main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Saga & the Sequels: Role of the Skywalker family

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Garth Maul, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Though the "prequel" aspect of the PT robbed it of a great deal of dramatic tension and surprise, I understood that Lucas took the approach that The Saga was about Anakin and Luke Skywalker, and mostly about the Seduction & Redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

And so, when Lucas (IIRC) said after ROTS that there wouldn't be any sequels, as the Saga was complete, it made some sense to me.

Now we have a ST. Though I am excited because they could do essentially anything, I'm wondering if there is going to be any attempt to "extend" the Saga portion, specifically regarding the Skywalker family.

We're all pretty sure Luke & Leia are going to be there, but how much of a role will they play? WIll they have chlidren? Is the spectre of Anakin/Vader going to hang over Luke et al in the ST the same way it did in the OT?

How much do you even want the new films to be Skywalker-focused?

Immortiss and kainee like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd rather Vader's shadow not appear, not even figuratively. Let the man's redeemed soul rest in peace.

Luke: I'd like him to take a Yoda or old Ben type role, only less reclusive and more active (active beyond chopping arms off in bars); sort of as he does in the EU with leading a new generation of Jedi. I'm in favor of him not getting married or having children of his own, of having the Jedi as his "family," although I don't think marriage necessarily needs to be forbidden for Jedi as it was in the PT. I'd rather see the new Order as an organization that 18-year-olds can volunteer to join, with an understanding of the commitment it requires.

Leia: I hope she marries Han and is a leader in rebuilding the Republic. I don't know that her latent Force-sensitivity needs to be honed although I wouldn't be opposed to it. Neutral on her having children; if it's done well, it could be a good example of a woman balancing motherhood and career. I'm sure discussion will fuel the Mommy Wars no matter what direction the writers take though.

Han: Not sure--officer in the New Republic military maybe? Same with Lando.

All that said, I actually would be in favor of the ST taking place far into the future after ROTJ, a couple of hundred years maybe, with the Skywalkers and Solos just being historical figures or legends. Maybe Luke or Leia wrote a book that one of the newer characters peruses for guidance.

KenobiSkywalker and kainee like this.
  3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    (I promise not to turn this thread into an EU debate. I have no comment regarding Ben Skywalker and the Solo kids)

I'm pretty sure it'll be a continuation of the Skywalker story. For me, it'll be rather exhausting to see Luke and Leia in the sequels, mainly because of the amount of post ROTJ material. I know many might be thrilled to see old Luke and Leia, played by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher again.

As for Lucas, I just saw his AFI award ceremony last night again and I think someone (he might've) said that ROTS will be the final movie. :p

kainee likes this.
  4. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I wouldn't mind Luke being a Qui-Gon type.

Don't worry about the EU debate, GGrievous, it's inevitable at some point. :p And a debate about which, if any EU characters they'll have is fine.

I think I'd prefer it to be fairly soon after ROTJ, but for them to make it clear that they're considering this an "alt GFFA" to the EU, I think it will be much more simple than trying to shoehorn the movies into the existing material. God knows that way if there's any egregious TCW-type canon stomping, at least we're clear it is a separate timeline.

kainee likes this.
  5. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I think it will be about Luke's daughter

kainee likes this.
  6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I can see this going both ways. In one possible direction, the Skywalker lineage would play a large role, mostly due to the returning characters (even though there is no telling how much of a role they will play). However, as has been said above, perhaps Abrams and Co. will try to move away from that established canon and try to etch out a new story, interlocking their tale with the existing characters to make it cohesive. The other option is to ignore them completely and start anew with small cameos by the OT actors, but I don't think it'll fly that well. if they do that.

kainee likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope we get to see a new generation of Skywalkers and Solos but can see Luke not getting together with anyone. Maybe he adopts a child?

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh well. I was reminded about what goes on in EU debate threads. :p I'm pretty sure the sequel's canon stomping blitzkrieg would rival TCW's.

If they want the storyline to be close to ROTJ, I wonder if they'll use CGI to "youngify" the actors' (Luke, Han, Leia) faces.

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, by "close" to ROTJ I meant within 25-30 years, rather than say 100-200 years. :)

I expect (hope) that for E7, we'll start "in media res" and the crawl will give us a brief update as to where the GFFA is at these days.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like the "lone wolf and cub" scenario and could see Luke adopting.

kainee and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just have to figure out how to change it a little bit from ANH with Obi-Wan and Luke from ANH. You know, parents/guardians are killed and end up with a teacher person. Maybe have Luke stay alive after Episode 7? Or something else?

12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Given that we already have an introduction to Luke as a character, I think it's more likely that he would survive in that role. I say this because both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were both in one film as that role (i.e. were introduced), and they died. But since Luke is an established character, I think this formula might change.

Lando Swarm and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Party on, Garth!

