main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Announcements Discussion - NSA Edition

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by citizenmilton, Aug 10, 2013.

1. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    An unpopular opinion, going by what I've seen online most of today.

But, I'm in favor of JJ's guarded-secrets approach. Don't announce anything until it's truly ready.

I'd like to hear: casting news (and of course whether or not the big 3 will return), a title, a release date, whether it's being filmed in 3-D or not, and occasional drips of info in a highly generalized fashion (tone, how's the production going, etc.).... and then, wait for the teaser poster, teaser trailer, actual trailer, and then, see the actual movie! Other than that, I really don't want to know anything else. That's plenty.

Edit: Now that D23 has come and gone, we're retitling this "No Ep VII news at D-23? I'm OK with it..." thread to make it a general thread for all speculative discussion about announcements.

Note: The is the No Spoilers version. There is a Spoilers Allowed version in the SA section, and also a thread for officially confirmed announcements in the SA section too.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thank. You.

I don't care how "unpopular" the opinion is, I couldn't agree more.

I posted an article in this thread, and I'm repeating some of the things I said there, but really...the most I might have liked to get from today would be a planned release date. And I don't "need" that.

Someone else who was here during the prequel days can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember getting a title for any of the prequels more than a year in advance; in fact I'm pretty sure it was less.

We're two years out from the release date; I'd rather they not release any information right now other than "production starting at X time, release date projected at X time" and the information we already have: the name of the director, the script writer, the person scoring the music, the film location.

What I wouldn't mind knowing next summer or closer to Christmas 2014: the time frame (how soon after ROTJ?), the starring actors, whether any of the characters will be Skywalkers or Solos, a planet name or two. And yes, whether we're getting a 3-D release. If I watch any trailers at all, I won't watch before March or April of 2015.

I don't look in the SA forum anymore except to glimpse at the GIL thread once in awhile so I don't know how upset people were today other than what I've seen on Facebook and through that article, but still...I don't understand getting bent out of shape this far in advance. The talk about Disney "alienating" Star Wars fans was absolutely ridiculous.

And I've said from the outset that I hope Abrams is as mute about this movie as his reputation says he is about his other movies.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The titles for the prequel films were revealed 8 to 10 months before the film's release.

The Phantom Menace was revealed on September 25th 1998 on StarWars.com
    Attack of the Clones was revealed on August 6th 2001 on StarWars.com
    Revenge of the Sith was revealed on July 21st 2004 at Comic Con

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what I thought.

No reason to expect a title name for at least a year. At least.

5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    My only real fear about ST is that too much hype will build up expectations that simply cannot be met. With no concrete information on which to base any speculation, the imaginations are running wild and people are building their own scenarios of what the movies should be like.
    Overhype has been the bane of many a quality product over the years.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I find the speculating to be more fun than the actual knowing. I don't care that much if nothing comes out. I just want them to make a good movie

7. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This happens with ANY sequel/prequel as its just natural for fans to do this. Heck, this happens with TV as I am racking my brain on how Season 3 of Homeland should be about. People forget that fans did this in 1978/79 with ESB as that movie had to follow up the highest grossing movie of all time. I always say 'quality' wins when it is all said and done, meaning if its a good movie then fans will like it.

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I would actually have been surprised had they said anything at all. Considering how "new" this whole project is at the moment, them releasing things now would seem rather premature.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd have been content for the Big 3 at the very least.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Disney/Lucasfilm is obviously waiting for the right time to surprise everyone, and have more information to quickly follow because one morsel will just make them crave more.

11. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I just don't think that waiting this long on whether the Big Three will return is actually going to make a difference and, if anything, could just leave to the negative effects of overhype...

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    More like 1999
    [​IMG]
    :p

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    All right, who abused the time machine again to make that? :p

cdgodin and GGrievous like this.
  15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I remember getting that issue in the mail and thought they had changed the title of Episode One.

16. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm not crying over the lack of news either. What I think was stupid though is that they played the Imperial March to get the fans excited only to reveal nothing. Then again I wasn't there and It might not have been as bad as they are saying it was.

