main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Ewoks, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chainmail_Jedi, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Ewoks, Yay or Nay?

1. Yay

67.9%
  2. Nay

34.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008
    Yay of course. Come one, they live in a tree village for Christ's sake! Who wouldn't want to live like that! As a kid it really fueled my imagination and it still does to be honest.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just watched the land portion of the Battle of Endor earlier today and was not bothered by the Ewoks.
    The tree village is awesome, no matter what anyone says.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Nay. I liked them when the movie came out, but I was six years old. And six-year-olds are not known for their discriminating tastes. Now I just find them annoying. Because of them, I have to suffer through that annoying scene with Threepio recounting their adventures so far ("the MIllennium Falcon" *arm wave*--argh!). Not to mention the responsibility they bear (har har) for these head scratchers: "WTF is Leia doing casually hanging out with them? She's on an important mission, with a major battle looming, she abandons her team to hang out with these bears??" It makes no sense! And not to mention the improbability of them taking on the a legion of stormtroopers and imperial technology like that. *sigh*

And it's funny how many people find the Ewok dying sad. The only thing sad thing about it is that they spend more time on this anonymous bear's death than they do on an entire planet exploding, or on the charred remains of Luke's aunt and uncle. Sheeesh!

Nay, Ewoks! Nay!

I'm sorry, I just really didn't like this element of ROTJ. They made Han/Leia/Chewie's "battle" seem cartoonish and silly, rather than a serious military engagement.

But the one thing going for them is that they're not gungans. I'ill give them that.

Immortiss likes this.
  4. Jedi-Hero

Jedi-Hero Jedi Knight

Dec 30, 2011
    Yay! Ewoks are awesome, they took on stormtroopers with wood and stone!

5. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Considering all the other major races, and the fact they're so darn cute, and that they play a major role in RotJ, I vote yay.

I mean, they're nowhere near as irritating as the Gungans, right?

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    They kill Imperial Stormtroopers with efficient impunity then throw a big party banging and pounding on their battered helmets (perhaps with severed heads inside, we'll never know) like drums. A rare few will take up a blaster from a fallen trooper. Most will bash your head in with rocks. They will craft makeshift traps, snares, and booby traps from the natural resources within arms' reach. They will spear you. They will stone you. They are the SW equivalent to the Vietcong. Many a stormtrooper watched their buddies die facedown in the mud that day, I tell you.

Teddy bears? No, friends... cuddly, yet cold-hearted killers.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    And, may I remind you, man-eaters.

Mr. K likes this.
  8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Aside from their actions during the Battle of Endor . . . nay.

I prefer the Gungans.

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Yay. Have never, ever had a single problem with them. Have also never gotten the bitching and moaning about them. I didn't find them anymore cutesy than the Jawas or R2, and I actually quite like Wickett and never fail to be moved by their death scenes during the Endor battle.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I can see it now, a stormtrooper vet who survived Endor is taking his kid shopping at the mall, and when they pass Build-a-Bear he suddenly has a flashback and shudders and hurries his kid along...

Anyways, I guess I'd probably vote yay, I suppose I don't mind the Ewoks too much, though I do feel that the Endor battle sequences never really fit in with the darker lightsaber duel and space battle going on at the same time.

Count Yubnub and Iron_lord like this.
  11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Gotta go with nay. If they looked even a bit more alien, yeah, fine, I could probably get behind it.
    But literally just putting teddy bears in your epic climactic movie seems like kind of a bad idea to me. Not to mention them beating the Empire's best troops that way.

Wookiees were a great idea and they should've stuck with that.

Yanksfan likes this.
  12. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Ewoks, Yay or Nay?

Hell to the Yes.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Pod Racer Mark

Pod Racer Mark Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2013
    I've always been torn. I get why they are there, what they represent etc. And I like that, I really do. But it shifts the tone of the film in a way that I think hurts it in the end.

That's beautiful.

Sarge likes this.
  14. KithuraVess

KithuraVess Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2008
    The Ewoks were just too much like comic relief. IIRC they were originally intended to be Wookiees, but the idea got scrapped because Wookiee suits were expensive and time-consuming to make. I would honestly have preferred cheap-looking Wookiee suits to Ewoks.
    Also, the way in which the characters react to them, doesn't make them seem like fearsome warriors. It makes them seem like cute, fluffy creatures. Which makes the stormtroopers' defeat at their hands rather pathetic (and, honestly, an AT-ST getting crushed by logs? The Emperor should stop ordering military supplies from Toys R Us =P ).

The Hellhammer likes this.
  15. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I have to say NAY!

The symbolism of a technological advanced power being defeated by a technological inferior people could have been done much better. At least have the natives seem more like a believable threat instead of a bunch of care bears.

The Hellhammer and KithuraVess like this.
  16. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Not to mention the fact that they try to eat Luke and Han. I feel bad for the stormtroopers.

Mr. K likes this.
  17. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    Good Lord, nay.

Where were the "doo-doo" jokes in Return Of The Jedi? Surely, there had to be piles of it somewhere from all those Ewoks.

Lucas felt the need for them to blink, but not to expel waste?

18. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Nay to the ewoks. I like shooting jawas better.

KithuraVess likes this.
  19. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No. Watch ANH again. Much longer shot, and reaction from Luke. And more dramatic music. No. You exaggerate.

20. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Perhaps about Luke's aunt and uncle. But I'm not exaggerating about Alderaan. So my point more or less stands.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Less. ;)

Yanksfan likes this.
  22. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I like the Ewoks, but i would prefer if they used the wookies

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not with that kind of disparity in weaponry. If they were somewhere close to the same neighborhood in weapons and technology, that would be true.

The Ewok scenes are basically what made ROTJ the lesser of the movies in the OT. Aside from the Ewoks scenes, the rest of the movie is pretty close to as good as the first two.

Not only are they too much like teddy bears, they actually LOOK LIKE teddy bears, they don't even begin to resemble real living creatures. And people complain about the CGI creatures in the PT not being real? Please.

Not only that, you are taking a movie that is kid accessible, but not kid directed (i.e. kids would like it, but it is not kid-friendly at the level of Toy Story or The Lion King) and dropping something into it that is pure kids stuff; it just didn't fit. You don't drop Daffy Duck into the middle of The Re-Animator (that is an exaggeration, but you get what I am saying).

Yanksfan likes this.
  24. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I must agree that the Ewok scenes were ridiculous and out of place, and just like hypothetically adding Daffy Duck to The Re-Animator, the Ewoks are actually made far more horrible by their addition to the movie. RotJ adds to the universe, an entire race of adorable little Teddys that are hungry for human flesh(as shown by their attempt to eat Luke and friends), with the martial prowess to defeat some of the Empire's finest troops in the biggest curb-stomp battle of the entire saga, while at a severe technological advantage. Not only did their inclusion create a race of man eating stuffed animals, but they also stole the spot light from Han and Leia, by making the Ewoks responsible for rebel victory instead of the heroes of the first two films.

Lee_ likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Strictly it was Chewie that captured the AT-ST (with a little help from a pair of Ewoks) and Han that pretended to be an Imperial in an AT-ST pilot's helmet, in order to get the door open.

The Ewoks are certainly a help- but that doesn't make them responsible for the victory- it only makes them a contributing factor.