main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why I shall be spoiled...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Aug 2, 2013.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I thought about going spoiler-free for Episode VII, but I know I probably won't have the willpower to do so. I'm way too excited for this one (moreso than the Prequels) and I know there's no way I'll be able to simply avoid everything pertaining to the film. Besides, I was spoiled rotten for ROTS and it didn't affect my enjoyment of the final film in the least. You may know what happens, but it's still a big surprise to see how they actually achieve that on screen.

2. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I was spoiled rotten for the prequels because I figured we knew the basic outline of what was going to happen.

I want to stay pretty spoiler-free for episode seven just to see which way I prefer it. Don't know if I will have the willpower, though.

The thing is, reading spoilers and speculating about them in the lead up to each prequel gave me -literally- hundreds of hours of entertainment and enjoyment. I'm worried that giving that up for the sake of a surprising two hours just won't be worth losing that.

Darth Eddie and ShaneP like this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Part of what I like when you go spoiler is you get to enjoy and appreciate how they're making the film as theyre making it. All the select images for AOTC, the BTS stuff for Ep1, etc. It becomes a bit of a journey in itself as the film is being made.
    And I was spoiled to greater and lesser degrees on all the PT films and that didnt impact my enjoyment of the films.

4. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    Meh, these days you'd have to go and live in a cave to be totally spoiler free on a big movie like Star Wars Ep 7. Click on any newspaper website and you'll get a headline with the first pictures of Luke Skywalker in Ep 7 gear as soon as they come out.

I won't be reading the book or comic before I see the movie, but stuff this rubbish about avoiding trailers and news stories, some people are way too precious. It's more fun if you've got little bits and pieces to get excited about!

5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    If I could inject spoilers I would, no seriously give them to me now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Precisely! It's still an experience to see how all the effects turn out, the acting, etc.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Certainly it is still an experience to see even if spoiled. For me though, the experience is greater and more compelling when I don't know what is going to happen.

Being spoiled for me is kind of like watching a recording of a sporting event that happened the weekend before; a lot of the luster of the first watch is just gone when I know what will happen.

Not that it ruins the movie or anything in the bigger picture, especially given that as SW fans, we end up watching these movies at home on DVD/Bluray way more times than we will ever admit to anyone. ;)

8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I want to be there when they're making the movie. Spoilers are the next best thing.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I was totally spoiler free for TPM and completely spoiled for AOTC and ROTS. Once spoiled always spoiled. It is too addictive!

CaptainRegor likes this.
  10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Spoilers don't usually bother me. Maybe it depends on how much I like a franchise. With Star Wars, knowing what's going to happen and seeing it happen in the theater feel like two different things. As a writer and editor, I enjoy narrative at different levels, so knowing the story isn't so big to me because I enjoy watching how the storytellers have decided to execute it on screen; or how the actors deliver the dialogue, bringing it to life in a way much different than me reading lines from a script.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I am happy to learn about new characters, but not major plot points. It was different with the PT since the overall outcomes were mostly known anyway it was just the how we didn't know.

With the ST we know pretty much nothing

Garth Maul and StoneRiver like this.
  12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I really like the feeling of watching a movie without knowing a thing about it. I think I started feeling this way with Episode I because I use to be one to want to watch trailers and scour magazines for pictures and articles. Another thing is that the time between Episodes I and II felt atrociously long because I checked on stuff everyday, then speculated and wondered and regretted knowing only to keep doing it. It was on my mind more. The time between Episodes II and III (and leading up to Episode One) didn't feel as long because I avoided everything. I've always regretted learning details of Attack of the Clones because it was the one prequel with all the surprises. We had no idea what would come after Episode One. A lot of people find that one to be their least favorite, but just the initial experience--of seeing Obi-Wan with a beard, Anakin in black like Luke in RotJ, the "clones" of the Clone Wars actually being pre-Stormtroopers, Count Dooku, Boba Fett as a kid and a father in his suit--would have been more exciting regardless of the flaws.

DaddlerTheDalek and jaqen like this.
  13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    why I shall be spoiled?

Because when it comes to certain things, I am weak.

14. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I was totally spoiled for the entire PT and loved every second of it. That's my plan for the ST as well. My three main reasons for doing so are:

1. Spoilers won't change whether a movie is good or bad.
    2. It's fun slowly getting new info and pics and piecing everything together over time.
    3. It's too hard to avoid all the different media outlets when news starts coming out.

The last one is the biggest one for me. I mean, let's look at how much you'd have to avoid in order to stay spoiler free for Episode VII:

*Newspapers
    *The Internet
    *Radio
    *TV
    *Trailers in front of movies when trailers for Episode VII start coming out
    *Friends, family and co-workers who're Star Wars fans
    *Billboards
    *Toys, clothing and other merchandise once it hit's stores
    *Magazines(just a cover of EW or the like could have what some consider spoilers)
    *Posters, banners and standees at your local movie theater

Darth Claire and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Frankly, I've never been spoiled, because anything they release, especially photos, are so ambiguous, it leaves you with more questions, anyway. Although if I had a chance to read the entire script, I wouldn't hesitate.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't mind finding out things like that, such as what characters will be in the movie or cast or general plot. it's more specific story details that I don't want to be spoiled about.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm fine with all of it, but I would probably at least try to resist reading the actual script in full. Other than that, I like A Chorus of Disapproval 's analogy of seeing food ingredients laid out in preparation for the final dish.

18. Chuckskyline

Chuckskyline Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    a study was conducted, the researcher found that spoilers can increase the enjoyment of the film/book/media

This is a news link or an article: http://www.ucsdguardian.org/news-an...enhance-one’s-reading-experience#.Uf_uDaz8J8E

If you don't want to read the article:

" “It seemed that what was most important was that the spoiler was clear and understandable. Across different genres, it seems like spoilers were making people enjoy stories more.”

“One is that having a spoiler makes a story easier to read and understand,” Leavitt said. “The other theory is that people tend to focus on suspense regarding the outcome, and once you know how the story will end, it enables you to broaden your focus and appreciate the other aspects of the story, like the language and development of characters.”

Circular_Logic and eht13 like this.
  19. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    That must be why we like our favorite movies better and better every time we watch them.

eht13 likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I love watching the movies I really like over and over, just to savor seeing how things develop... even moreso because I know things are coming. My wife doesn't get it. :p

Darth Chiznuk and Dra--- like this.
  21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Spoiler alert! Now I know everything about the article!

:p

22. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I joined this forum strictly to read spoilers.
    When I read a book I read the last 3 pages first then go back to the first page to see how I will get to this ending. That's how much I love spoilers

23. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    i will continue to be spoiled because going through the last 10 months being drip fed the way we have was bad enough...i couldn't imagine going the 20-21 months until release without finding out anything more....I'd go insane....

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I think the fun part is also discussing those spoilers and arguing over the minute details that you pick up and obsess over.

Getting one random picture and trying to work out how it might be the key to everything, Darth Crane anyone? LOLOLOL

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    As a former 2NS member and 3NS mod, I understand both the lure of the spoiler and the desire to be as spoiler-free as possible for the best experience on opening night.

I've usually walked a middle path - I will always watch the trailers, as there simply is nothing quite like a SW trailer. I will generally look at anything official that's released, and possibly spoilers.

But I will not read the novelization ahead of time, and I won't read any major plot spoilers. It's harder and harder to remain spoiler-free in this connected era, since it's so easy to find any info that's available.

Once this place starts to get too spoiler-heavy, I expect I'll retreat to 7NS. :D

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.