main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh, I loved the Rockford Files. My mother had a big thing for James Garner, and we watched the show religiously when I was growing up. Re-read your description of Rockford and substitute the Millennium Falcon for "trailer" and you've essentially described Han Solo. Coincidence? I think not. (I also love - love - Angel.)

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Angel is fantastic comic relief. The supporting cast around Jim was really great. He gets to play straight man to Angel and Rocky, and Becker and Beth get to play straight man to him.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    19. Is there any Star Wars era that you prefer? (Old Republic, Clone Wars, NJO, etc) Are there any that you could do without, or think that could be done better (besides the post-NJO)

20. And for our final question, the most important Star Wars question of all: What are your favorite A Song of Ice and Fire characters (Game of Thrones characters for all you show-only watcher philistines :p) and why?

JackG likes this.
  4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Where do I sign up to be interviewed?! :p

5. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

You might want to ask Todd the Jedi, since he'll be taking over for me soon :p

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I didn't sign up. Some creepy guy knocked on my door, gassed me, and next thing I knew I was being interviewed.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is why I always wear a gas mask to open the door.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Living in Chernobyl sure has its downsides.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Funny; that's how I got PG to interview me.

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    19. Is there any Star Wars era that you prefer? (Old Republic, Clone Wars, NJO, etc) Are there any that you could do without, or think that could be done better (besides the post-NJO)

The period from the Han Solo Trilogy to The Unifying Force is definitely my favorite. It's full of great stories and great characters, it's got the best-developed cast, it's got the most exposition from WEG and Essential Guides, and ultimately it's just where the action is, and nothing will ever quite be what that period is. It's the ultimate in Star Wars as a big, thoroughly developed universe, which is what appeals to me. Besides, it's got most of the best stuff.

I could do without the TOR era existing. Set those stories elsewhere. I'm tired of Sith invasions of the Republic and we didn't need a new one. Otherwise, I wouldn't really say that there's a period that doesn't interest me. Most of them could stand some kind of improvements -- that's the way it always is -- but I want to see more from all of them. The only one I'd say needs a massive overhaul is the Clone Wars. I find it really interesting conceptually, and there have been a lot of great stories set there during the initial run, but even leaving aside the way TCW mangled the continuity and obviously necessitated an overhaul, the original run wasn't particularly satisfying overall because it had no idea where the war was going and no idea of the big picture. What it really needed was to sit a while and take a break after three or four years of Clone Wars bombardment, let the reference sources gather it into a compelling overall picture and give the creators time to evaluate it, and then after four or five years off, come in with a campaign designed to tie the whole picture together and move away from one-off one-world adventures into a coherent effort designed to create an actual narrative for the war. TCW failed to do that and just made the existing chaos worse. The result of what we've actually gotten is a Clone Wars era that's become insanely stale and boring. It deserves way better than that.

Aside from the main era, the other eras I feel the most passion for tend to be eras that are underexplored. I really like the pre-Clone Wars prequel setting for reasons I can't even identify, and I want to see more of that decaying-golden-age Republic, especially outside the narrow Jedi perspective. The Separatist Crisis, the Palpatine administration, what the galaxy's fringe was doing at the time, all that. I'd also love to see it expanded backwards. The effort to build a backstory, and expand the movie period in the opposite direction, has been startlingly lacking. Give me a couple Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon novels. Give me Qui-Gon and Dooku novels. Do something with young Mace Windu as a Padawan, or a brand new Jedi Knight. Introduce characters there that you can go back with. Do a comic about young Pellaeon in the Judicials fighting pirates or something. Dig into the Tarkin family. Show us Jedi working with Antarian Rangers and Praxeum ships.

I also like the KOTOR era, and want to see it built out to cover the Mandalorian Wars and connect back with TOTJ, and to have it go forward and cover the Exile's reestablishment of the Jedi, etc. I think that's a really rich era. I also want more of the New Sith Wars. It's an incredibly interesting period, and I want to see it built up into a serious setting. More on the post-Ruusan Republic would tie right in. I also want to see more done with the Dark Times. The current handling of it is really uninspired -- stories stuck within one year of ROTS and a lot of the same old story about Order 66 survivors and Vader smacking random people around, not a lot actually doing anything with the potential of the era, examining the foundations of the Empire and its gradual transition, the way normal people responded to life under the Empire at its height of unquestioned power. When it starts getting around to that stuff, I'm going to be really interested.

I also would really like to see some kind of a new era opened up focusing on the Republic's golden age. Like five hundred years BBY, or 2500 BBY, when the galaxy was at peace and you can focus on stories of people going about their business in a peaceful galactic civilization, exploring a galaxy that's not fully known yet, trying to outwit the law, keeping the peace -- to really capture that feeling of a golden age of galactic civilization, a galaxy at peace and prosperous -- to see the Republic at its best, the Republic of legend we were always told about, when it wasn't wracked by some galactic war. I'd also like the see the galactic wars, though. Just not the ones with the Sith. Give me Pius Dea stories, Alsakan Conflicts stories, early expansion and foundation and war with the Tion stories. I'll take all of those I can get.

