main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why I shall be spoiled...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012

Sounds good to me. :)

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So none of you spoiler folk would have been upset if you found out that Darth Vader was Luke's father when you were standing in line to watch The Empire Strikes Back? (Borrowing from the Simpsons).

It is one of the biggest moments in the history of film, but I doubt that it would be if it hadn't been a surprise for people.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It's definitely true that much of the tension/surprise was out of the PT since we knew what had to happen by the end of ROTS. It's going to be very interesting to see where they take The Saga now.

The young idealistic part of me wouldn't want to be spoiled for the ESB Vader reveal, but the older, more cynical part of me is skeptical that the new films are going to be able to replicate the magic. :p

4. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I will not read the novelization (or the script) until after watching the movie, however almost everything else is fair game. But I do draw the line at the Simpsons reference.... I don't abide by the boorish behavior of shouting out secrets and spoilers to an unsuspecting audience, not only do I respect their right NOT to be spoiled, but I think there is a difference In finding out information I specifically sought out, and having something ruined for me by a passerby.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm thinking of shouting Darth Vader is Luke's father at the theater and watching everyone's reactions.......

6. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    you rude person you ;)

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. I heard a story from when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was released and someone shouted out part of the ending to Half-Blood Prince and people freaked out. Gotta do something like that for Episode 7.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    That's pretty funny... but I must say, if one has not seen half-blood Prince they should definitely not yet be seeing The Deathly hallows!

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I meant the book.

10. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    An old teacher of mine walked past me as I waited to go into the theatre to watch Star Trek Into Darkness and blurted out THE spoiler for that movie. It was like that scene in The Simpsons acted out in real life.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    There was a spoiler about ST:ID?

fishtailsam likes this.
  12. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Abrams went to great lengths to keep one of the characters secret before the film's release.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope they pull a Yoda from ESB.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I loathe spoilers. If I see a film spoiled, even if I enjoy it, the memory that it wasn't totally fresh for me still stands out. I can't even stand trailers that give away too much, and I often watch films on Netflix without even reading the plot descriptions.

I'm hanging around the spoiler sections because they, so far, generate the most discussion and speculation about Episode VII. But there isn't really anything to be spoiled so far. As soon as there is, however, I'm out. I made the mistake of unintentionally looking at one or two spoilers for Episode III, and I just couldn't shake that disappointment even after seeing (and loving) the film.

15. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yes, in the same way we weren't supposed to know that Palpatine=Sidious....right? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

fishtailsam likes this.
  16. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    See, I was 'Spoiler free for Episode III' (I didn't even watch the trailer), and i liked it the least...
    weird

The people who didn't know that still make me facepalm inside.

17. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I am going to (hopefully) do what I did with the Prequels.

Read stuff from the Star Wars Insiders that I find at the supermarket.

Buy the traditional Time Magazines and TV Guide with Star Wars on the cover.

Collect the action figures.

Participate in all of the fast food promos (but try not to get fat this time).

Talk with my family and friends and speculate on what the new movie will end up being.

Finally, walk into the theater with what I think will be the movie and enjoy the film for all of its Star Warsy goodness and hopefully be surprised by it!

Of course when the prequels were released I was much younger and the internet wasn't what it is today... so who knows?

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The internet is going to make it so much harder this time.
    Should be a lot of fun.

19. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Buying the film Soundtrack and reading harmless track titles like "Qui Gon's Funeral"... :p

20. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I was spoiler free for TPM, except for that soundtrack, which I bought a week before the movie and the track I believe was "the tragic death of qui-gon jinn"

21. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Here's hoping Williams has learned his lesson and decides to NOT detail the entire plot in the soundtrack :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I'll never forget nabbing the AOTC graphic novel a week before its release. I.... I just couldn't help myself!

When I look at spoilers for the ST, I put them into categories such as Mild (press releases, casting announcements), Medium (spy pics from the set, brief plot synopsis', even trailers to an extent) and OH MY GOD WHY DID I LOOK AT THAT (leaked confirmed scripts, somehow someone got a copy of an early cut and released a torrent, etc.)

Ideally I don't want to drift into WHY DID I LOOK AT THAT territory, but if they have some neat Behind The Scenes pictures leak I'll have to check them out.

23. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I think he's been quoted as saying he wrote a piece of music for VII called "The Revival of Darth Vader", and then pretended to forget all about it.

24. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Pretty sure most of his cues are exactly that namely "Scene yadda . boing. ext/int day/night"
    That's all the soundtrack producer's call. John Williams can call whatever track he wants whatever he wants. If it's a theme, the producer probably goes "Yes it is. Lets just call it 'blah bleh bloo bleh' and you can press that on the disc."

That said...I don't care if he spoils it. His themes are amazing.

Darth Eddie likes this.
  25. Zatanna

Zatanna Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2013
    Wait...what? Vader is Luke's father?!? :eek: