main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should there be nebulas, black holes, planets with different gravity/atmospheres, etc.?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I wouldn't mind seeing a colorful nebula in a Star Wars film, realistic or not.

What I would love to see in the sequels is a space station somewhere that isn't a travelling gigantic ball of death. Something like the wheel from the old Marvel comics or the fueling station from this last season of TCW in the Rako Hardeen episodes. With all of this interstellar traffic, you'd think there would be refueling stations/waystations all throughout the galaxy. Could be a cool place to see - perhaps with a colorful nebula as a backdrop?

2. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Star Wars is a space fantasy, we need to keep that level of fantasy up to par. The more and more it becomes your average sci-fi, the magic of Star Wars is lost.

Certainly, I wouldn't mind seeing some of these elements, but there's already been a great deal of atmospheric diversity in the SW universe.

Could we use more? Absolutely. It's a plus. But nothing that's too overbearing or too difficult to adhere to.

Ganger likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But this would up the level of fantasy.

4. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Anything but black holes. Star Wars had a chance to do cool things with black holes but JAT ruined it forever.

Oh, and having a black hole would visually be too much like the Star Trek movie, so it would be a little uncreative on Abram's part.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    No, Star Wars can have black holes if they use the Maw cluster near Kessel, constantly streaming Kessel's atmosphere into the Maw.

That's the only place I want to see black holes in any form in Star Wars.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Perspective issue. If it's far enough away, the Falcon can move across an arc a few hundred metres long, and appear to move past a big chunk of galaxy.

Sum-Wan likes this.
  7. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Pretty certain there is a nebula behind the Tantive IV in ROTS when Obi-Wan in Greivous' ship approaches.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There is? Pic?

9. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    A nebula keyed my car last night and I think he's going through my trash. No, they shouldn't be in episode 7!

Ganger likes this.
  10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Here's an idea: The high-tech space station where the new villains are living is hidden in a nebula. That way it integrates a nebula into the plot without it feeling like its "there just for the sake of being there."

Summer Dreamer and Sarge like this.
  11. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Sorry. I have had a look and I can't find a picture. Someone may be able to do a screen grab from the DVD perhaps. It is very brief shot and it could be just a star cluster from what I remember.

12. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    Oh, peachy. You had to mention black holes. Now we're going to get all star-treky and have time travel in SW....

kainee likes this.
  13. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012

I like the pictures.

That's one thing that's really been missing in modern, realistic sci-fi - the true effects of beings on another planet. I'm not talking atmosphere like Plo Koon or wearing the air masks in the belly of the slug. I'm talking about gravity effects on persons not used to being an alien world. A few miles of circumference of the Earth smaller or bigger would have an effect on our mass. Not every habitable planet has the exact same matrix and mass as mother Earth. Not to mention the "moons" of Yavin or Endor. I get its all fantasy. It would be interesting to see something of that nature incorporated into the new movies.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Our weight (mass is fixed, weight is dependent on gravity) but, yes, I'd like to see people lumbering a bit on a high-G world or bouncing a bit on a low-G world.

Sarge and Circular Logic like this.
  15. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    ah yes... meant weight. Thanks for the assist!!

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I am all for something like a black hole to be in the film, but I don't want to suddenly see all of the Starfield to be riddled with anomalies and space phenomena. because (apart from a nebula in ROTS and that other galaxy looking thing in ESB,) we really never saw any of that. And the Starfield was always just stars. so hopefully that remains consistent. But I would love to see something in the story regarding the Maw, or the Kessel run which, if I'm not mistaken, is right next to a black hole.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Kessel Run is next to a whole bunch of black holes. Which are called, collectively, the Maw.

Of course, Disney or Lucas might have their own ideas as to what the Kessel Run was.

18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    We've had an asteroid that, despite its extremely small size, had Earth-like gravity, enough to have an atmosphere with an Earth-like greenhouse effect--but without attracting the asteroids that were hovering right next to it... IMO any attempt to make Star Wars more "scientifically accurate" (or however you'd want to express that) would not only be inconsistent with what's come before, it would just make it not Star Wars anymore.

Unfortunately for the rebellion, the Empire had "1000s of probe droids searching the galaxy," and that makes the odds of detection close to 1 in Star Wars logic.

Sarge and Sum-Wan like this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured it wasn't the asteroid generating the "atmosphere" - it was the space slug, whose stomach they were inside- possibly as a byproduct of digestion.

Doesn't explain why it didn't escape through the slug's mouth though.

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

Nor does it explain where the space slug would get the energy to heat itself up like that--it would need to eat a gigantic amount to do so. But yeah, fair alternative explanation.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe one of the SW books I read recently (possibly the Star Wars Visual Dictionary) said they feed heavily on uranium ores in the asteroid belt, and had a uranium-based metabolism. Though I'm not sure if radioactive decay would be generating that much heat.

22. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Agreed.

23. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I wouldn't mind seeing a scene set on a comet. Also, I would love to see the base-inside-an-asteroid that Ralph MacQuarrie drew as concept art for Star Trek: The Motion Picture finally make it to the screen:

[​IMG]

kainee and Circular Logic like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Another Space station, refueling station or Shipyards could be fun to see.

25. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't know if I necessarily want more spacey-looking stuff, but more atmospheric and alien scenes on the planets themselves would be cool. I always liked how the asteroid/mynock/spaceslug scene from ESB was mirrored in AOTC when they land in the stem vent crater on Geonosis (and also the asteroid belt chases in their respective movies). It would be cool to see a space or upper atmosphere dogfight in small fighter ships as they duck in and out of clouds or gaseous elements or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.