20. And for our final question, the most important Star Wars question of all: What are your favorite A Song of Ice and Fire characters (Game of Thrones characters for all you show-only watcher philistines :p) and why?

[​IMG]

THE STARKS. The Starks, the Old Gods, the North . . . I'm in their corner all the way. So I obviously love Ned and Robb, plus Jon. I like Arya a lot, too, though it's been frustrating to have her so detached from the main story. I like Sansa and look forward to good things from her. Bran is kind of boring but I think he's about to turn awesome. I also love a lot of the supporting cast in the North. The Blackfish and the Greatjon are probably my two favorite characters in the whole setting. BADASSES. Also badasses: Jason Mallister, the Mormont girls, Ser Rodrik, and Lord Manderly. Pretty much any Stark loyalist has my undying love at this point. And Robb's companions, too. Especially Darcy and Ser Raynald Westerling. Poor Raynald. And poor Rollam. I also like Olyvar Frey, the only good Frey. My goal is that the entire Frey family is wiped out, every last one, except Olyvar, who can succeed to the lordship. EVERY LAST ONE.

Other favorite characters among the leads are Tyrion (everyone loves Tyrion), Jaime, Davos, and Brienne. I'm kind of coming around on Theon now that he's so pathetic. I can't help but like Stannis, too. I hate his stupid religion and I'll never forgive him for wanting the Young Wolf dead, but he's too uncompromisingly awesome not to respect anyway. The other guy who's not POV but is too important not to count as a lead is Littlefinger, and I must confess, I love that sneaky SOB too. You magnificent bastard, Petyr. I hope Sansa stabs you in your goddamn back, but it'll be a great run. I guess Robert counts, too. You can't help but love Robert.

From the supporting characters, I love the Old Bear, and pretty much anyone else who's an old grizzled badass. Qhorin, Donal Noye, all their ilk. Sam's fun too, and Maester Aemon. DOLOROUS EDD. I'm so glad that he gets to be part of like the best part of the entire series ("Edd, fetch me a block."). Barristan the Bold is the ultimate badass, and I like any of the knights from that previous generation that rattle around as legendary names -- Arthur Dayne, Gerold Hightower. Other names: Mance, Tormund, and Ygritte. Bronn. Oberyn. Kevan Lannister. Sandor Clegane. Tommen.

And of course, the ultimate totally obscure but totally awesome character, and thus pretty much my favorite in the entire series . . . Garlan the Gallant.

Mia Mesharad, cthugha, JackG and 3 others like this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Havac

For a second there, I thought you were going to forget Ser Barristan Selmy. Which would of been unfortunate, as our alliance would of ceased to exist. :p

--Adm. Nick

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My answer to that question would've been something like this:

[​IMG]

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    "The Cripple" sounds like it could be used for a chapter title in AFFC/ADWD.

14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    And that's the end of the interview! The floor is now open for anyone to ask Havac questions. In a day or so we'll continue with dp4m!

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    21. Despite being here six years longer than you, I can't remember a time when you weren't a mod. What are the best and worst experiences you've had in your capacity as a mod?

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Really, I recall grumping about in Havac's welcome to Modhood thread :p

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    21. Despite being here six years longer than you, I can't remember a time when you weren't a mod. What are the best and worst experiences you've had in your capacity as a mod?

Well, there have been some satisfying bans . . .

Really, the best part of being a mod so far has probably been introducing the Aluminum Falcons. I really like having that and the Hall of Fame around to let everybody in Lit come together and look back on the EU each year. The worst part, really, is the conflict when you get into disciplining people. I don't like that, and I feel bad that I was probably more aggressive than I needed to be early on when I was younger.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well you really should have let them know you were thirteen when they hired you.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    What do you think this is, Wookieepedia? I was nineteen! Which is clearly an age of great wisdom and judiciousness!

20. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That's it, young man. No bible stories for you tonight!

22) Why did your parents decide to name you Ebenezer?

lawl jokes. I guess what I mean to ask is --- and don't take this the wrong way, as it's really just curiosity directed toward everyone here who I don't know beyond their screen name and avatar --- Do you think it's important to keep your personal identity secret on an interweb forum? Do you think that those of us who use our real names and add each other on facebook are crazy? Aaaaand would you ever come to a con or some sort of Lit meetup?

23) What caused your sudden departure from Wookieepedia/do you think there's any hope for the site? Do you still use it as a resource?

