main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Weapons in SW: Question and discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since there was no thread, that I could find, about weapons in the Galaxy Far Far Away and I decided to create one.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the First question for this thread: In the Star Wars: Darth Maul comics there is a nightsister, Mighella, who wields a katana like sword that is surrounded by a greenish aura when she fights against Maul. With this sword she is capable of parrying Mauls lightsaber at least three times before the blade "breaks". I always took this aura to be technological in origin but it could also be the artists way of showing that Mighella is imbuing her sword with the force of the Dark side[face_dunno]

Wanting to find out more about her sword I went to Wookieepedia and became confused. On the page about Mighella Wookieepedia refer to her sword as a Darksaber and this can not be right since the Darksaber is a kind of lightsaber and Mighella's sword was definitely not a lightsaber.

What I was wondering is what kind of weapon is Mighella's sword since it can not be a Darksaber and why is Wookieepedia referring to it as a Darksaber?

3. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Probably just foolish assumed nomenclature. The darksaber is a unique blade. I was always under the impression that Mighella was imbuing her weapon with the Force the same way that Vodo Baas did with his quaterstaff. She's just not well trained in the technique.

Gorefiend likes this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The article calls her weapon a "darksword" which is supposed to be distinct from the darksaber. I don't think the weapon has ever been expounded upon though, but I could be mistaken.

What I want to know is what the functional difference is between a Forcesaber and a lightsaber. It strikes me as funky that the Dark Jedi Exiles were wielding lightsabers with cords extending to power packs on their belts when Xesh is wielding a Forcesaber almost 20,000 years earlier that seems superior due to the lack of this necessity. Is it a technological step backward?

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I actually always figured she is just using a Vibrosword, whilst using "Force Weapon" on it, a force power that lets you imbued simple Weapons with the power to do more damage and withstand Lightsabres.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_weapon

Edit: Yeah I was way to slow there ^^

Thing is you apparently need to use anger to power Forcesabers, so not that good an idea to keep them around with the Jedi.

6. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010

Not sure if it's a step backwards. It's probably a difference between Rakata tech and the initial attempt to recreate it, I'd say. The Jed'aii using swords and such all through the Force Wars, generally. But I wouldn't be shocked if, at some point after this, the Jedi attempt to recreate the weapon. They're still using Force imbued weapons during the First Schism. At some point between this and the Hundred Years Darkness, they make the leap to early lightsabers. Possibly as a result of studying old remnants of Rakata technology.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also the thing that the decedents of the Exiles use crystal swords in the Tales of the Jedi era

If you are interested there is a short thread about the Crystal blades hear: Crystal blades in 'the Golden Age of the Sith'

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It could also be that the Force technic that you needed to know to use a Forcesaber took a long time to learn, so they thought that the slightly more ungainly proto-lightsaber was more useful because you did not spend loots of time learning just to activate your weapon

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Apparently you don't as two of the Jeedai are able to use them very quickly, thing just is they are also both touched by the Dark Side.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Luke: Is the dark side stronger?
    Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

11. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    An obvious weakness of the Forcesaber is that you're using the Force to power it. This presumably means that you cannot direct that Force energy into another direction at the same time. It also means that if your control of the Force is being temporarily disrupted for some reason (Ysalamiri, head injury, sonic weapons, etc.) your Forcesaber goes out on you, which is obviously bad and a problem lightsabers don't have.

Along those lines it is also possible that the level of 'strength' in the Force required to use a Forcesaber is rather high, and a switch to lightsabers was much more useful for the various weaker members of the Jedi Order at a later date.

Of course it is also possible that there's some other barrier that bars the recreation of Forcesabers, like some factor of the Rakata mindset that is linked to them (Xesh and other Force Hounds have had their mental state extensively modified after all), and when the Infinite Empire falls that mental architecture is gone and the design cannot be recreated in the same way.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Also: in the same comic Mighellas boss, underlord Alexi Garyn, attack and wounds Maul with a knife that also is surrounded by an aura, not unlike Mighellas swords but purple-like instead of greenish, and Garyn lacked any Force training even if he was Force sensitive

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Could also just be meant to show the Vibroblade effect, or some kind of energy blade.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the Zeison Sha was a Force tradition that was introduced in Star Wars RPG: Hero's Guide (WotC) that used a throwing weapon called discblade as their chosen weapon
    [​IMG][​IMG]

What I want to know is how do you use it? I admit that I am no expert on throwing weapons or even weapons in general but to me the barbs/fangs/or-what-you-call-them indicate that you want to give the blade a spinning movement when you cast it and I don't see how you do that effectively with those handles. Also don't the handles make it less aerodynamic and get in the way for the classic flying guillotine move? I guess that the handles could be made to "fold in" when you throw it but in the texts that I have read there is no indication that they do that.

15. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Answer: Daily Double! THE FORCE.

jSarek and MercenaryAce like this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I was actually going to say exactly what Gorefiend said. It was just there to show that the blade was vibrating, letting you know it's a vibroblade, not just a knife.

17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    For some reason, it makes me think of Master Vodo's staff.
    At first, Kun was not able to beat his Master. He became more powerful over time and ultimately managed to cut through his Master's staff during their duel in the Senate Rotunda.

So, perhaps Maul was able to cut through Mighella's blade just by letting the Dark Side take total control over his mind and body.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    than I say that Paul Gulacy did it better in Crimson Empire

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was thinking that to but Star Wars RPG: Hero's Guide has no rules that gives Force-users/non-Force-users any plus or minus when using discblades

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I wouldn't know; I never read the first CE.

21. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Did you read the second CE?

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Look at the vibro-swords blades, the speed lines around them gives a feeling of vibration unlike just giving a blade glowing aura
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Third. That's all. I may have flipped through the first two when I was younger, but my library doesn't have them anymore and I don't feel like spending money on something with average art.

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    With the nightsister, I would go with force-imbued weapon, as they use the force in the form of a green mist anyway.

She may have even made another one for her employer, explaining his weapon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.