main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I have a bad feeling about this...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I have mixed feeling about Ep7. One the one hand I want more stories, I want more films. On the other hand I feel the creating a sequel trilogy is perhaps not the best idea.

For a start, the story which began with Ep1 was completed in E6.
    The Emperor and Darth Vader were destroyed.

Because of the shear amount of time that has passed, the new enemies of the sequel trilogy cannot be Imperial. So no Grand Admiral Thrawn then.:(

Immediately the Yuuzhan Vong spring to mind, but I doubt we'll see this. I also expect the films to ignore the EU.

Ford, Fisher, and Hamill are OLD. Really old. I can see an old, wise, Alec-like wise old Jedi Master instructing a new Jedi order, but an old, fat, Princess Leia? A geriatric Han Solo still tinkering with the clapped out millennium Falcon? I don't think so. The couple had nothing really to do in ROTJ, and the EU. Solo's journey ended in Ep5 and Harrison thought so too. Which is why I was so surprised to see him reprise the roll in E7.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Do we even know he's reprising the role? He's been pretty tight-lipped about it.

I agree with you that the story of Palpatine's Empire is over, but fortunately that isn't the only story to be told in the GFFA.

I would love to see either the Vong or a similar threat. The reason the Vong were so threatening is that their belief in their gods defied all semblance of reality and mandated that they and their gods be allowed to take over the galaxy, and they were not afraid of either pain or death, in fact they welcomed it, so neither could be used as a deterrent. We don't necessarily need the Vong itself but a similar type threat could be well done.

I expect new protagonists, maybe offspring of the Big Three, maybe not, with one or more of the Big Three reprising Ben and Yoda's mentor role. My only "I have a bad feeling about this" comes from the idea of casting Disney Channel actors.

I think a sequel trilogy will do best if it presents itself as an all-new story with some familiar elements as opposed to a continuation/rehash of the old story.

Prior to the Disney takeover, I was finding it depressing that Star Wars was completely over, especially with the quality of TCW show taking a sharp decline in the past couple of seasons. I'm glad we're going to have new material to look forward to and discuss now, especially with Kasdan involved in the spinoffs.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I think we will be the beneficiaries of Disney and their desire for a huge return on the investment. We may not like it all, all of the time but I believe Disney, JJ and Co. will put out a quality product.

“I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.” – Jango Fett

4. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    It's not the sequel trilogy that worrier me. It's the idea of infinity. Spinoffs, X, XI, XII, Young Yoda (Go to prom with me will you Yadddle?), ect. It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

Echo Base and jaqen like this.
  5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It'll be interesting to see what new stories they can come up with, because this really isn't supposed to, in my mind, replace the Saga. It's just a new story for a new age in the GFFA.

6. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Geez, am I the only bothered by the first post in this thread? You act like Harrison Ford should be in assisted living playing shuffle board and mumbling into his apple sauce. The man did an "Indiana Jones" just a few years ago, and that tends to be a lot more taxing than the stuff he does as Han Solo (and say what you will about "Crystal Skull", I didn't think any of its faults had to do with Harrison Ford's age).

And an "old fat Princess Leia"? Jesus, she's in her late fifties, she's not some obese shut-in waiting to hear her birthday announced on the "Today" show. Have you seen her lately? She's actually slimmed down a little and i thought she looked pretty good. Certainly looks capable of fulfilling any political/semi-Jedi role they might have for her.

And Mark? I'm not worried about Mark. Judging by his appearance at the Celebration, he seems MORE than lively enough to take up his light saber once again.

I don't understand fans who have such a problem seeing older characters. It's not likely they're going to be the main, main stars anyway. But whatever role they may have, I am beyond sure that all three are up for it.

As for the new movies probably not following the EU? All I can say is: THANK GOD for that.

kainee, princessnikki, jaqen and 7 others like this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You're right, Yanksfan ... I somehow glossed over those "old and fat" comments. This thread needs to rise above those types of comments if it wants to keep going.