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If you, me, Ben, Nick, and Becca are the sample group, it doesn't really help the sanity question.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    22) Why did your parents decide to name you Ebenezer?

lawl jokes. I guess what I mean to ask is --- and don't take this the wrong way, as it's really just curiosity directed toward everyone here who I don't know beyond their screen name and avatar --- Do you think it's important to keep your personal identity secret on an interweb forum? Do you think that those of us who use our real names and add each other on facebook are crazy? Aaaaand would you ever come to a con or some sort of Lit meetup?

For me, personally, I take personal information seriously just because we're living in such a weird information age where everything you put out there is recorded and searchable and open to the public. Do I want to spend the rest of my life tied to every penis joke I made when I was seventeen? My mindset is just better safe than sorry -- I try not to be ridiculously secretive, and I'll talk about what I do and what city I live in and all that -- but I do want some layer between my online life and my personal life, just because who knows where my life is going to go and what job I'm going to end up with or what nut could get pissed off at me. Just personally, I stopped using Facebook because I wasn't really interested in having everything about me stored for the future. I'm also just by nature a private guy; I tend not to want to talk about my own business too much.

But I don't fault other people for wanting to be more open online. It can foster some close friendships when you let down those walls between online life and personal life, and I do share a little more privately with close friends I trust. It's just my choice to be paranoid. As for cons or meetups, I wouldn't rule them out. There are a lot of people I've met online I'd love to hang out with personally, and I like the Lit community as a whole and would be happy to meet people in person. Cons are mostly hypothetical, though, because I don't have the money to blow on a lot of travel or anything at the moment, and it's just not been a priority so far to get to any. If anybody's ever in my area, though, or if I come to their area, I'd hang out. You know, with my friends. Not with Darth_Generic833. I don't know that guy.

There is one person who's already met me . . . well, technically two, if you count VIPs. So I'm willing to do it.

23) What caused your sudden departure from Wookieepedia/do you think there's any hope for the site? Do you still use it as a resource?

I do still use it as a resource. I have a lot of affection for Wookieepedia and loved being part of the team there. The first generation of leadership there were people I remember fondly and wish I still saw more of -- jSarek, Hydro, Cull, QuentinGeorge, Fourdot . . . great people, most of whom aren't around as much as they were. The problem was the leadership that was in place in the last few years before I left. Some of the old guard, the people who were there to make a great encyclopedia and engage with the Star Wars community, were still around, but between people moving on in life and getting squeezed out by the other faction in the leadership, they were on the decline and the place was far less fun to be. Things were getting driven too much by a couple of guys who I guess needed to have some kind of feeling of power in their lives, and did that by grooming a bunch of high school kids, who I don't blame, and packing the administration with them, and fostering a culture of us-vs-them fight-picking and hierarchical puffery. "The way we do things right now" got sanctified as a holy tool to beat up on anybody who didn't get in line -- if they were a newcomer, they were an outsider idiot who was trying to "change" Wookieepedia, which is the worst thing that could possibly happen, and if they were an oldbie who had actually built that place, they were some out-of-touch fool who was trying to drag Wookieepedia back into the dark ages of 2007, never mind if that charge bore any resemblance to reality. Due to the way things were set up, it was just about impossible to get them out, given how they'd managed to pack the administration with fifteen-year-olds who ate that us-vs-them superiority and insularity up, and fighting with them was no fun. Ah, I remember the good old days of private IRC conversations where they'd tell me to go sit on a pool drain and have my intestines ripped out or whatever, and demonstrate an unhealthy fixation on my balls, and then accuse me of being a sad, hateful, pathetic little person for telling them to grow up and get over their power trip. Incredible powers of projection, and a great facility for turning every accusation brought against them into a smear-campaign referendum on the accuser's awful character for once having sworn in a debate thread or whatever, while they got up to some awful **** in private. They're the only people I've met, in all my time on the internet, I would genuinely characterize as just awful, despicable human beings. I didn't want to give up the place to them, but with law school, I just didn't have enough time to dedicate to writing big articles anymore, and I decided that it wasn't worth the effort to keep fighting in that ****ty a climate. I haven't really kept up with the environment there, so I think there's been some turnover as an effect of time, and hopefully things are better than they were, but while I loved my time there and I'm extremely proud of what I was responsible for, I just don't have the time to go back to doing what I did. I still miss it, and I wish it the absolute best, but I think my time there likely is over and I can say that I'm happy with what I accomplished while I was there.

23. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Sadly, no.

Edit: Hey, I have another question.

24) Let's face it --- we all have a pretty good idea (if not a hand-written story treatment) of what the next post-ROTJ trilogy would be if we were asked to write it. What happens in yours?

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  25. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Brand-new film trilogy, or post-FOTJ book trilogy, or book trilogy set at any time post-ROTJ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.