main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Swords & Swordplay etc

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Sarge well I guess what I want isn't basically the worlds longest butter knife kind of katana. Maybe I will be the samurai geek that I am and sometimes play around with it safely of course. But I have already found a katana I am just considering buying at here: http://www.trueswords.com/beautiful-natural-katana-sword-full-tang-earth-tones-p-5292.html I like it because of the style the only reason I have to ask is because I don't know my metals so I don't know how quality of a blade is high carbon steel. help please?

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    If only he could cut his caloric intake.

rumsmuggler and Sarge like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Seems like a really good price - maybe too good - for a properly tempered blade. I'm not familiar with that company; has anybody else dealt with them?
    After a quick scan of their page, I found this http://www.trueswords.com/musashi-1060-carbon-steel-clay-tempered-katana-dragon-p-5755.html If what they wrote about it is true, that one should be properly tempered. It costs a little more, but still not expensive.
    Again, I'm no expert on katanas, so I'll defer to the expertise of anyone else who knows more.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Oooh, that's gonna leave a mark!

Iron_lord, rumsmuggler and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  5. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Yeah I mean I love katanas as obvious but like I said I don't know my metals to differentiate a quality potentially battle ready katana between something that should always be just for show because it would easily break.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's hard to tell from a web page if it's good steel or not. Aside from the low price, I didn't notice anything to give me a bad feeling about this.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    There are plenty of sword forums online, you could easily find where someone has asked the exact same question and gotten a bunch of responses from knowledgeable katana geeks.

8. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    They look so proud of themselves
    Like they are true warriors, down to the very last pound

9. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Yeah, for a good cutting katana you can bet on spending in a range of at least $400 to $600. Of course as with anything else, the more you spend the better you get. If you are just starting stick to the $600 range blades, they are thicker and a bit heavier but less forgiving and help perfect proper technique. Once you have some really good experience you can start looking for a better blade that is thinner and lighter, they cut far better (they also tend to have blood grooves).

If you are going to get into this please, for the love of what ever god you revere, don't just pick up a cutting sword and start swinging. Please find someone with experience and learn proper technique and respect for the sword. It is no different than a gun, if used improperly it can kill or cause serious injury.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Alright dangnabbit, how do I embed videos from Facebook? I have about 4 or 5 that I could do but just can't figure it out. [face_frustrated]

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've bought good medieval cutting swords for $250-$300. They're probably not as nice as $400-$600 katanas, but they're fine for me. I bet he can find something satisfactory without spending quite that much. Of course I'd love to have some of the $1000 blades I've seen, but I need to show a little bit of financial responsibility.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

That's me on the left.

Mikaboshi, do you see a little icon with two bluish rectangles, I think it's supposed to be a couple of frames of film? Just click on that and copy the URL of the video. It's not hard, I just figured it out now.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I should show some financial responsibility as well, but don't know if I can restrain myself. :p

The typical sword I cut with is around the $500 range, but I have cut with a sword that cost $3000......there is a HUGE difference.

One day I will drop the cash for one of those, and I will be happy for the rest of my days.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My church is cool. Of course, my opinion may be biased by the fact that they like this sort of thing and encourage it.

Iron_lord and Saintheart like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  16. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

"The Accolade" by E. Blair Leighton.

I salute you.

VadersLaMent and Sarge like this.
  17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    lol..not even close.

As far as learning about quality steel, there are plenty of pages that go in to the different grades of steel and what the best use is for it. There is also a riddle of steel, but you must learn that on your own:p

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

Riddle me this rumsmuggler. What's long, hard and comes out to play with feisty men?

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite paintings.

Sarge and CloneUncleOwen like this.
  20. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Agreed, I almost bought a print of that once.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I used to be a swords expert like you Sarge....till I took an arrow to the knee.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I really like the one that shows a lady tying a kerchief around the arm of a knight on his horse; I think it's called The Favour. I'd like to get that one too, but after the amount I spent on The Accolade, I can't justify buying another print which I don't even have wall space for.

Iron_lord and CloneUncleOwen like this.
  23. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    "A Lady's Favour".

Absolutely magnificent. Anyone who dislikes the works of E. Blair Leighton and claims to understand knighthood and chivalry should
    be forced to hop around while clattering coconut shells in a remake of MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    To be fair, the Englishman who did this during Rob Roy did rather well out of it. :p

Sarge likes this.
  25. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

...and this guy brought a sword. :D

CloneUncleOwen and Sarge like this.