main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It may be hard to find- I've been trying to find the book in the shops rather than order it- and I haven't seen it anywhere.

Same may apply to libraries.

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    On that note, anyone ever read Fool's Bargain? That one was originally an eBook and is available as a Kindle download. Worth checking out?

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

It is a pretty fun little adventure and tells us a lot about the Empire of the Hand, though if you got the Survivor's Quest trade paper it is already included.

4. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I was most definitely not a paperback-waiter in the mid double-Os. I even got the Outbound Flight hardcover, but didn't end up reading it until well after the paperback was out. No Mist Encounter for me!

OK, new task: Sell me on The Hive, Saboteur, and A Practical Man. Even though I almost definitely won't end up reading them. I've read the other ones (the NJO ones and A Forest Apart (Lumpy!)).

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Obi-Wan vs Cannibals! Hmm yeah... that's about it :p

Well it is easily the most insane thing Traviss has ever written in SW (though Revelation certainly did more damage)... so might just be worth it for that. [face_dunno]

Yeah somehow I don't even remember that one.

6. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I don't know, my library has all the digital ones, too. Worth checking out, at any rate.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Saboteur is worth it. Luceno writing Darth Maul in what's basically a prequel to Cloak of Deception -- it's action-packed but it's operating within a context of Palpatine's political-economic scheming that makes COD slightly richer.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  8. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I bought a few books recently. I'm going to delve in. Hopefully, I'll love them. Some of them seem to be pretty big names, such as Splinter in the Mind's Eye, Shadows of the Empire, and the New Jedi Order books. I'm going to give them a shot.

Who knows, I might end up joining a few of the fan clubs. [face_dancing]

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    First two books are standalone, but the NJO should ideally be read in order.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, Splinter is only big because it was the first ever sequel to Star Wars and the first EU novel. It's quality is decent at best. Shadows, OTOH, is a great read, known for one of the best portrayals of Vader in the EU.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Does anyone know if the Republic comics are available digitally or am I just looking in the wrong place? I thought Dark Horse published them but I can't find them on the iPad app. [/first world problem]

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Sadly not part of the store, though you can get pretty much the whole Republic Clone Wars run in 3 Omnibuses, which should be available at Amazon or some other Online Retailer of your choice.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omnibus:_Clone_Wars_Volume_1:_The_Republic_Goes_to_War
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omnibus:_Clone_Wars_Volume_2:_The_Enemy_on_All_Sides
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omnibus:_Clone_Wars_Volume_3:_The_Republic_Falls

Very much so :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Did you ever find an answer to this?

16. Mandalorian'sForTheWin

Mandalorian'sForTheWin Jedi Knight

Aug 1, 2013
    Hello everyone, I am pretty new to the EU. I have played a couple games, read some prequel era/clone wars comics. But novel wise I have only read Joe Shcreiber's zombie stuff, which I found okay. Then a couple of weeks ago I picked up Darth Bane: Path of Destruction and Republic Commando: Hard Contact for real cheap at a garage sale. I now have some time to read them, I understand they're first in series, but should I read one of them? Or something else because from what I can see from Wookipedia there is a lot of books.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    To say the least, both the Darth Bane and RepCom series are very polarizing. It's pretty much universally agreed-upon that Hard Contact is great, while the others elicit mixed reactions due to the author's critical view towards Jedi, along with some other issues. Same with Bane, where your enjoyment of the series might be diminished if you've read the comic Jedi vs. Sith. Personally I think the Bane trilogy is great. Same with the RepCom books

A great starting point for anyone is the Thrawn trilogy, which takes place several years after Return of the Jedi and was the first real continuation of the Star Wars saga and the springboard for the modern EU.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read both the Bane books and Jedi vs Sith and liked both. Haven't read Bane of the Sith (the Kevin J Anderson short story) though.

19. Mandalorian'sForTheWin

Mandalorian'sForTheWin Jedi Knight

Aug 1, 2013
    Okay, I will probably go and pick up the Thrawn Trilogy at my local Barnes&Nobles tomorrow. After that any particular recommendations, or just what area I'm interested in. If just area I would be interested in a list of books/comics post-endor in chronological order, if one exists.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    All the more recent books have a list of published works, and the years in which they are set.

Though those don't include the comics.

21. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Hey all, I'm still reading Dark Jorney, but I'm thinking about what I would like to read after I'm finished with the New Jedi Order (and before I start Legacy of the Force).
    What do you guys think about Death Troopers? As a Han and Chewie fan, I want to know if the book is worth reading just for them, I don't know if they play a big part of that book or not.
    Thanks.

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    They're more supporting characters in Death Troopers. The book is less about them and more about the survivors of a zombie plague aboard a prison ship and a derelict Star Destroyer. If you haven't read Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures I'd suggest doing so. They're insanely fun to read and very pulpy, since they were written not too long after ANH came out. You can get the three stories in one paperback collection, and each story is less than 200 pages long, so you don't necessarily need to read all three if you really want to get to LOTF. (though I don't know why anyone would really want to get to LOTF :p ) Even still, I highly recommend reading all three stories.

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    Stop at The Unifying Force. FriendĀ“s advice.

Zeta1127 and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've read the Han Solo Adventures, yeah. They're pretty cool. I'm still wondering if that robot in Hero's Trial was Bollux or not.
    Well, I think I'll go for Choices of one and the Bounty HUnter Wars after I'm finished with the NJO.
    Thanks.

25. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    You've read Allegiance, correct? Allegiance comes before Choices of One...