main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD NSA Rules READ BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by PrincessKenobi , Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Posting Access for No Spoilers Allowed:
    If you want to post here in NSA, please read the rules below and then go to THIS thread in Comms and post that you would like access. A mod will then give you posting rights as soon as we are able.

Welcome to the JC. While you're here, I hope you'll drop by the non-spoiler forum. The following is our most current set of rules for what is and is not considered spoiler material:

Important please read this:

Anything that has been released after August 1st, even from official sources, is now off limits in the NSA forum with the exception of the one thread designated for newly released information. To discuss newly released information please head to this thread. The one exception to this is the soundtrack cover (cover only).

These are the rules that apply to the entire JC (with the exception of the two STSA forums)

1) Anything dated prior to August 1st, 2013 from any official or unofficial source is not a spoiler.

2) Anything said by Lucas, Abrams, any producer working on the project, or any other individual ranking high in the Lucasfilm hierarchy is not a spoiler. Anything said by a mid- to lower-level employee, like the ones who leak info to TF.N, is a spoiler.

3) Quotes from actors, stunt doubles, etc., who were on the set of Episode VII are not considered spoilers.

4) Any information from any issue of Star Wars Insider is not a spoiler. Information from any tabloid or other publication dated after August 1st, 2013 is.

5) Any information taken from the official site is not a spoiler.

6) When the time comes, the posters and trailers will not be considered spoilers.

7) Of course, all sorts of speculation based on information obtained from the non-spoiler sources above is acceptable and welcome.

The following are certain actions that are not allowed in the Non-Spoiler Forum to keep it devoid of spoilers:

1) Posting highlightable text (ex: highlightable). This makes it very easy for a troll to hide spoilers, and makes it harder to administrate in general. They also will be seen when the colors of the board change.

2) Linking to the Episode VII (Spoilers Allowed) forum. Linking to a thread in the SA forum is not allowed because then people would have to venture into SA to get someone's point, and they could be easily spoiled. It presents a temptation to non-spoiler members, and if one needs to refer to a SA thread, they can easily simply quote the parts of the thread that they refer to, editing out the spoiler parts since they would not contribute to the discussion, and obviously because they are spoilers.

3) Discussing opinions of Episode VII based on spoilers. Threads such as "Don't get too hyped up about Episode VII" are not allowed since they are informing and discussing spoilers. Opinions of Episode VII based on speculation are allowed, but not based on spoilers. Based on spoilers means that they are discussing spoilers, and that is not allowed in the NSA forum.

1) * Any pic released after the date that they start sharing pictures may be linked to, but not embedded. When linking to a new officially released pic, please give a small spoiler warning.

2) *Pics and descriptions of Episode VII toys are only allowed in the toys/merchandise thread.

3) Any material from the Episode VII novelization is considered spoiler, with the exception of the cover art only.

4) Any material from The Art of Star Wars: Episode VII is considered spoiler, with the exception of the cover art. **

We reserve the right to restrict certain users from posting in the non-spoiler forum, such as users whose names contain spoilers and those with spoilers in their signatures.

These rules are constantly under debate and are sometimes modified. The only way the rules will be changed is if the regular posters to the non-spoiler forum agree that revisions are needed, or in special cases where the administrators agree that new rules are necessary and would improve the forum community.

As always, if you have questions or concerns about the NS forum, feel free to PM any of the Episode VII mods.

*These rules apply only to the NSA forum.

**While it will be off limits to post pics from The Art of Star Wars book in the NSA forum, for now it will be ok to do so outside of said forum.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So it begins.

I keep transposing "NSA" as "National Security Agency", incidentally :p

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  4. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Hehe I love how the NSA rules have been around for so long there's still references to 'Episode II' and '1999' in them :p

Jedi Gunny and PrincessKenobi like this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I had just noticed this. Feature or bug?

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Testing access..........Success!

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I like these rules! This way, even HCSF fans like myself can get their fill.

- Why didn't you tell me?
    - You are my maker and I wish you well.