Yea I'm mainly hoping to get cast announcements, set photos that won't give away much information, concept art for ships and such, minor plot details (stuff like if Luke made a New Jedi Order, if the Empire still exists, character bios, and if Anakin will appear as a force ghost which would be awesome!) maybe some John Williams scoring, and trailers. I'm going to try my best to stay spoiler fee, let's hope it works!

17. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think Star Wars should be handled on its own since it is above and beyond anything else, any other franchise in existence. However, this is SUMMER -- approx 2 years from the release date -- and we're already dying for news. LFL disappointed at CEII and SDCC and it was speculated that Disney was hoarding the news for themselves at R2-D23. Some nice little tidbit was warranted.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why was it warranted? I'd say the "disappointment" at CEII and SDCC was due to expectations that some people had set on their own, with no indication from either Disney or Lucasfilm that we should expect anything; therefore, the responsibility for the disappointment lies with the people who had the expectations. Disney doesn't "owe" us any tidbits until the film is released in the theater.

I think the fans discussed in the article I linked to in my last post, are behaving like a bunch of spoiled children who thought their parents "owed" them a new toy for Christmas and then got all pissy when they didn't get the toy, in spite of the fact that the parents never indicated that they had any intention of purchasing said toy.

What are these fans going to do exactly? Boycott the film that they are so anxious about that they think they are owed a title or a cast list two years in advance? I doubt it, and if a few of them do...well, smh at the idea of boycotting a movie because they didn't get news on exactly the schedule that they demanded.

19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Well it would be nice to know a little bit about the first standalone. Like who's up first. That film is less than three years away and we know exactly nothing about it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless that Vader clip was a hint for the first Spinoff.

21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    anakinfansince1983, I think a big part of the problem was that Disney sold tickets based on LFL having a presence at the live action panel. They were clever/lawyered enough not to say "we'll have a presentation about Episode VII!!!!", but the implication was that something would be discussed, especially as the Lucasfilm addition came later. They certainly benefited from the increased ticket sales and I think that's one reason why people are upset. It seems duplicitous.

I wasn't expecting any real information at all (the title would have been a big surprise), but given that they had no presence whatsoever at SDCC and Celebration Europe, it's surprising they didn't just do something like a status update: Have a supertrailer of the Saga stitched together, get the Big 3 to confirm they will be returning, confirm that Arndt's script is done, it's been approved by Lucas, they're halfway through casting and they'll be shooting in early 2014.

That's really all they had to do - revealing nothing we didn't already know, but building some hype. Even stupid vague stuff like "just as the PT changed your perceptions of events in the OT, we're looking forward to seeing how Episode VII will change the Saga. And we're so excited about the new trilogy. It's going to be fantastic".

They don't owe us anything, certainly not 2 years from release, but it's surprising to me they didn't take advantage of the opportunity to build some hype.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Is there any other specific upcoming event where they could possibly reveal anything?

In my view, it was wrong to hope that any of these big events that feature a lot of other franchises will bring us any news. Any Star Wars announcement is bound to absolutely overshadow any other announcement made during that event and that's not really good business, from the owner's point of view. The only thing that really had any potential was Celebration Europe, and we saw how well that well.
    I think any and all big announcements won't come until the end of this year and when they do come, they'll probably come at a completely random moment - not on any big event.

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, usually we'd understand why they'd leave SDCC for CE, but then we thought, since it was the first D-expo since the acquisition, that Disney might have purposely wanted to make a splash at D23.

I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over this, I just find it curious.

Echo-07 likes this.
  24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Well, Disney seems to have made their money on ticket sales, so that's what's important. Remember, they only care about fans because of our wallets. [face_peace]

[​IMG]

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Now that D23 has come and gone, we're retitling this "No Ep VII news at D-23? I'm OK with it..." thread to make it a general thread for all speculative discussion about announcements.

Note: The is the No Spoilers version. There is a Spoilers Allowed version in the SA section, and also a thread for officially confirmed announcements in the SA section too.

GGrievous likes this.