main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What changes SHOULD have been made to the movies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Sarge, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    He is in a sense, surprised. He's believed for the past 20 years that he murdered his wife and unborn child! I mean, yes, all logic points to Luke being his son, but for Vader... it just doesn't compute. It makes no sense to him how it can be possible for him to have a son.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It better, he was talking (i.e: playing dumb) to the Emperor. His search for Luke throughout the movie implies (at least to me) that he isn't an ignorant to Sidious' lie and that he knows Luke is his son.

Andy Wylde and oierem like this.
  3. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    My idea of perfect edits/changes for the saga:

Episode I
    - Remove the scene on the ship between Jar Jar and Padme. Seems unnecessary and a little irritating.
    - I would put the entire deleted podrace sequence back in if you redid some of the creatures. Thought there was some good humor there.
    - Put back in the scene where Qui-Gon spots and destroys Darth Maul's probe droid following them.
    - Take out Queen Amidala's deep voice after she reveals her identity. "Get to your ships!" sounded far less ridiculous in the trailer.

Episode II
    - Replace the scene in the Jedi Temple with Mace, Obi-Wan and Yoda talking about Anakin with the deleted version with just Mace and Obi-Wan prepping his Jedi Starfighter. Thought the dialogue there worked better.
    - Put back the deleted sequences with Padme's family. It humanizes her more and makes her feelings for Anakin seem less forced than in the final edit.
    - Redub some dialogue in the romance scenes.
    - Take out the lines "Die Jedi dogs!" and "Oh this is such a drag."
    - Put in the sequence where the Jedi are attempting to shut down the droids in the arena.

Episode III
    - Put back in the scenes with Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and the birth of the rebellion. Made Padme's character seem more important.
    - Take out the moment where C-3PO wanders in after Anakin and Padme's emotional exchange across Coruscant. That was a powerful scene but Threepio almost ruined it. I assume it was just there because the Organa/Mothma scenes in her apartment were taken out and the audience didn't know Padme had him there.
    - Show Qui-Gon conversing with Yoda on Polis Massa.
    - Put back in Yoda's arrival on Dagobah.

Episode IV
    - Fix all lightsaber effects.
    - Go back to the rough cut dialogue of Han vs Greedo. It wasn't Greedo shooting first that bugged me as much as the repeating of the same sentence in the Jabba scene.
    - The destruction of Alderaan could use some added oomph.
    - More X-Wing vs TIE Fighter action above the Death Star just to amp up Imperial defense more.

Episode V
    - Put back in the line "You're lucky you don't taste very good."
    - Make the Emperor look more like he did in Return of the Jedi rather than Revenge of the Sith.

Episode VI
    - Put back in the scene where Vader reaches out to Luke while he constructs his lightsaber. (I know this contradicts Shadows of the Empire slightly but we can just say he was just adjusting something in it.)
    - Go back to the original Lapti Nek. Jedi Rocks sucks noodles.
    - There was a great fan video I saw awhile back that was sadly removed from YouTube where Vader was flashing back to his past and all the sins he had done just before saving Luke and killing the Emperor. Something like this I think would work great. I don't mind the "Nooo!!" but it could've been a lot more. This was the endgame of the saga for goodness sake! Well until Episode VII at least...

kainee likes this.
  4. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    I was disappointed it the Vader "suiting up" sequence at the end of epIII. It seemed that Palpy had pressure suits on standby in case of such an emergency.

Since it was established that Anakin was able to build protocol droids and pod racers I was hoping to see Vader in a generic type of suit and then a scene or at least dialog alluding to the final Vader suit being a design of his own.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, I always thought Vader designed his own suit and mask. He's supposed to be a technical genius who always tweaks his equipment to his own personal tastes; why would he wear a suit off the rack?

6. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Vader was a prison for Anakin, that for me is what saga is about, everything that happened to him was byPalpatine's 'design'

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    But his suit looks different in every movie. It's obvious Vader tinkered with it or at the very least tasked someone to tinker with it.

What would I change about the movies?

To be honest, nothing. I find it a silly trend to "fix" old movies so that they better align with modern sensibilities. Movies are also a documentation of their times. And who knows how old-fashioned modern day movies will look to us in twenty years? I like the OT as the 70ties or 80ties movies they are and I detest this ridiculous mix of old and new we now have.

I would not change anything about the PT movies either. I'd just declare them noncanon and reboot them. If someone then still prefers the older versions he is free to watch them.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Did they fix Obi-Wan's lightsaber burnout in the ANH duel yet? Always bugged me. And if we're talking totally unrealistic rewrite scenarios, I'd completely redo Leia in V and VI so that she has character depth beyond being a love interest for Solo.

9. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i think/hope you would find a lot of fans would refuse to watch a reboot/remake, the PT has flaws but after watching them back to back with my kids today, they still work - ,

Andy Wylde and kainee like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Couple of diehard fans don't matter in the global sense. As long as the PT reboot makes enough moneys...

11. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I think Disney has shown that they're less into re-dos and more into sequels. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if they ever do another prequel trilogy, but I doubt they'd reboot or remake them.

But then again, you make a good point. If money is what they're after, that's what they'll go for.

12. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    they just would not exist to me. i hate blatant remakes as a rule anyway, but for me SW is a sacred cow, bad bits n' all. A lot of the PT haters just never wanted a PT anyway

kainee and WriterMan like this.
  13. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    This sounds unclear to me, so I thought I'd clarify in case my statement confused any of you as bad as it did myself.

What I meant was, it wouldn't surprise me if they make another prequel trilogy that takes place before the existing prequels.

14. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    oh yes I think a lot of people would like this, stories of the old republic from thousands of years in the past.........

WriterMan likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Wrong. I wanted a PT very much as Darth Vader is my favourite character and I was very interested in his backstory.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    same here, then why do you think im happy with the PT and you clearly are not, in your earlier posts a lot of it seems to do with GL's supposed politics...this is a genuine question, Vaders back story is all I thought it would be, ill admit Hayden's performance in AOTC is ropey in places but improves a lot in III, but the story I think is spot on. As ive said before its a b movie, saturday morning matinee, its not meant to be Hamlet

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I didn't expect so much weak acting, weak writing and unsympathetic characters. Also, Vader is barely in it. Anakins personality is so different you might as well call them two different persons. I don't know why you like it? But all power to you.

I like ROTS quite a bit more than the others, though.

WriterMan likes this.
  19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    thats cos its good - i dont think Hayden was ready for it in AOTC but in ROTS was much better - Anakin/Vader same thing. To be fair a lot happens to him and his personality does change - it was an incredibly hard role to portray a much loved characterw who had spent 20 odd years masked it was always going to be a big ask - Ewan did a much superior job on Obi Wan but if you take out AOTC, admittedly much weakest of the 6, he is made out to be worse than he is. btw Mark Hamilll is massively cheesy in OT.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't blame Hayden much, you know. At least he genuinely tried. Portman I sometimes thought was on sleeping pills. ;-)

George doesn't seem to be an actors director. When the actor of Valorum asked what motivation his character had he got no real answer.

Hamill sure was cheesy at times, but I liked that. It made him feel more approachable than the perfect hero would be.

21. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    Hamill never really struck me as cheesy so much as incredibly innocent, and sometimes even naive.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Remaking the prequels on their own is an awful, awful idea.

Taking a trilogy that's already too far removed from it's predecessor ... and then make it further removed? Does not compute.

The only acceptable way to do it is to remake the whole Saga. Which is stupid, as the OT is awesome.

In fact, let's just not make more Star Wars films.

23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I'll avoid major plot/cast/ script changes that can't be done with editing or simple SE clean up, because I don't think that'll further this discussion at all.

- Big fan of the OT effects but I loathe the Tauntaun stop motion, always have. It looks incredibly fake. I can't quite fathom why it continues to make it out alive across several clean ups and retouches.

- Completely cut the Jabba scene in ANH. It just does not work no matter how many times they redo the Jabba effects. In light of the entire saga, sure the scene fits since Jabba is now introduced in the very first episode. But in light of the OT, Jabba's first scene is much more impactful, and powerful, in ROTJ.

- Reinsert ALL of Padme's cut scenes. She was so radically underdeveloped and Lucas not only cut out much needed character parts, but also Natalie did her best acting in AOTC in those scenes. Portman is an incredible actor, but AOTC is by far and away her worst film as an actor. Some of those scenes really could have helped shine a brighter light on her overall performance.

- CGI some movement on Palpatine's body as Vader is holding him in the air, about to toss. It looks like a lifeless dummy.

- Put back in the birth of the rebellion scenes in ROTS. It was a huge mistake cutting those.

- Both Lapti Nek and Jedi Rocks are cheesy, but I enjoy them both. I'm fine with Jedi Rocks being the "show stopper", but I'd love to see Jabba's thrown room scene extended a bit by slipping at least a portion of Lapti Nek back in.

- Cut out the "she's completely healthy/reasons we can not explain" part of the robot's prognosis regarding Padme and just leave in "we're losing her", keep Ben's shocked reaction, cut to the medical droid's "we need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies", completely cutting the "will to live" line. That's the biggest Episode III weakness IMO. Just skipping from Ben being shocked she's dying to the babies being delivered would leave the impression that Anakin's attack was bad and she succombed to the injuries; at the very least it leaves Padme's death more ambiguous for fans to decide. I think that makes the turn tragic.

kainee likes this.