main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I doubt they will now- the Oracle games were originally remakes of LOZ, AOL alongside an original third game.

When it got too difficult to link all three, they dropped the AOL remake and then retooled the others into the Oracle duo.

I would assume they won't be reapproaching the concept any time soon.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There was never any intent to remake AOL. While it's true that OOS was at one point intended to be a remake of LOZ, what happened is that Capcom got too ambitious. For example, they wanted changing seasons.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A remake of AOL (alongside up to four sequels for 6 games total) was definitely a part of the early plans following the LOZ remake.

Whether or not it was still the third game before it was canned, its hard to say- but considering it was (as far as we know) the only concept explored beyond the LOZ remake (favored by Miyamoto) and the original game (favored by Capcom), it seems likely.

Regardless, we're unlikely to get an AOL remake without an LOZ remake- and an LOZ remake is definitely something they've explored already.

4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    A Zelda thread? Why did I not see this earlier?

Bookmarked.

Also, new avatar for the occasion.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    From the Nintendo Direct (08/07/2013)

A Link Between Worlds [start at 16:45]:

Highlights
    - The Shadowy Triforce (in the logo) suggests an existence of an another Triforce from where Link lives.
    - "The World Link Lives In" is the same world as "A Link to the Past".
    - Link will travel between "The World Link Lives In" and "The Other World" while transforming into 2D Link.
    - Puzzles, Dungeons in both worlds are completely new.
    - Game set many years after Ganon was sealed in "A Link to the Past". This game takes place far into the future. Entirely new Link.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The comment of it being after Ganon was a bit weird but the footage showed that a wizard is trying to resurrect Ganon so that tracks.

Also 2D Link slips through rifts in walks to pass through walls an objects- sort of a 5th Dimension type deal.

Also kinda interesting that they emphasized TWW HD from the POV of it being the origin story for PH.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I followed all the acronyms until this one: PH. What is PH?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Phantom Hourglass. Since its been so long since TWW came out, they seem to be trying to play up the link between PH (being more recent by a few years) and TWW.

Just kinda weird to see they saying "TWW is the predecessor to PH" instead of "PH is the follow up to TWW". But it makes sense from a marketing perspective.

In fact, a lot of today's Direct seemed to be focused on drawing DS/3DS users towards Wii U content.

9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm sure Nintendo is doing just that because they'd love to see their loyal "profitable" 3DS fan base improve the dismal red Wii U sales.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Sweet I didn't know we had a Zelda thread here :D

Lately I've been looking at some sweet-ass Zelda fan films online. Here are my top 5:

11. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That last video is not a fan film but actually what remains of a concept pitch to Nintendo to create an animated film based on The Legend of Zelda. The studio was the same one that worked on Astro Boy and the last TMNT film and this has been doing the rounds lately on the internet.

While I am curious about how a feature film would turn out, the chances at the moment of seeing one are slim considering Nintendo is very protective about licensing their properties... after all, this year marks the 20th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. film and the proposed Metroid film from years ago hadn't progressed beyond the development cycle. Side question, don't they own an animation studio as well? I wonder what they are developing there.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was talk of Nintendo doing some kind of animated project with their properties a few years back but nothing really ever announced beyond that I think.

Once I have the money and influence I will earn/pry the Zelda films rights from Nintendo. I will then either be the source of scorn for generations and shrink away in shame or stand victorious over all. Not much middle ground when it comes to a Zelda film. ;)

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  13. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    With a series so revered by the community, it's unavoidable and there are still debates going in fandom regarding Peter Jackson's take on The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Either way, with the right team and collaboration... it is possible to do a brilliant film that majority of the people will enjoy.

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It's interesting with film adaptations. Some are good films in their own right but are poor adaptation, and some are great adaptations but are poor films. The Shining is a good example of this. There's the Kubrick adaptation which is a great film but it's not great as an adaptation, and Stephen King did one that turned out to be a poor film while being a much better adaptation. I've only seen one film that has been both, and that's an adaptation of a Jack Higgins book. That's what I'm hoping for if they do a Zelda film, one that stands alone as a great film but will be a great adaptation that the fans will enjoy as well.

I saw this video today and had to share. It's from a blacksmith's youtube channel. He does swords for films and such and on his youtube channel he does video game and TV weapons. If you like this one, then you should check out the others. This one, though, is Link's Master Sword:

Also, I'm curious about the Oracle games, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. Nintendo has five Zelda titles for 3DS download, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2, and Link's Awakening DX. Which is a remake of what? Which are original titles? Does any of this confuse anyone else?

15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Not confusing at all, at least not to me. All are pretty much ports of games that were at one time in cartridge form.

The "Oracle of Ages" and the "Oracle of Seasons" were originally GameBoy Color games, released in 2001. To my knowledge, they haven't been remade, but just ported to the eShop.

"The Legend of Zelda" and "Zelda II - The Adventure of Link" were originally NES games, released in 1986 and 1988 respectively. To my knowledge, they haven't been remade, but just ported to the eShop.

"Link's Awakening DX" is a GameBoy Color game that is considered a remake of "Link's Awakening" which was originally a GameBoy game, released in 1993. With that said, technically "Link's Awakening DX" is just another port to the eShop.

When released, back in 1998, "Link's Awakening DX" featured color graphics, compatibility with the Game Boy Printer, and an exclusive color-based dungeon.

(All release dates I listed are NA release dates.)

Rew likes this.
  16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    TiniTinyTony: yeah, I'm guessing they're straight ports for the 3DS, but then The2ndQuest said this:

So what I meant was are "Oracle of Ages" and "Oracle of Seasons" remakes of Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link?

What I could do with is a table of Zelda games with originals in one column and a 'remade as' column.

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The2ndQuest is referring to a plan that wasn't executed. Originally, Nintendo was going to make three games: Mystical Seed of Power, Mystical Seed of Wisdom, and Mystical Seed of Courage. But like The2ndQuest said, they found it too difficult to connect three games, so that was abandoned and the result was two ORIGINAL games: Ages and Seasons.

18. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    No, the Oracle games are NOT remakes of the first two Zeldas. They are completely original. The original Zelda was going to have a time travel plot where Link would travel between the ancient past and the distant future, but this idea was scrapped and later recycled into Oracle of Ages. That's about it.

19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  20. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    So I don't know if this has been talked about on here yet, but what do you guys think of the Zelda game Nintendo is currently developing for the Wii-U? I'm not talking about the Wind Waker HD remake, but the next original game.

Aunoma said in an interview that he would use Skyrim as inspiration for the next Zelda and I heard somewhere that one dungeon alone in the new game is gonna be bigger than the entire Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time. What do you guys think?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's too early to tell anything about the Wii U game- though I hope they shake up the formula bit with it.

As far as remakes go- none of the Oracle games are a direct remake of another game but Seasons (I think) started out as a remake of LOZ before they scrapped the three game concept and retooled the remaining two titles.

That's why there are remnants of the LOZ remake in Seasons like most of the bosses being identical, which can certainly give one the impression it's still a partial remake.

But the bulk of the game is not so similar.

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm not a Zelda fan, just had to pop in and say that I read the title as "Zelda fans, come Hitler..."

Made me wonder if what I thought about those games was not entirely true.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there is LOZ's Level 3... ;)

Someone did a side-by-side comparison of ALTTP and ALBW map in the footage we've seen:

Saw an interesting observation: the 3D games can't fudge perspective like 2D games can. Thus, for example, you are almost entirely top-down when Link walks "up" in ALBW versus seeing the entire back of Link in ALTTP.

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Okay favor time. I need some help picking out the different Zelda themes in this track:
    I'm not as fluent in different Zelda themes as I am Star Wars themes. I think I'm going to create a pole dancing routine to that track and need a way to break up the song. My last routine was to a Star Wars medley so I'm continuing my wordless-nerdy music theme with LoZ. The version of the song I plan on using is the downloadable version that you can find down the page a ways. It cuts out the empty part at the beginning.

Rew and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    MP3 times:
    0:00-1:04- Legend of Zelda main theme (title theme/LOZ overworld/ALTTP Overworldetc etc)
    1:05-1:17- Ocarina of Time, Hyrule Field
    1:18-1:24- ?
    1:25-1:34- Ocarina of Time, Lost Woods
    1:35-1:49- ?
    1:50-2:00- Sounds like more of Hyrule Field
    2:01-2:33- Ocarina of Time, Gerudo Valley
    2:34-3:00- ?
    3:00- 3:29 Main theme again
    3:30-3:35- Lost Woods again