/LM

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I still think they allow way too many things that are spoilers

9. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    In that case, I must've misinterpreted this:

Anything that has been released after August 1st, even from official sources is now off limits in the NSA forum with the exception of the one thread designated for newly released information.

To me, it sounds like it's supposed to be perfectly safe.
    I know that eventually, some jerk will come in here and try to mega-spoil everyone, but I'll try to steer clear before that can happen.

- Never tell me the odds!
    - Doki-oki.

/LM

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I meant what they define as spoilers as opposed to non spoilers. There are some things that they define as not a spoiler that are most definitely spoilers

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm being careful what threads I open even in here but I give the mods credit for tightening the earlier rules about "official source" information.

Hopefully JJ Abrams stays as notoriously tight lipped as his reputation says. I don't recall Lucas playing his cards very close to his chest in the prequel days.

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Yeah, but the rule that I quoted says that any and all info, including the official kind, is off limits (except for that special thread). Which means that we can't discuss anything but what we already knew by August 1st - plus speculations.

- Look, I can't get involved! I've got work to do!
    - Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?

/LM

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That seems to be something they lifted from a previous prequel version of a non spoiler thread, because the link takes you to weird old EPIII thread. And there does not seem to be a modern version.

Then in the rules above they go to great lengths to define what a spoiler is or is not, so that would lead me to believe that any of those things that are defined as not a spoiler are open for discussion here.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It probably was. I was spoiled during the prequel days so I may not have a good perspective on this but I don't remember complaints about leaks then.

15. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The link is to the old 3NSA forum, I had no idea that still existed anywhere! Good times there. It was quite safe from spoilers and was a bit more civilized than the spoilers forum, which I hope this one will be as well.

Now that this forum is open, I have to figure out how to wean myself off the spoiler forum. I have become used to it.

16. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Question: Is posting access to SuperShadow to make fun of his Episode 7 ideas allowed? I think it would, but I just wanna be sure.

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Not that I personally care, but what happens if someone in the SA forum posts a thread with spoilers in the title, and that thread has the most recent post in the SA forum? The thread title will show up on the forum list right next to the NSA forum and could potentially spoil someone accidentally. Or is there already a rule prohibiting that?

18. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    That being said, what about some of the other "speculation" threads that are Present in SA and the Archive, such as "Give a Title for Ep. VII", etc. ? Would those be allowed here as well?

19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This board is like a deserted ghost town in the old west with tumble weeds blowing through it . . .

I think I hear crickets. LOL

GGrievous likes this.
  20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Start a new thread about something. :p

21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Typically, all 3SA (now 7SA) links were prohibited. It was simply easier to police that way.

It will be interesting to see what the management does as we get closer to release date. I can tell you that in 3NS, by the end I believe, the vast majority of 3NS'ers had seen all the trailers and read much of the official information that was out there. We reached out to the community and asked how much content people wanted to discuss, and by the end, (it's been a long time so forgive me if I'm wrong), I *think* we were able to discuss all officially-released info in most or many of the threads.

There were threads designated [HCSF] for those who didn't want any information, but there weren't many who had the intestinal fortitude to stay spoiler-free for so long.

For now, the difficult thing for people to remember will be that the discussion of ANY info regarding the film in this forum will be limited to the one discussion thread.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm honestly surprised to hear people say that it takes willpower to stay spoiler-free. I had a couple of instances of being mad as hell over being inadvertently spoiled in the TV forum. Once was my fault for opening an episode thread after the episode had aired in Canada, once was someone making a thread with a spoiler in the title (which, to their credit, the mods edited immediately). I'm not one who has to force myself not to look. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

I hope we will have a similar discussion about how much content people want to discuss closer to the time, and that there will still be some "safe places" for those of us who don't want to know any more than the character names and the setting.

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    For sure. But keep in mind in some ways it was easier with TCW because you didn't have more than a couple of weeks where you had to worry about a specific episode.

Here we've got a couple (?) of years before E7, and there's going to be much more press/twitter/etc about it than for TCW.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The entire Internet will become Episode VII news, it's nice to have a safe haven...thanks to the mods! :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.