main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Unpopular TCW Opinions

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Looks like you got your wish, Legolas Skywalker! :p

[​IMG]

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well then Bring it on :p

3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    S5 really ruined this thread for me. I used to agree with most of the unpopular opinions...but now...too much Gascon!!! [face_talk_hand]

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Like seriously, I just cannot undertsand their thought process in creating that arc. Some of the bonus content sounds amazing and I am generally quite critical of this show. Why waste time on stupid, unrewarding and pointless crap like the droids arc before doing the Sifo-Dyas or Order 66 arc?

5. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Budget. Time.

Productionwise, compared to most arcs from Season 3 onwards, the arc was incredibly barebones. It's primary characters were a bunch of droids who slide around on wheels. This makes them incredibly easy to animate compared to humanoid skeletons. The arc also mostly made use of already existing sets (Star Destroyer bridges, etc) or very bare ones (the Void, the sparse settlement, etc). They spoke about being 'experimental' and what-not, but 9 times out 10 such 'experiment episodes' in TV shows usually come about as a result of having to save time and money for other, more ambitious episodes in a season. The writer would have been told to keep it as barebones as possible.

Given that the payoff of this was that we were able to get episodes like 'The Lawless' and the visually stunning finale arc, I'd consider it a fair trade.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently they were locked into "arcs only" in season 5. Which is ridiculous in and of itself. A droid-centric stand-alone episode might have worked.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't agree with that, I think it's all about variety. Now I love variety, but just not that kind. I think they felt they hadn't been keeping up with their little-kid-episode quota since S1 and S2.

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    See you on the darkside

9. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    My biggest problem with Maul is that since he wasn't exactly a character in Episode 1, it's hard to even see him as Darth Maul in the new series. I understand that this is Lucas' fault and no one else, because he was written horribly in the movie. When they brought back Maul, it doesn't feel like Maul, it feels like a completely different guy with Maul's appearance and name. Because now he has plans, he has patience, nowhere near as arrogant as he was. That's a lot of character development that they expect to buy.

I fully understand why people would be mad, because even IF he survived being cut in half there's no reason that he should've survived that fall, and being without legs for 10 years without any real medical attention is a bit of a stretch

I really want to say that I enjoy this new Maul, but I just can't. I'd prefer if they had just made new character instead of asking people to jump through hoops of suspension of disbelief.

Or just clone him, that'd probably be 100xs easier to swallow.

TaradosGon likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Don't you DARE insult the GREAT General Gasco........my bad

11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol are we really getting upset that some people may be posting unpopular opinions that they liked that arc? I didn't like Gascon much but WAC I related to in a bad way and I thought "A Sunny Day in the Void" was beautiful. I don't think that arc was released to meet any kiddie episode quote. Void is a dark episode in its own, twisted way with WAC telling the flesh creature to commit suicide. TCW has always had variety and been unafraid to try going into territory like Politics and Droid sentience even if the unconventional stuff wasn't so well receive which does provide a larger picture of the galaxy and enlighten the mythos. I think that stuff is commendable and hope Rebels follows TCW in not always sticking to what's safe and does not drop stuff like political episodes just because season 3 was not well received.

VanishingReality and TheCIS like this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Variety is all well and good, but The WAC and Gascon Show just took being different way too far. :p

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I see it the same way for Ep. I but the opposite for TCW. Since Ep. I unfortunately left him more or less a blank slate, TCW had practically nothing to conflict with so it just filled the void (as it has for so many areas in the PT).

The Shadow Emperor and Mzukiller like this.
  14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Maul surviving without legs isn't too far-fetched. Darth Vader survived having three limbs amputated and burning alive on a lava bank. And characters change from their experiences. Vader in ANH was very different from Vader on Mustafar, he learned patience and cunning. So Maul's transformation isn't too hard to believe.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Hard for me to believe I'm saying this but - I'm starting to think Kevin Kiner actually gave TCW pretty good music after all.

16. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Especially in seasons 4 and 5..

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    True, he did pick it up especially in S5, but I think even his S1 and S2 work is a lot better now than I thought when I first heard it.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  18. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I enjoyed the S1 and S2 tracks more after hearing them without all the other effects mixed in. They seemed to suffer from mild compression in the early seasons, which could be why they didn't stand out as much.

Either way, my respect for the show as a whole went up after my summer rewatch.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  19. NumberWan

NumberWan Jedi Knight

Feb 1, 2013
    I am not sure now, which opinion is actually an unpopular now. When CW project started I had two feelings. First, that finally we've got something else from Star Wars, second - 'why is that an animation and why is it about Clone Wars?'. The first episodes weren't very interesting, they had quite simple graphics and not too many characters. And Season 1 was more or less about it: they used the very same models several times in various episodes and what's more important - the connection to the films and other sources was very weak.

It was, perhaps, Season 2, when a glimpse of faith - in my opinion - appeared. They showed more of the Jedi Temple, Jocasta Nu, some other characters from the movies. And it was good. Also they added more detail to the episodes. However, I believe, the CW was still quite unpopular with some fans (if not majority). Of all my SW fan friends, I was perhaps the only one, who watched SW since 1980s and still enjoyed Clone Wars as well.

I can't help, but mention, that while a lot of people hate some things in CW (like Ahsoka) and admire others (like return of Darth Maul), it's important to say that the series made quite a nod towards older films (and books as well as other EU) by introducing young Tarkin, Mon Mothma, the Mon Calamari capital, alien species from Episode IV and Coruscant plaza with spires, originally created by Ralph McQuarrie so many years ago.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Here is one I know most of you DON'T share:

TIKKES is the greatest character in Star Wars for me!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Talzin is allied with Palpatine.

EU be damned.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  22. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    My unpopular opinion is that it just went far enough. I truely think the arc is funny and SW is intended to have humour in it.
    Now what would be waaaay too far would be...someone going to a convention as Gascon!

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization did have a few more words from Maul. And also, short stories were published shortly afterwards- which wee the journals of characters from Episode II.

Maul's journal depicts a bit more of his personality, and his training with Sidious. That version of Maul, while not as sneaky or ambitious, did seem fairly cool and collected when not in battle.

24. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Maul would have been different because he spent 10-12 years living as a rather insane creature... And he was restored by magic so he probably underwent a bit of a personality change due to Talzin's meddling!

My unpopular opinion: I enjoyed the Mon Cal arc. Though I'm not entirely sure how popular that arc is or not so have no clue if it is an unpopular opinion :p

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I enjoyed it as well- though it must be said that I enjoy most things Star Wars.