main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read all the Stackpole ones up to Malicious Intent, Heir to the Dragon, and one or two other, less important ones to the main plot.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ISBNs? What is this, required summer reading?

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's called "cut and paste" -- if I were an archaeologist or something, I might consider providing more complete historical information than the ISBNs, but there ya go... :p

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Hmmm... some good ones. Some I like because of historical context, especially as discussing how they may fail the "smell" test these days (I'll give a discrete example below) and some are just good quotes.

So, one of the examples I love of what I've described is:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

What I like about it is it's a part of the vision that founded this country, reflecting the goodness that can be attributed to the goals of America. And, while I generally believe in the sentiment behind the statement, in this day and age it's a harder thing to rationalize. As someone else points out "Franklin didn't have to deal with suitcase nukes..." which is also a valid sentiment. But I tend to view this as a "guiding principle" that we should strive to follow, where possible, and not as an essential truth that we should follow blindly.

Another one I'm fond of pointing out is:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States

I'm a New Yorker, plus Jewish -- so I tend to fall on the Democrat scale of things. I generally consider myself more Conservative in nature though, which to a NY Jew is two steps to the left of center rather than twelve steps to the left of center. So it really bothers me when many, many of my friends and relatives -- all very fine supporters of the Bill of Rights all conveniently forget that this is enumerated, specifically, in there. You can't be in favor of the protections of the First, Fourth, Fifth and Eighth Amendments and be wholly against the Second Amendment. I'm personally a fan of logical gun control, but I consider people who say "guns should be banned" akin to people saying "9/11 was an inside job."

Moving on to just really good quotes...

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son." - Jor-El

Goosebumps!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour, you're going to see some serious [poop]." -- Dr. Emmett Brown

Edited for language, of course, but that one line basically upped the cool potential of the whole movie -- and it delivered.

"So we'll argue and we'll compromise
    And realize that nothing's ever changed" -- Billy Joel

As true now as when first sung in 1976.

I could go on much more, but I'll relate what I feel is possibly my most favorite quote:

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."

I give someone two internets for identifying that quote without resorting to Google. It's just such a good quote in general.

Usual answers: Washington, Lincoln, Kennedy.

On a personally-moral level, I admire Harry Truman -- who apparently was a anti-Semite -- for acknowledging the state of Israel on its formation. For good or for ill, he did what he felt was right for the good of the country even if against his own personal

belief system. Similarly, Arlen Specter -- who was very personally opposed to abortion -- would generally vote for pro-abortion legislation because his constituents in Pennsylvania would have wanted it; it didn't happen immediately or all the time, but as the base in Pennsylvania changed their mind, he changed their mind along with them -- rare in a politician.

I also have a soft spot for Ronald Reagan -- his policies and theories were at times either dangerous or horrifying, but he was the right man in the right place at the right time for the Cold War realpolitik he had to deal with, in my opinion. As the Vulcans might say "Only Nixon could go to China."

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I forgot two quotes:

"I'm not bad... I'm just drawn that way." -- Jessica Rabbit

The ultimate in "don't judge a book by its cover" though, to be fair, I also use "I hit him on the head with a frying pan... so he wouldn't get hurt!" a lot as well.

A paraphrase, I believe...

"Nobody says that about you... that you know of." -- Ty Webb

One of the more underrated comedy lines out of Caddyshack in a film that includes "'... but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." and "Be the ball, Danny!" But it's this line that I love; a sarcastic, cheap shot delivered perfectly between two men that wanted to kill each other in real life. Can't beat that!

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    18. What's your favorite food? What are your favorite alcoholic drinks?

19. What's the scariest thing that's ever happened to you/that you've witnessed?

20. Conversely what's the funniest thing that's ever happened to you/that you've witnessed?

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Apologies for the delays... I've worked 47 hours this weekend (12h Friday, 21h Sat/Sun, 14h yesterday) so will try and get to this after my Global Entry interview later today... :p

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol is everybody interviewing for that these days? You're like the fourth person who's mentioned it inside two weeks.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The travel program? Or is this something else?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah the airport pre clearance thing. I've considered applying to it but I only travel abroad two or three times a year, so it's not enough that I'm too bothered about it. If they offered a similar domestic program though ...

