main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    The closest thing that comes to mind is Sanjuro, i would love to see Luke as the weary grizzled war vet mentoring 9 hot headed young jedi in the ways of the force.

There's also the relationship between the younger and older samurai (the ones watching the duel) in Seven Samurai, but that seemed more the inspiration for the Obi Wan / Luke relationship in EP4.

I wonder if Luke takes more than one padawan at a time to try to rebuild the order more quickly and if that comes back to bite him.

Granger and Dra--- like this.
  2. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Only Super Shadow has all the answers about Lucas and the Ep VII-IX treatments.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'd like to point out that every time I see this thread I see the words treat meat not treatment. Move a long.

4. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012

I watched Sanjuro about three weeks ago and I completely agree. Also, if Luke duels someone let it be like the final duel in Sanjuro. We haven't had anything like that in Star Wars yet.

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Man, I would love to see the ST Jedi go to a kind of Samurai vibe (in attitude rather than look).

No more, arrogant and often clueless stiffs please (I realize this was partly the point).

Pro Scoundrel and Darth_Pevra like this.
  6. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    grizzled war vet? I don't think treating sick animals is his thing, but sure.
    Well, Finley maybe the Jedi will start out as arrogant stiffs but will slowly mold into Samurai as they reflect on their past mistakes and reinvent themselves. Maybe even a traditional japanese looking jedi academy along the way like Cloud Ruler Temple

7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Bearing in mind the OT has passed and that Luke seemed to fully learn lessons even Obi-Wan and Yoda couldn't, I have a feeling the Jedi we see in the ST won't be stiffs (I exclude QGJ from this).

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I believe Lucas started writing these treatments during his involvement with TCW series. At least Filoni corroborated this idea during an interview on a podcast.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I disagree with some folks theory that GL had the ST in the works since the prequels. If anything, he had conceived them while making the OT, and later tossed them away when he decided he wasn't going to do them. However, when he was going to sell to Disney, he had to reconsider his previous position. All the evidence points out to this theory. So, it's possible that he started writing those treatments during his involvement with TCW (which existed until either late 2012-early 2013)

10. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Well so far Hooks from TCW are Ventress, Ashoka(hope not), Maul, Talzin and Aura Sing. Five force users with no canon death yet. All of the over hundred years old

11. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    I'm a bit worried about those treatments, not because of the confusion concerning the original number of SW films Lucas intended to make, but because those treatments mean he'll have had more input in Eps VII - IX than I feel comfortable with after the lackluster prequel trilogy. I'd prefer that he had only written outlines. But I realize that if he'd just presented Disney with simple outlines rather than detailed treatments, Disney might not have been so willing/eager to buy Lucasfilm.

Ah, well. I suppose I'll have to hope that even if the treatments resemble those of the PT instead of the OT quality-wise, Arndt can still turn the one for Ep VII at least into cinematic magic. Besides, thus far everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney involved in the project seems very enthusiastic about the stories those treatments tell. Also, Kennedy said exactly what I'd hoped to hear about the need to focus on characters and story and the balance between practical and computer-generated special effects, so I'll let myself be cautiously optimistic about Ep VII.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh god, why do I get the feeling after reading this, you're right, and Luke will have some incredibly cheesey "I am your father" scene of his own? <_<

13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    if 'mirroring' is cheesy no wonder i love cheese so much

14. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Luke, you are my father
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    XD

Darth_Xeres: Yeah, Arndt will probably rewrite the BS parts. Even the PT would have been salvageable with a bit of consulting with Mr Plinkett. The Lucas treatments give direction to the plot, and Arndt puts in the magic. Of course Mass Effect 3 was ruined when space magic was put in so maybe...ah well, you get my point.

15. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Do you think he consulted with Leland, or Pablo, while writing the treatments?

16. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    HELL YES

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "So, George, here you should put some god-awful rape-murder "humour". Yeah, that guy should've been consulted.
    [​IMG]

18. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Plinkett is one of the few people who would have made the prequels worse.

Actually, that's a massive overstatement. Most Star Wars fans would have made the prequels worse, but Plinkett seems to have a knack for criticising the wrong parts of the prequels.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, he just quotes film school rules 101, not understanding that such rules are quite acceptable to break once you get a feeling for them and understand why they should or should not be used.

EDIT: Sorry about the derailing; back on topic [face_peace]

vinsanity and Dra--- like this.
  20. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I find it more funny than accurate but a lot of his observations are spot on. The part about how there's no protagonist, when he asks his friends to describe Episode 1's characters, how the human characters are the most alien for the audience since they are all loveless freaks, etc. Some technical inconsistencies as well like how the jedi used superspeed at the beginning but in the duel with Maul when it would've been really useful, Obi Wan runs regular speed, etc.

21. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm just having a hard time believing the outline he gave Arndt/Disney is the same exact one from when he wrote the original series. Soo much has changed that I highly doubt its the same. Maybe similar but I doubt exactly the same. I wouldn't be suprised if it was written a year ago *or around the time the Lucasfilm purchase was made* but they tell us its the one from the past just to avoid fanboys freaking out.

22. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm thinking he was waiting till he had some ideas, and some new characters to play with, Look at TCW, and what he did with the TCW expanded universe, he took what he wanted, and changed things around. It's given him a wife, and son for Luke, and children, for Han. and Leia. Characters he could insert, change, or omit, but give them different paths, and histories, plus when he had a question, say if he wanted to create a new character, he could always call in Leland, or Pablo, to see if LFL already owned a character in that role, or if he had an idea for a planet, he could cal them, and see if LFL already owned something with a similar name,species, or description. That way the EU could have an easier way to grow around it, but they would be in his movie story, and he could be free to write the story any way he wanted. As for Abrams, Kennedy, or Arndt contradicteing him, He, and Kennedy have been friends for years, and Arndt, and Abrams have great respect, and admiration for him. Again just my speculation.

23. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    All a lot of nitpicking that misunderstands the real issues.

Like the whole protagonist thing. There's clearly a protagonist in TPM - it's Qui-Gon Jinn. He drives everything in the film. But instead of asking "why is Qui-Gon the protagonist, when the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan should be the driving force of the trilogy?", Plinkett misses the point and goes off on some ramble about how we need a cookie cutter 'zero-to-hero' type.

Also, it might be because I'm a bit of a comedy snob, but saying "what's wrong with your face?" over and over again isn't really my idea of funny. At least Jar Jar only said things once ...

(But yeah, Tiger Crane Fist is right. This is a derailment.)

Andy Wylde, Immortiss and Darth PJ like this.
  24. Zatanna

Zatanna Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2013
    I can't imagine them using hooks from TCW. Most of the general audience hasn't seen the show, and would just get really confused by those characters (especially Maul).

25. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Absolutely. Episode VII is going to do it's best to be a jumping on point even for people who haven't seen the other six. To ask that people watch Clone Wars (and all of Clone Wars at that) is quite a stretch.

The new Rebels series is far more likely to seal those characters' fates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.