Yanksfan likes this.
  8. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    My theory that The SW Saga was really all about Anakin will soon be blown out of the water, save a dramatic force reincarnation.

9. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The only argument ("argumet") you present in your original post is the actors' age, citing that as a negative. In fact, the way you say it is downright disrespectful and offensive. "Old and fat Leia"? "Geriatric Han Solo"? I am sorry, but if you base your "bad feeling" on such a flimsy and shortsighted argument, in my eyes you instantly kill any and all credibility your concerns might have.

Some people around these boards might be familiar with my posts enough to know that I rarely go into a more aggressive mode, but seriously, this age and appearance thing has been going on for quite some time now and it is probably one of the few (if not the only) recurring thing on these boards that genuinely makes me angry.
    I feel no need to go into further detail as I have said what I think of this multiple times and besides, I think that Yanksfan has pretty much said everything that needs to be said.

As eht13 points out, we should stay above such comments - but, in all honesty, besides the age discrimination thing, the OP really didn't provide much in way of other arguments except a very general concern that we don't really know what the movies are going to be about.

benknobi1, Sarge, FRAGWAGON and 3 others like this.
  10. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007

I don't think Disney will do the Vong because it would be too dark a subject matter for a family friendly film.
    I've found the TV show to be hugely disappointing. Its a childrens show. Which is fine for the kids, but not us adults. Any adults that say its for us is kidding themselves, just like the people that defend the prequels.

I'm not a fan of JJ either. I don't like his directing style. (shaky cam/lense flare) I hate what he's done to star trek. I know the two franchises are totally different and I feel he'll do much better with Wars than Trek, but there are a lot more directors out there that are a lot more talented.

I feel the opposite. I love the idea of spin off movies.

Are you kidding? Have you seen Harrison and Fisher lately? Ford looked too old in Indy 4 a few years back. That movie was a joke. Seeing old actors try to play the parts of 30 year olds is disturbing to me. What happened to growing old gracefully? Or excepting roles suitable to you age? Its like he's acting our his mid-life crisis in movies.

And as for Fisher, has she had facial surgery that went wrong? Her face looks puffy and rubbery. I don't want to see Princess Leia like that. I don't mean to be rude, (I know none of the actors will be reading this post - otherwise I wouldn't be so blunt) but I'm concerned with preserving the memories of the original trilogy.
    If she can lose the weight (and I believe she can) and they plaster her face with makeup (makeup can do wonders) maybe even a little schwarzenegger T3-type CGI touch up I believe she could pull off an older Princess Leia. Its not the acting I'm worried about its the looks.

If she plays a senator - great. But if she and Ford are expected to be running around fighting the bad guys, I say no. The parts need to be age appropriate.

As for Mark , like I said, he's the only one that I totally comfortable with. Dude looks good, has kept in shape, and an older wiser Jedi Master is something I think everyone wants to she. Luke has the force, like Dooku, age doesn't matter.

11. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

“I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.” – Jango Fett

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TheNewEmpire : I don't really care who TCW was aimed at; I watch it on DVD with my 8-year-old and we both enjoy some of it. The torture scenes in it are as graphic as the one in ESB but it also has Ahsoka babysitting Jedi kids so who knows.

Not really cool to say that an opinion on a set of films which boils down to a matter of taste can be "wrong" though with the people who hold the "wrong" opinion are "fooling themselves."

As far as Ford, Fisher and Hamill--who said they'd be playing 30-year-olds? I expect them to play characters their own age if they appear. And Crystal Skull took place 20 years later than Raiders so Ford wasn't supposed to be 30 there either.

There is plenty for a 50-something Leia to do and it does not involve wearing a metal bikini.

I don't really care if any of them appear but I certainly would not assume that none of them could or should solely due to age.

Pensivia and The Hellhammer like this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, looks like this can be locked at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.