main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If introducing someone new to SW. Which trilogy would you have them watch first?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jcuk, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I agree that it's a very interesting possibility!

I guess the problem with it is that the fact that Anakin is going to become Vader will be very apparent: Obi-Wan says that Vader was his apprentice who killed Luke Skywalker's father. Once episode 1 begins the audience knows that Anakin will end up dead... but once episode II begins and we see that there is no other apprentice and how Anakin is changing.. I'm afraid that both Anakin's turn in episode III and the revelation of episode V will be ruined.

2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i just think its easy if you can count 1-6....... the only way for me now

3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    In the chronological order that Lucas intended for all five films: II - III - IV - V - VI

4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You mean I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX? Cause if Lucas intended fans to watch them 1-6, then why is he making the ST??? [face_thinking]

5. atouchofanarchy

atouchofanarchy Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2011
    Personally I'd Just go with Four, Five, Six, One, Two, Three. That's how I always watch them. It's going to be really confusing when the Sequel's come out and I end up watching it: Four, Five, Six, One, Two, Three, Seven, Eight, Nine. xD

Darth Dnej likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I like OOT, PT, SE OT.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  7. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    Like you, I always do a play through of Ocarina of Time before I watch the six movies in sequence.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Sarge like this.
  8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I have introduced the films in episode order to people and they work brilliantly that way, so I will continue doing that.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You have learned much, my young padawan.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Or start watching in this order, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 :p

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Dude, that is just so linear. Unlearn what you have learned. ;)

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Linear it is, the proper way to watch the saga ;)

13. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I think the Sequel Trilogy just makes this question more confusing.

I mean, on the one hand, it makes sense to go in chronological order. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9. No weird jumping from Luke to Anakin, back to Luke again.

On the other hand, that order means going from 90s/00s films, to 70s/80s films, to 10s/20s films. Talk about a tonal shift.

But hey, maybe when we see the ST, it'll be obvious which order we should watch things in. ;)

kainee and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The good one. Otherwise they won't bother continue watching.

What's the good one? Did you even had to ask?

vinsanity likes this.
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd introduce them to the old school, classic Star Wars trilogy. The real Star Wars, the one that defined a generation and never left our hearts.

I am of course referring to the epic Ewok trilogy, comprised of Return of the Jedi, Caravan of Courage, and The Battle for Endor.

16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Depends. Now that the sequel trilogy's being released, it's a little different. But if I were to show it to someone tonight, I'd go by the order of which they were released.

17. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    Gee, I hope the Sequel Trilogy has a half robot Gorax and a respirator. And a rematch between him and Wicket, where Wicket becomes more powerful than we can possibly imagine.

darth ladnar likes this.
  18. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    should it be 1-2-(clonewars)-3-(Rebels?)4-5-6-7-8-9? or should clonewars, Rebels or any other spin offs be views in their chronological place or very seperate from the episodes

19. harrycarrybigfoot

harrycarrybigfoot Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2013
    The OT, because it really is the best introduction to the Star Wars universe.

20. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think Catherine makes some great points, and I totally agree with it for viewers who are unfamiliar with SW, so for those unfamiliar with SW, I would suggest 4-6, 1-3, then the end of 6 again starting with the Imperial shuttle ride to Endor. I think the Vader redemption storyline is more resonant after watching his downfall in the PT, so I think this part is enriched by watching the PT and then re-watching ROTJ's end again. I know the ending felt more meaningful to me after seeing the PT. (Someone else suggested 4-5, then 6 up the rescue of Han, then 1-3, then the rest of 6, which I think is a neat idea.)

I think for people who are familiar with the Saga and have learned about the big twists from the OT through popular culture, then it's probably more appropriate to show them in a 1 through 6 order. They've already had the twists spoiled for them, since the overarching story is Vader's downfall and his later redemption by Luke. (Of course, you have to gauge a person for his tolerance of Jar-Jar and very bad romance in ATOC.)

kainee likes this.
  21. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    But there's a problem with this! Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor were set before Return of the Jedi. So, should we watch them chronologically -- CoC, then TBfE, then RTOJ -- or in the order they were made RTOJ, Coc, and finally TBfE!?

Help!

Any suggestions!?!?

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  22. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Definitely release order, and don't forget the Ewoks cartoon.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Last time I showed a friend Star Wars for the first time, I did it using IV, V, VI, I and II. This was in 2003 so no RotS, but he went with when I saw it in theaters for a second time.

I think the OT should come first. I believe in release order but I am very intrigued by "flashback order" (IV, V, I, II, III, VI) and I will use the latter if I ever get to show the films to another SW virgin.

Darth Dnej and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I find such arguments to be bizarre. We've reviewed the experiences of individuals who were first introduced to the saga in episode order several times on this board already, and *none* of those people were in the least but confused about what Jedi are, what the Force is, and so on. None. The PT's plot twists--Anakin turns evil, the Jedi get killed, the Republic becomes an Empire--furthermore seem much more subversive then the OT's plot twist to those members of the audience. Yet you guys ignore the actual experiences of those people, instead basing yourselves on what you imagine...that really says more about yourselves than about these movies.

25. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Thank you. If you would, please give me the link to this comprehensive study that reviews the viewing experience of everyone here that was apparently conducted on these forums when I wasn't looking that proves that watching the films in a 1 through 6 order ruins absolutely none of the joy one gains in learning about the Force the first time from Obi-Wan and Yoda or none of the surprise in the reveal of Vader as Luke's father for exactly 0.0% of all viewers. I also appreciate your psychological analysis of me derived from the previous 7-sentence post that I made. I'm sure that those 7 sentences do "say a great deal about myself," and I am impressed by your ability to figure out the core of my being from as little as a 7 sentence post.

Darth_Pevra and Carbon1985 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.