main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    The Waffle House effect is holding strong as the Braves won their 13th straight game and swept the Nationals with a 6-3 win! They now have a 15 1/2 game lead in the NL East :D

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    59 - 40

3 - 12

The first line is the Cleveland Indians record against every MLB team not named The Detroit Tigers.

The second line is their record against Detroit.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    4 games up on the Cards, the Pirates magical season continues. Last night another come back win with a walk off single by Russell Martin(my favorite off season signing by the team) and they swept the series against the Marlins. The Pirates are 14-7 since the All Star break and still have the best record in baseball. I will take it while it lasts. The Cards and Pirates still play 9 more games this season so it should be a pretty interesting end to the season. Though of course I am hoping and praying that the Cardinals continue to collapse into oblivion.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    DarthTunick

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Texas picks up Alex Rios from the Sox to fill the Nelson Cruz spot. Nicely done.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The GM of the sox is an idiot. There were far better trades out there for Rios. He had to settle for a salary dump instead.

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    They're probably better off with a salary dump than whatever was offered in July. Even if the Sox paid his whole salary, Rios isn't exactly worth anything resembling a top prospects. And I can't imagine teams were willing to give up any more than the Rangers did and take on his salary.

Amazing.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

[​IMG]

I look at that poster every now & then, and ponder what could have been. At least he didn't leave town under Piazza circumstances, so he's free from being despised. All that being said, I do very much like & respect the Bums current #1 catcher, A.J. Ellis.

Thanks in part to the Bums taking 3 out of 4 in St. Louis this week, capping off their excellent 7-1 road trip. :D

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    You know what's annoying? I understand homer-ism from announcers, I rather expect it to some degree. But you're still calling a baseball game. Try to make it exciting . I've now watched Indians games each of the last two nights on the MLB Network, they got rocked last night and are well on their way tonight, giving up 5 in the first. Last night a 6-run third inning was called with all the enthusiasm of a ground out, tonight a Josh Hamilton 3-run homer might as well have been a pop out. It is possible to throw a little inflection in your voice when the other team does well. It's a game, it's not a funeral dirge.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    B, I'd imagine you're no fan of Hawk Harrelson, then. For many reasons.

When the ChiSox lose on walk off, he literally signs off, won't talk. Amusing but childish.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Why are the Yankees wearing those alternate caps? Since when do they do stuff like that?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's possible there's a special event/day at the stadium. They wore the camo-caps a little while ago for Military Veteran Appreciation Day or similar.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've (quickly) searched the internets & found nothing, and Michael Kay has yet to say anything about it on the YES broadcast... things like this drive me bonkers.

:p

14. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Special hard hats in case they throw stuff at A-Rod?

yankee8255 likes this.
  15. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    It's funny, I almost put him in my post as a disclaimer, if only because he's so over-the-top ridiculous. He's at least all-in. But I can only stand listening to him for an inning or two, beyond that it gets to be too much.

Amazing.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Yoda_S

Jul 11, 1999
    The Braves shutout the Marlins 5-0 taking the winning streak to 14 games!!

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's almost apropos that ESPN used the Yankees game featuring A-Rod to hearld the return of Keith Olbermann.

18. Jedi_Tyler

Jedi_Tyler Jedi Master star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    Amazing comeback by the Dodgers! Down by 6 in the 7th and they came back to win in the 9th!!!=D=

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Although this was only my 2nd missed Dodger game since the All Star break, I still checked relentlessly the progress of the game via my phone, despite being in attendance at an independent wrestling show (had a great time there, though. :D). 6-0 Tampa Bay after 5, with David Price (the Rays making their Dodger Stadium debut last night) dealing, it was easy to assume that it simply wasn't the Bums night... more time passes, more checking on my phone, and I see the score gets to 6-3 after 8, to which I'm thinking "Haaaaaa, they're making it interesting! Maybe the can comeback to win the game?". Well, just as intermission was ending at the wrestling show, I once again go to my phone, and for the next 5 minutes, I was beside myself in joy & amazement... 4 runs scored in the 9th, the Dodgers pull out a crazy comeback win! Wow. It's just about impossible for me at this point to describe how insanely great/special/joyous this run (since June 22nd) has been for the Dodgers. Maybe, just maybe this can be a special season after all.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Yoda_S

Jul 11, 1999
    According to an article on the SI website the special hat was part of a cancer fighting partnership with New Era and the David C. Koch Foundation. The hat is mentioned towards the bottom.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, he's still out of a job and apparently Pujols is planning to sue him for defamation.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  25. Jedi_Tyler

Jedi_Tyler Jedi Master star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    Should we believe Pujols (and Verlander) and his denials, or are we destined to see another superstar wave his hands and point fingers and then fall from grace like all the rest?