main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT A New Hope - FOX/Disney

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 4, 2013.

1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I was talking to a friend the other day and it was mentioned that 20th Century Fox still owns the distribution rights for the fourth episode of the sega.
    Is this true? I notice today that the forcecast is reporting that Disney (I assume its Disney now) are getting ready to re-release the original and prequel trilogies with a few new features packed in.
    If my friend is right, how could this be?
    Could it just be the cinematic distribution rights that he was referring to?

Another thing that I was thinking about...
    I've noticed that at the beginning of Blade Runner that the Ladd Company logo comes up even though that company is gone now and another owns and distributes the movie. That same for Orion pictures like The Terminator and Robocop.
    Does this mean that future releases of the trilogies will have a Disney and 20th Century Fox logo?
    Have exactly does this work?

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  3. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007

The distribution rights for the 6 films? For how long?
    What about episode 7?

4. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    BluRay/DVD combo set? I already have both...give us the OOT!

Immortiss likes this.
  5. Jedi-Hero

Jedi-Hero Jedi Knight

Dec 30, 2011
    There isn't anything new on these disks right? It's just new repackaging?

6. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005

http://collider.com/fox-owns-star-wars/

So unless a deal is made to transfer the rights before 2020, FOX will own 1-3, 5 & 6 until then. Episode 4 is forever with FOX until DIsney makes a deal.

Disney still owns all the characters and concepts and everything, which is why they can make Rebels and Episodes 7-9 with returning characters and story concepts. It's just that FOX owns the rights to the original six films themselves. So Disney cannot just up and release the films or air them until 2020. However, Disney and Lucasfilm could work with FOX to release the films on video and theatrically, it's just that FOX will get most of the profits.

---

Given Episode 9 is likely to release in 2019, we'll probably see a 1-9 box set in time for holiday 2020. Assuming blu-ray is still a major format in 7 years.

kainee and Darth_Pevra like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder whether the DVDs will use the 2004 or 2011 versions.

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    2011 I'd of course assume. Those are the currently canon versions, are they not?

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    They are. By the way, is anyone else happy about the movies being in print on DVD at all?

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Now that Lucas is not on board anymore, they really aren't. Canon is whatever Kathy or Bob declare canon.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You instill fear and despair into my heart :(

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm pretty sure Lucas made sure Disney/Lucasfilm would not mess up his vision of the saga, most likely being part of the agreement to sale Star Wars. We may see the OOT on Blu-ray at some point, but I highly doubt the 2011 versions of each film will be thrown aside.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  13. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    A lot, of course. But Disney will pay up, yes they will. Otherwise they can't make any sweet "complete saga boxsets".

Bob Iger already stated somewhere he had to make clear to Lucas that he had no more real say. I doubt Disney wants to deal with a meddling and interfering creator. They know his decisions are often ... less than palatable for fans.

TX-20 likes this.
  15. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    If I were Fox I'd just refuse to sell. I'd hold onto them for as long as possible and milk them for all their worth. Like they are with the upcoming box sets.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's for sure, but come 2020 they will have lost the license for TESB and ROTJ and I doubt they would make much money with perpetually rereleasing ANH. The market is pretty saturated as it is.

17. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    But they could charge Disney of Ep4 every time they want to release a box set. That over the long run would surely net them more money that a big one-time payoff...

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I guess? But I wonder: If FOX only licenses the rights to publish the ANH dvd, would Disney be free to change the content?

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    As Darth_Pevra said, Star Wars now belongs to Disney. They may be humor him, but George no longer gets any say in what happens to the Star Wars universe.

20. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    So, before Lucas could distribute one of the his many (so very many...) "new" versions of the movies throughout the years, he first had to talk to and make a deal with Fox. This probably wasn't much a problem because such re-releases were almost guaranteed to earn a profit, but I wonder if it eventually grated on Lucas, who is well-know for his dislike of the Hollywood studio system?

21. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007

If I were Disney I would do two things:

1. Commission a new edition of the Sega with a few new tweaks and effects.
    2. Release the original trilogy unaltered.

This way, if Fox try to hold them to ransom they can effectively bypass them with 'Better' versions.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I can't see it not being the 2011 versions because when you buy those Blu Ray / DVD combo packs, the DVD is pretty much exactly the same as the Blu Ray, almost down to the special features. I'd be an interesting quirk if they put the '04 DVDs in there but I doubt it.

Tagline: "blinking ewoks. Finally on DVD!"

eht13 and darklordoftech like this.
  23. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I was told once that originally Lucas envisioned Endor to be Kashyyyk, and the Ewoks Wookies. But the cost of effects and suits would be too high, and finding that manytall people would be too difficult back then. (Apparently there was an increase of tall people born in the US post ROTJ) So George compromised on his vision. Again.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are until stated otherwise. And I don't seem them contradicting Lucas for no reason whatsoever.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Seagoat like this.
  25. ElanMars

ElanMars Jedi Master star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    They can commission Adywan, he already did an awesome job with A New Hope (Revisited). Just change the CG aliens in the cantina back to the original ones (Lak Sivrak 4-ever!) and it's pretty much perfect. It already is the best "altered"/special edition version out there.

JediWheelz likes this.