main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I agree with your sentiment that if Disney ever plans to make a live-action show, that it will be sometime after Episode VII (and possibly the remainder of the ST) is released. Like you said, they'll want to capitalize on the hype to maximize viewership and draw in fans while excitement is at its height. I can envision a TV show covering either the Dark Times like Rebels, only from a more mature perspective, i.e. the seedy Underworld types, or try to tie it in to the new films by doing a post-RotJ series that might either expand on the potentially new EU generated by the upcoming films, or even events in between the films to fill in the gaps and possibly expand on certain characters and events. There are really many possibilities.

But OTOH, Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan does have a point as well. Will Disney be willing to fork in the expenses necessary to get a LAS up and running? They are all about profit, and it may be cheaper to just stick with animation, which is why Rebels is more in their short-term plans. But who knows? Always in motion is the future. We will have to wait and see.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I still don't see it happening. They'll have TV covered with animation such as Rebels, which will cover the dark times time period. They'll have live action covered with a bunch of new movies... the Sequel Trilogy plus the spin-offs. And if they want another TV show in the future after Rebels (meaning after Ep 7 has come out), I doubt they'd go back again to recover the dark times time period or any other time period that far back in the timeline.

3. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    This. The live action series was a Lucasfilm idea concieved before it was decided that we'd have a new live action blockbuster movie every two years from now to foreover. Disney already has 5 live action movies in the works with likely more to come (that is 10 years worth of live action movie releases already planned).

Also, in a way i feel that TCW, even in its death, paved the way for the future of Star Wars animated programming. Five decent seasons capped off with an Emmy. Whether you liked the stories or not most agree that the animation style really just "worked" for Star Wars. I see a future of 3D CGI animated series for Star Wars' television future.

Not that I didn't want to see a more mature SW television series mind you. I just don't see any chance that it will happen going forward and honestly don't see any need for it.

eht13 likes this.
  4. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    They could easily move the timeline of the show to a post-ROTJ period. In fact, it could be interesting that way - they could go into the power vacuum on Tattooine with the demise of Jabba as a long running subplot. Honestly, the criminal element - a huge part of what the series was to be about - can easily be examined in pretty much any point in galactic time...

I'm really hoping that this show sees the light of day somehow. I don't have a lot of hope that it will, but I'm keeping hope alive. I would honestly rather see Underworld than the upcoming sequels.

5. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Star Wars: Agents of Imperial Intelligence.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope this gets made.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Is this show ever gonna happen

9. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Probably not...

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    spicer likes this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  12. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I hope this happens, and I hope Ronald D. Moore still has a significant role in the show.

TX-20 and my kind of scum like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I said this in the article but it'd be sweet if they took "Underworld" and made it a summer "event" show ala cable networks or the way "Under the Dome" is working now for CBS. Also? Star Wars in the summer, all summer long!

my kind of scum likes this.
  14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Between a new movie allegedly every year after 2015, Rebels, whatever new video games, novels, comics, etc. continue to be released and now the potential for another show(s) with ABC, I think there could easily be a saturation of Star Wars in the media, which I would not necessarily think is a good thing. I think it becomes less magical and more something that could easily be taken for granted when all media outlets are flooded with Star Wars material. Hopefully there are not more than two shows at a time (IMO). And hopefully they will be sufficiently different in tone, time period and focus to keep them feeling fresh and distinct. And as for the movies, the same thing. Hopefully they aren't all just Sith vs. Jedi in various time frames. They could save that for a saga, and/or perhaps an Old Republic era film. But I hope they dive equally into things like the Underworld, secular elements, or even that blasted Boba movie that keeps cropping up in rumors.

I personally am not super excited about the prospect of Boba being a main character in a film, but it would be better than flooding the films with Jedi and Sith, IMO

15. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I seriously doubt we would get a second television show while Rebels is still going on.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I really hope it will be something for adults only. I'm getting tired of kids stuff.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    This.

