reasons were not only to look better but also to match up with TCW in the Citadel.

11. swcolts1277

Jan 5, 2013

That's why I said only some. Just to be consistent with the saga.

darth ladnar likes this.
  12. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    Episode I: Goodbye, Jar Jar
    Episode II: Replace Christopher Lee with an actor who could swing the lightsaber faster than 5 MPH
    Episode III: Put in a scene showing the newly half-man, half-machine Vader wielding a lightsaber
    Episode IV: Smooth over the scenes where it's obvious Carrie Fisher's breasts are being held in place by tape
    Episode V: No changes. it's just about perfect
    Episode VI: Reinstate the scene of Luke finishing construction of his lightsaber. Also, turn the ewoks into large, bear-like creatures

13. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Ponda Baba's arm on the floor of the cantina.

Which is *so* just an empty sleeve spattered in tomato sauce.

14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Episode I: Replace Jake Lloyd with a digitally de-aged Hayden Christensen, keep Lloyd's voice.
    Episode II: Add blood and viscera splatter to Anakin during his confession scene with Padme. Alter Padme's facial expression to more of a "meh face".
    Episode III: Add moment when Obi-Wan mentions the Younglings death where Padme shrugs it off and says: "Ehhh, what are you gonna do?"
    Episode IV: Make Old Obi-Wan do flips like Count Dooku.
    Episode V: Show Vader boarding the shuttle, telling the pilot to take him to the Executor, show the shuttle take off, show Vader in transit aboard the shuttle. (Special Edition cut was too vague)
    Episode VI: Make Sarlacc climb out of the pit and attack the sail barge for continuing to dump its garbage.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The original seems pretty clear that Greedo's out to kill him:

Han: "Over my dead body."
    Greedo: "That's the idea. I've been looking forward to this for a long time."

TX-20 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Keep Ian's Emperor hologram in Empire, but restore original lines.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    What's the problem with the new lines- that they imply Vader doesn't know that "Skywalker" is his son yet?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

Yes, it changes the narrative of the whole movie. It's sloppy.

19. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    ive watched Ep4 hundreds of times and have never noticed this at all and theDS conference room is one of my fave scenes in the saga

20. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Can they change Leia's lines in Return of the Jedi about knowing her mother?

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Not the first scene in the conference room, a later scene when Vader and Tarkin have the place to themselves.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's several I can think of:

"Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable..."
    "Perhaps she might respond to an alternative form of persuasion"

"I told you she would never consciously betray the Rebellion"
    "Terminate her, immediately"

"They must be trying to return the stolen plans to the princess. She may yet be of some use to us"

"Don't underestimate the Force."
    "The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend are all that's left of their religion."

which have the unsynched gestures?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They already did.

How do they imply that? He's just confronting Palpatine with his own lie.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    His "How is that possible?" did sound genuinely surprised.

The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, at least, treats it as genuine.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The scene between Luke and Biggs at the Toche Station should have been added in, even with the friendly little pat.

Otherwise Biggs should have been dropped all together.