Supposedly having a clearance already expedites the process to get approved but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

There's a new TSA PreCheck program which is, I suspect, your domestic version (no 3-1-1 checks, no laptop checks, shoes on, no belt off, etc.) but currently they are doing invite-only, I believe.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    PS - GrandAdmiralJello -- suck it again for my TSA PreCheck!

For food, it's definitely Chinese. I can generally eat it breakfast, lunch and dinner. I particularly enjoy dim sum (more Shanghai style than not), but also like main dishes, I also generally prefer spicy (though this gets me in trouble sometimes and I personally relive the Terrance and Philip movie from South Park: The Movie).

In terms of drinks, I like a lot of different things at different times. However, if you had to pin me down, I'd say it's a dry vodka martini with as many olives as would fit in the glass (or, with imperial_dork then it'd be a dirty martini with horseradish infused vodka). I'm quite good at making those too (without the infused vodka), but I'd actually say my best drink is a White Russian (mavjade, AaylaSecurOWNED and Miana Kenobi).

I also really appreciate certain beers (Sam Smith Organic Chocolate Stout, proper Guinness, St. Peter's Cream Stout, La Fin du Monde) and my favorite wines are German Rieslings (though oddly not Austrian ones). Ye, I'm a snob -- no, I'm not Jello.

I still have the towers falling live on my TiVo. I can't bring myself to delete it.

This is a tough one, but I guess I shall simply regale the story of why I love Broadway. When I was somewhere between 5 - 6 years of age, I was taken to the first Broadway show that I can recall -- the revival of The Pirates of Penzance with Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt, Rex Smith, et al. For those familiar with the normal story / book -- but not necessarily the revival (though presumably most high school / college productions these days are based on said Papp production) -- it's a more humorous and/or action-packed take. So at that age, I was already at a point where those two things would interest me and I recall enjoying the show.

However, by the time it got near the ending sequences with the police and the pirates and everyone running and chasing and singing and comedy... I lost it. I laughed and laughed and laughed. I laughed so hard I made an actor playing a pirate on stage crack up laughing.

From then on, I decided that Broadway was for me.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    And that's the end of the interview! The floor is now open for anyone to ask dp4m questions. In a day or so we'll continue with me, Point Given! (Todd the Jedi will be interviewing me)

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    DP do you act? Like, on stage? (Cosplaying with your buddies doesn't count)

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Might want to warn him he's up again, first. :p

Point Given and CooperTFN like this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Havac, how do you feel about switching bodies with dp4m?

Point Given likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I have been told that I am funny ("I amuse you? I make you laugh?") but I think I'd be horrible at stand-up comedy or anything. I'm more of a "backstage guy" -- which is not to say I'm shy, as you know I'm not -- but I always more liked building and painting sets than acting on them.

So the last time I've been on stage was as Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors in high school; I was the puppeteer though, not a singing voice (trust me, that's for the best).

I sing to my World of Warcraft guild when we raid as a penalty.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I can fully attest to the fact that he makes a damn good White Russian.

Fun fact: after you left, we discovered 2 more giant bottles of Kahlua in our barely-used alcohol cabinet, plus 5 other bottles of random vodkas that all had about 2-3 inches of vodka left in them.

So of course roommates and I did the only logical thing and attempted to get rid of the rest of the vodka. None came close to tasting as good as when you make them. :(

mavjade likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

In Anaheim. I should be able to not have to Designated Driver too... ;)

20. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    How did you get away with such a rude username, especially for a Mod, when you should be setting an example?

dp 4 Mara? C'mon man, we can all read between the lines...

I mean, for God sake, stick with continuity. Mara was a one man woman, and she was quite monogamous.

Point Given likes this.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    How many male JCers have you kissed in the mouth? :(

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

First of all, under no circumstances do I buy the horrible retcon that Mara and Lando weren't a thing. That was just a bridge too far, in my opinion. Luke's gotten nookie in hyperspace with a Fallanassi, I think he'd survive her drinking a little Colt 45.

Second, though her primary function was as a Hand, Thrawn's descriptions of her dressed up at parties as a concubine essentially doesn't leave me with the warm and fuzzy view that Palpatine just let that go...

2 for sure, possibly as high as 4 (because I can't recall).

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Okay, I still feel special, then.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's like a dp4m / JTS / Dingo happy time in the mouth...

mavjade likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This is why I don't go to cons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.