I just think this is a bad idea right now. An Underworld series was fine when we were looking at the prospects of no future films, and only The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network, however, I fear Disney is going overboard here. We are looking at not only the prospect of a new feature film every year, but an animated show, and now a new live action show in addition to Star Wars Disney park overlays. This good easily turn into a situation link Star Trek where Trek at times had two shows on TV while still producing feature films... eventually the general public grows weary of the franchise and moves on to the next shiny thing. I suspect Disney is soon going to be in a similar situation with their Marvel properties in the next few years, now with multiple feature films per year in addition to both a live action and animated TV series; if Thor 2 underperforms, or Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man tank (which I suspect is very possible) it could be a bad sign of things to come.

Disney should really tread carefully here and weigh whether they want to make back their investment as quickly as possible, or make even more money in the long term, but take things slowly.

Yancy

18. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Interesting but I am concerned that they could end up overproducing too much Star Wars so that people get tired of it.

Shadow_imperium likes this.
  19. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Don't forget it's Disney, they're on the way to four MU cartoons, on XD, while having SHIELD, and the movies.

It's conceivable, that once LFL animation has hit it's stride, that they'll put in some of their talent, and we could start seeing multiple Star Wars Cartons, at the same time, maybe even multiple live shows. Disney has more tehan just ABC, it has ABC family, regular Disney, Disney XD, and Disney Jr, and all could end up with some kind of Disney content.

20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The marvel universe is different in that each hero is unique and has a unique flavor. Thor is nothing like Iron Man. If I go watch Thor 2, it will probably feel like a completely different experience and universe than Iron Man 3, only in The Avengers do those separate universes seem to mesh. Captain America then feels different yet again. They are significantly different in personality, powers, villains, etc.

They COULD diversify the Star Wars universe with an Underworld show/film, a show about Jedi, perhaps a political intrigue show, a show about the Rebellion, etc. But part of me is pessimistic about their capacity to do that. I mean half the discussion about Rebels here seems to be:

1. How will Vader be used?
    2. Will Rahm Kota appear?
    3. Will Barriss appear?
    4. Will we see the Purge?
    5. Will Starkiller's role in the Rebellion be maintained?
    6. Will the Emperor's Hands make appearances? etc.

I hope the answer key is:

1. Vader will be used sparingly

2-6...

The fan base (as a whole, not every single individual) seems to be most interested in Jedi and Sith in a show about the Rebels, or anything Star Wars related for that matter. This is one case in which I hope Filoni does not listen to the fan base and does not just start cramming Jedi, Vader and lightsaber fights into Rebels.

Unlike the Marvel Universe in which every constituent has its own flavor, I am fearful of every Star Wars constituent story boiling down to Sith vs. Jedi., which Rebels does anyway, if you consider it a part of the saga and figure that Luke ultimately enters the picture on the side of the Rebels, helps redeem Vader and ultimately secures victory for the Rebels through that action.

For Rebels I think Jedi-free is the way to be. Jedi and Sith will always have a place in the universe, but I think their stories should not bleed into every Star Wars story. If they want to give everything a unique flavor as Marvel has done, then they need to showcase different elements of the Star Wars universe.

21. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    A live-action show, especially one meant for adults or at least with a PG-13 rating, could be quite different in look and themes from an animated show. Imagine, say, a live-action show following the adventures of the pilots of a fighter squadron and the crew of the warship that squadron is assigned to in a SW version of the recent Battlestar Galactica show. I believe the franchise and the fanbase is big enough that two good but different TV shows could thrive at the same time. Three would be stretching it, however.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's been my position as well; should be interesting to see what they do.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd like to see an Underworld-type show geared towards adults, and I think the summertime run that was mentioned is a great idea. It will certainly give us new material to discuss in these forums so maybe the "summer in LACWAC" reputation can redeem itself. [face_laugh]

I'm not concerned about over saturation. There is such a large range of time and worlds to explore in the GFFA; two shows can be themed very differently and still be Star Wars.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    What do you mean by something for adults only?

Saving Private Ryan level carnage?

Racy love scenes?

I have a hard time imagining either of those ever being let into something with the banner "Star Wars" on it.

25. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    or Disney

Soon as kids hear about a Star Wars show, they'll want to see it

and disney will want to merchandise it, now, if you want Adults only Star Wars, just type ir in Google

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.