IMO, YES Virginia, there is another . . . Skywalker. Yeah, I think there will be a Skywalker child and if, nothing else, the Ryan Gosling casting rumor seems to have spoiled that that child is a male. I'm fine with this -- the male Skywalker-- NOT Ryan Gosling, despite my suspicions that they could use a Skywalker female to carry forth the saga and for a while I was on board with Chloe Moretz playing the part. That said, I think its essential and much more apropos that any Skywalker offspring be male to at the very least carry-on the Skywalker legend.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that the "Main Saga" (being PT, OT and ST) will continue to focus on the Skywalker family. The Big Three will probably have a passing of the torch role, with their offspring continuing to play a crucial role in galactic affairs.
    Somewhere along the line, we will probably get a sort of "New Saga" which will be either set in the distant past or in the far future and will focus on a completely new set of heroes and villains, thus giving writers full freedom to do pretty much whatever they want.

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    100-200 years? I can see all of the new Episode VII memes now.

Say hi to Luke:
    [​IMG]

natureboy76 likes this.
  16. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I want them to play a big part like always. I want the main lead to be Luke's son. *cough* *cough* Ben Skywalker *cough* *cough*.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've only seen Ben Skywalker as an infant so far but I'll have to be drunk before I can watch his mother on screen, so I'm going to vote "probably not" on that one.

I wouldn't argue if Luke adopts a "cub" and names him Ben though.

18. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I think we will follow a Skywalker offspring. I just don't see them getting away from that in *this* trilogy.

(personally, I just hope Leia is a jedi. I admit that I'll be a bit disappointed if she isn't.)

kainee and Echo-07 like this.
  19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    IMO I don't think Leia will be a Jedi. I could go either way, but I like her as a politician and suspect that's the route they take. A politician who is strong with the Force.

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I wonder if Luke will have a daughter instead of Ben. Connects with the "we're looking for an older teenaged girl" casting rumor that was released months ago. [face_worried]

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd like it if Anakin's presence is felt a great deal in the main protagonist's journey. Gotta be tough to have a grandfather who betrayed his friends and family, massacred an entire order of warrior monks and helped enslave the galaxy for a few decades. I want to see Luke and Leia and their offspring still dealing with the fallout from this.

Luke: I see him as a mysterious and legendary figure of sorts. The galaxy has not recovered fully from Palpatine's regime and the Jedi's own role in allowing his rise to power so Luke is rebuilding the Jedi Order far from the jurisdiction of the New Republic. It's a small order perhaps comprising only a few hundreds knights and Luke is constantly on the move, traveling the galaxy looking for more to train and helping out where he's needed. His Order has no permenent residence like the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and is instead spread throughout the galaxy. Some are even serving in the Republic military and other occupations. Basically, they're "hiding" in plain sight.

Leia: She's a fully trained Jedi Master and also reigning Supreme Chancellor of the Republic. I see her as sort of an anti-Palpatine. By that I mean she's desperately trying rebuild the Republic and keep it together as the new threat is revealed all the while keeping her Force powers discreet because of the general distrust of Force users at the present time. I would love to see her have a main political opponent who reveals her lineage at some point in the trilogy and causes her all kinds of trouble.

Han: I think it be great to see him as a retired general now serving as an instructor at the Republic Military Academy. I have this idea that at some point before the film he had been offered the top military post but turned it down in order to teach and it went instead to Wedge Antilles. I would like to see him struggling with the life he's made for himself. He's happy but maybe a little bored after retiring the Millennium Falcon. Maybe he's yearning for one last battle and when he finally gets his wish (I'd have it in Episode VIII) he sacrifices himself in order to save his loved ones or something.

kainee and Gobi-1 like this.
  22. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    If Lucas is writing the outline for the ST, I expect another curve ball that will make you rethink the 6 movies just like the PT made you rethink the OT. Every movie after the original SW threw a curve ball in the story: Vader being Luke's dad, Luke & Leia being siblings, QuiGon finding Anakin, The Stormtroopers being clones, Padme dying in childbirth. I expect more revelations!

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Padme dying in childbirth was lame as hell but I'm hoping for a good twist in the ST.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  24. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    OK first off I want to say there were a lot of twists and dramatic tension and surprise in the Prequels, and that never took away from anything the OT originally had to offer in my opinion. As for the characters? here's my run down.

Luke: Master of the new and reformed Jedi order, I have no clue if he will have kids. Most likely to turn out as a hybrid of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon he will probably be all wise and not afraid to do this out of the book like Qui-Gon but take on some of the responsibilities that were left for him to bear like what Obi-Wan did with Anakin and Luke. He will most likely have at least one awesome lightsaber duel.

Leia: Married to Han, either a strong Politician or a strong Jedi (is it possible it can be both? Perhaps the order has changed a bit?) She will be a Mother figure and continue to be head strong in her decisions but not to the point that it will become a weakness.

Han: Married to Leia: Grumpy old man but a loving father, possibly part of some sort of military operation within the republic, still scruffy looking. Most likely will die in first movie due to Harrison Fords' hatred of his character.

Chewbacca: The Wookiee Lives!

I would hate to see a star wars movie with out any curve balls, it's yet another reason Star Wars is so great!

Meh, she had to die some way. It's better than Anakin murdering her..... if think.....

Revious Nugo and kainee like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with you about that; I would have been much more upset if she had died directly by Anakin's hand.