main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Christianity Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Can you provide a scholarly, accredited, trustworthy source that you have, from a reliable physical book or journal article, that can back up your claims or not? You keep telling me to use Google, but the Internet is not always trustworthy.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Less trustworthy than an ancient book of fables? Riiiight.

3. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    If you are not willing to provide or simply can't provide (because you don't have one) a trustworthy, scholarly source from someone who has studied this in depth and has a reasonable explanation for these supposed relationships, then why should I believe you? You keep demanding that I provide scientific sources for my assertions, because only science has the answers, but when I ask you to do the same, you try to dodge my requests.

Sarge likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Methinks she's trolling you, timmoishere, especially given that a similar request for accredited sources on her end a few pages ago, was met with 'You're going to hell if you don't believe the Bible is absolute truth whether I have accredited sources or not'.

5. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Believe it or not, I've often asked the same question, and I was going to include it in my post, but I got sidetracked. It's an intriguing question, and when I meet God face to face, I want to ask Him where He came from. I'll try to get back to you with the answer. :D

Like I said before, I believe in miracles. By definition, a miracle is unscientific. So science will never explain a miracle.

That story is certainly true. JOel Osteen has nothing to do with it; I don't listen to him. The father and the friend with the envelope are both good friends of mine with no reason to make things up. $10 for a pizza, sure; you tip the delivery guy, right? And he's not the kind of person who normally orders pizza without knowing how to pay for it. I take the fact that he did to be another indication God was at work. I'm not putting this out as "Guaranteed Proof Gawd iz Reel!" I'm saying I've seen enough things like this to make me believe there is more to life than what we see.

I"ll be back soon with some questions on zero point energy...

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Lowbacca_1977, thanks for the universal expansion/contraction review; I haven't looked at stuff like that in a while. That was a good memory refresher.

So here's my question about zero point energy. I get the idea that energy and matter, particles and anti-particles, are switching back and forth and maintaining a net of zero in the energy/matter equation. Why are they going back and forth? How did that cycle get started? I wouldn't expect there to be any disturbance to start the process. And it seems counter to the principle of entropy.

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    It's not a cycle. It's random particle generation and annihilation, in the same way that radioactive decay is a random process. So what's happening is that matter (and antimatter) are being generated, then annihilating again basically at random. There's not a cycle in play, it's just that on the very small scale, events don't behave strictly under the rules of cause and effect, but there is also random and spontaneous events occurring.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    obviously it's because the 'rules of cause and effect' were created by FLAWED and SINFUL human beings! god rules science drools THERE

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A thought I'm carrying over from the creation thread...

Let's say the Bible is literally true. We have the story of Jesus at the wedding in Cana, in which the guests had what I consider a pretty serious crisis: they ran out of wine.

Jesus noticed this, had the hosts bring him two massive barrels of water, did his magic stuff, turned that water into wine, and averted the crisis.

Based on this story, Jesus was a pretty damn cool dude. And I would like for him to come to my house and fix my sink.

[​IMG]

Sarge and VadersLaMent like this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Actually science does explain miracles. It explains them away and untrue.

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yep. Just because no explanation exists for a given phenomenon doesn't mean one can't be found eventually. Things that have been classified as miracles in the past can easily be explained by our current understanding of science.

14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    ?

15. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    A truly loving god would not punish folks simply for not believing in him. And a truly just god would provide concrete evidence of his existence in order to convince all skeptics.

Therefore, I can only conclude that your god is neither loving nor just.

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    it's a bit presumptious of god to think that people would even want to believe, or worship him anyway. even if there was concrete evidence of his existence, i wouldn't want to worship him given the attrocities he's committed over the years. he also comes across as a bit needy which isn't particularly appealing.

Lowbacca_1977 and VadersLaMent like this.
  17. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

Now you're just stalling.

Not sure if serious, or just trolling.

18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

I wonder if he ever turns water into beer?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Beer has a lot of calories. Jesus loves those of us who are watching our weight. :p

20. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    OK, Jesus, make it 18% ABV mead and you've got a deal. :p

Sarge likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I have friends who brew their own mead. It usually comes out about 30 proof. And smoooooth!

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
  24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    memebase.com

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes, Jesus appears to be nothing more than a remake, remix or rehash of earlier myths. A not insignificant number of scholars doubt that he ever existed in the first place.

VadersLaMent likes this.