main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPG [Fantasy Flight Games] Edge of the Empire

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Never played WHFRP or Dark Heresy, but as I understand, it's a much-improved version of those. I know from the LCG's that FFG is great about the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, so they just keep refining and adapting whatever works best. Again, don't have anything to compare it to, but it shines in EotE.

Check out the D20 Radio forums, for anyone interested in talking about the system... don't mess with that FFG forum pigsty.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I got to play this RPG over the weekend at Fantasy Flight's Star Wars weekend. Chatted with some of the game designers too. It's a really great set up, so much simpler than Saga (my only other RPG experience). It feels very streamlined and "fun" driven rather than rules-lawyer driven. I will definitely be picking up the actual books when they come out. They had some of the books there but I only got a short time to flip through it. It's far thicker than Saga's core book. I hope to write up something for TFN's main page about the game tomorrow.

3. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Picked up the Core Book, the GM Screen and some dice... great stuff. Here's a break down of the system from FFG:

4. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I just stumbled upon this and first have to ask is this basically like a Star Wars version of DnD? I never played DnD myself but was wondering as a Star Wars would this be something to get into specially if you like RPGs? Which I do its just DnD never interested me much.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    In the sense that it's also a tabletop role-playing game, yes.

6. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Is it fun to play? I am contemplating on getting everything for it but so far idk who else who plays it so my question also is if i buy everything myself could i introduce it and play with my friends without them needing to buy stuff?

7. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    You only need one set of books per group, if you're all playing together.

8. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Is there a detailed site on the gameplay or how to create a character without having to buy it? I would ask here but I have a feeling it would be a lengthy and in detail thing to say.

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    There's the video linked above, but you're not going to find much else. If you could play without buying it, they wouldn't be making very much money, now would they?

10. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Well obviously not looking to cheat them out of money obviously was just asking is all.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm just about to start my first campaign, borrowed in parts from X-Wing Alliance (family shipping concern shut down by the Empire) with the early Crispin/Daley Han Solo novels for fringe flavour. If you aren't aware guys, there's a podcast called the Order 66 podcast dedicated to EotE, and they usually get FFG staff in to talk about rules, clarify things, explain the design process etc. I've found it an invaluable asset.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm still unsure about this. I already own the core Star Wars d20 book that came out with the miniatures, and the host of my gaming group has the entire series of the same on his shelf, along with the series that had smaller books. He also got this recently. For now though i'm sticking to my d20. Its what I know, I have the core book, and if I want a Storyteller style game, I already own a few of the World of Darkness (old and new) core books.

The art and depth of the book is staggering, and makes me want to own it just for that alone. Its massive (though it should be for £40). I just don't know if I want another Star Wars RPG when there are already two out there, with supplement material, and who knows how long until yet another comes out? Also, a game with its own special dice means I have to buy those dice, but also store them. Yeah, pretty leery here. In the future? Maybe. But for now I want to get my EU collection finished, lest the books begin to become scarce.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Hothie picked up the newest beta at Gen Con, it looks pretty awesome. I can't wait until the actual book comes out. It's easier for me to run rebellion games than scoundrel ones.