main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Dooku Captured: An Insult to the Sith and to Viewers

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Vialco, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011

other than it's existence? :p

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Yes I see it, he has all his horns, he is supposed to be missing one :p

3. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    No, he had all his horns when he wielded his spear on the show, so it's perfectly accurate. The real problem is that his belt is miscolored. It's supposed to be grey with a black stripe, not black with a grey stripe.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh, didn't even notice that

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I love the absolute contrast between their facial expressions at the end.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps the point of the PT is that Sidious is the only one anybody should really be worried about.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    That arc makes Yoda's line about the Emperor being too strong, pure gold.

Vialco and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    "Randy" Now that's a good name.

I LIKE IT!

9. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012

*youmustbenewhere.jpg*

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thank you I have been wondering how that happened

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah, when I first saw those episodes I really thought they ****** up transitioning from one to the next. They probably did and just used the web comic to patch it up.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Randy originated before my time as well, Mzukiller.

I figure it must be from Randy Savage (The Macho Man)

13. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Years ago, back when TCW was first announced and that Grievous would be part of it, I remember wanting to ask the producers the following question: "Which General Grievous will we see: the acrobatic, badass killing machine of the Tartakovsky microseries, or the ineffective loser of the Revenge of the Sith movie who spent more time fleeing in one way or another than he did fighting?"

Sadly, it turned out to be the latter.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, that's correct.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Snap into a Slim Jim!

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  17. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    And now, I, too, have learned the glowy green origins of the one known as "Randy"

Anyway, say what you will about Dooku Captured, it is the first episode to introduce Hondo Ohnaka, who's probably my favorite new character from TCW, so all is forgiven in my eyes.

Something I just noticed - is Dooku Captured the only episode title with a character's name in it? I cannot recall any others.

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Actually, there are a few others. For film characters only, there are:
    • Lair of Grievous (just before Dooku Captured)
    • Grievous Intrigue
    • R2 Come Home
    Then there's Hunt for Ziro and Carnage of Krell for TCW original characters.

Agreed about Hondo, one of TCW's best original characters.

eht13, Force Smuggler and Darth Eddie like this.
  19. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    /\ Grievous Intrigue popped into my head the minute after I posted that... Although I would hesitate to refer to 'R2' or 'grievous' as "names", per se. As for the rest, it seems my episode title memorizing skills are getting rusty.

20. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    He is even worse the ROS Version if that was possible

Esg likes this.
  21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    ROS novel countered it

22. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    This episode was complete garbage. This was one of the few episodes I've seen of the TCW and it just demoted my opinion of the series. Thankfully, some other episodes I watched were rather good and cushioned the blow.

I have absolutely no problem in buying Dooku being overwhelmed by sheer numbers but only 40 pirates? 40?! Just 40 for the most powerful man in the galaxy along with Yoda, Mace, and Sidious?

Filoni knew how stupid the whole scenario was (he announced the idea of Dooku being captured with the nervousness of a person jumping into a lake full of sharks) and listening to his explanation was even worse: Filoni suggested Dooku would be barely able to take out 15...

This is a guy who's among the strongest, who easily can shoot lighting out of his fingertips, demolish pillars with the force, fend off two skilled Jedi(Anakin and Obi-Wan who could probably take 15 guys apiece) like nothing and Dave has trouble buying Dooku taking out 15 thugs...

Furthermore, in the episode, Dooku apparently forgets his mastery of the Force and makes no attempt in influencing the mind of a common crook and his band of thugs. And if I remember correctly, a lizard has no trouble in stealing his lightsaber. This isn't just dumbing Dooku down, it's completely laying waste to the character.
    Then, after he's captured, we don't even get to see the significance of his capture. Dooku is the very essence of the CIS movement, thousands of diplomats and CIS militants should be bothering him every day and his disappearance should launch an entire fleet to locate him.

Then, when he's captured, we don't even get to see the regal, sophisticated, yet conniving side of Dooku. And it's not just Dooku that gets screwed over with this episode, it's Anakin and Obi-Wan as well!

When Anakin and Obi-Wan finally meet with Dooku, they have this sort of nonchalant, mildly angry attitude towards Dooku, who is the leader and instigator of everything that there fighting against! Anakin just shows a bit of contempt which is just laughable. This, even if we were to go with the absurd capture of Dooku, would have been a great time to see Anakin's unbridled rage come out. Dooku had him sentenced to death, sentenced Padme to death, and with Anakin's often simple deduction of right and wrong, we should see Anakin ready to kill Dooku with his bare hands upon seeing him captured in the chamber. We could have Obi-Wan calm him and stop him from doing so (we would get to see the effect that Obi-Wan could have had with stopping Anakin from murdering the tusken raiders if he were there) and have Obi-Wan muse on how this is a reversal of positions from Geonosis (where he was imprisoned by electro-cuffs with Dooku talking to him). We could even get a quick scene with Obi-Wan asking a bit about what drove Dooku away from the order, the righteousness of his movement, the 'Darth Sidious' that Dooku mentioned in their last encounter, and so forth.

The episode just got worse and worse, denigrating all the complexity and credibility of the characters.

You see, Filoni's explanation is symptomatic of a major underlying problem of the series: quite a few of the episodes didn't do a lot of justice for the characters. Remember that line in the ROTS crawl, "Heroes are everywhere." Well, this was our time to see it, to see how many actually sympathized with the CIS and hated the Republic for even just reasons.

One of the mods here, Havac, wrote a great piece on how Dooku was mishandled throughout these series. All that richness in his character gone, reduced into a cackling evil overlord, and on top of it, making his character implausible. But I actually saw a number of characters who were handled poorly throughout the series. On the other hand, the Clone Wars comics/volumes by John Ostrandr had all that adherence to the characters and truly did a superb job in handling the characters.

Still, there were episodes and moments that were reasonable and/or outstanding. But this episode was not one of them: 'Dooku's capture' was such a poorly done episode that it should lie in the gutters of SW canon.

This episode wasn't just an insult to viewers: the characters in this episode were so poorly portrayed, I couldn't help but exhaling "What?!"

23. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Oh gee, I never knew this episode is so hated here! :_|It's one of my favourites! So many funny moments!

Hondo get's introduced, Dooku captured, Anakin's and Obi-Wan's interactions are priceless (with Anakin looking in a dorky way at that butt-shaking pirate lady dancing on their table, allowing Obi-Wan an epic facepalm moment...), the three of them having to escaple for like three times because they always get caught - also, JarJar getting his moments too, along with the clones. I probably never laughed more at any episode than at this one!

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Sure, the episode is funny, ironically though.

25. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Yes, this episode made a joke of Dooku's character. Would never happen in the original Multimedia Project.