main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    No way am I looking through 500+ pages of awesome, so...

Does anyone know what McDiarmid thought of the late Ian Abercrombie's performance of Palpatine/Sidious from The Clone Wars?

2. Ewan

Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 4, 1999
    I am praying for a film version of the Darth Plagueis novel , with a younger actor who could play Palpatine at both 17 years and 28 years of age, and with Ian McDiarmid himself reprising the role of Palpatine at 50 years of age. Hold one heck of a public casting call to play the young Palpatine.

Darth Plagueis himself would also be a fascinating character on the big screen, realized with the latest CG, and a talented voice actor.

3. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    It is too early for anything to be substantiated of course, so I am not considering it a spoiler.... more likely wishful thinking.... but there is a growing chance that IAN will return in some form or another to either the sequels or the spinoffs. It can only be because we willed it to be so.

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I could be down for him in some spinoffs, not a fan of the idea of him in sequels.

5. Darthsith500

Darthsith500 Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2013
    IMO Ian was the best actor(and played the best performance in his respective role) of any of the actors in the whole saga. I absolutely loved him.

6. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Same here. Although Palps is my second favorite character (second only to Obi-Wan) in SW it just would be pointless if he was somehow resurrected in the ST. A vision or holocron type appearance would be okay, but, not a flat out resurrection. The last thing I want the ST to turn into would be something similar to the Dark Empire series.

Palps appearing in a spinoff film would be totally awesome though.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

I agree. I've always wanted a Palpatine book, perhaps right after the events of TPM or even right after ROTS. But a movie would be even better- it would just be terribly sad if they made an iconic character played by a brilliant character a gimmick in a new story line. Here's looking at you, clone/reborn Emperor..

8. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Ian is the MAN!!! My favorite actor in all of Star Wars! All hail the Emperor!

Son of a Bith likes this.
  9. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    For all of you who really enjoy Darth Sidious/Emperor/ Palpatine, you have to watch this video and be blown back by his machinations and rise to power. The video is beautifully done: See for yourself!!!

You FIGSters are required to watch this!

10. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ian is utterly fantastic in ROTS. Especially in the Yoda Vs. Sidious duel.

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I saw Ian McDiarmid in a play in Stratford Upon Avon a while back - he was playing Galileo.

It was one of the most brilliant performances I've ever seen on stage, and he even threw in a couple of subtle Star Wars references.

He truly is a great actor. But he does have a surprisingly hairy back.

Cryogenic and darthfettus2015 like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Read Darth Plagueis! Palpatine and Plagueis are basically co-main characters, despite the book's title.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I have. I'd like to see something focused on right after he became chancellor, or right after the formation of the Empire. These eras have been approached in comics, but little else.

14. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I miss you, FIGS.... I cannot wait till IAN RISES AGAIN in Episode VII.....

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Merry FIGSmas Everybody!

FIGS: IMORTAL... Like Jolly Elves

16. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    My old, dear thread. Wicked, twisted and evil.

Riiiise.

FIGS: Still watching, with great interest.

17. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    *emerges from a secret doorway, coughing and spluttering from the dust*

Well, that's nice. Six years stuck in the Holy Halls and no-one even thought to check on me? You'd almost think people hoped I would die down there. It took me a month alone to get the door open, which I now notice was because of this large plinth moved conveniently in front of it. Hmm.

By the way, Palpigeon is now as big as a barn and quite mad. I barely got out alive. I'm so proud, bless him.

Look at all the dust here! The place reeks of inactivity and lack of proper Ian-worship. You'll be telling me next Ariadne is still the High Priestess and no-one has bothered to shift that slimy Nemoidian off the throne yet. Ah...although I notice the Christmas Candle of Evil is lit. Perhaps I was too harsh on ol' LottDodd, I almost regret trying to strangle him.

*flash of force lightning* We need to get some energy in the old place! Get a recruitment drive going, get some competition for place, open up the books! At least get some suitable nasty-looking Sith balloons up?

18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
  19. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Ahhh, excellent work, rdhight. A novelty balloon truly worthy of the God.

Your slighty unpronouncable name will ring through the halls of our humble temple. Temple, right? Or have you guys changed it? Was it a ziggurat? Did my statue ever get finished or was it shut behind a sealed door, hmm?

I have been gone long. It is time for me to pour over the sacred FIGS texts and find out what has been happening in my absence...

*burst of force lightning* All hail Ian! All praise to Him!

FIGS: Read a book!

20. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    *a lone candle flickers in one of the ruined, silent libraries. A cloaked figure sits hunched over a tome of FIGS history, his hand moving the pages, absorbing and analysing. He takes it all in, with nothing to sustain him bar a big glass of orangeade and a Twix. With a thump he closes the book, the knowledge of the last eight years of FIGS settling into his mind. A sad tale, a fall from the golden years despite the best of bad intentions. Where did they go wrong? Their faith in the Almighty Ian never faltered. The answers must come from knowing all, and so he reaches up for a considerably larger tome.

It is time to look back further, to those golden years. To refresh his mind on events and look for more clues. He will not stop in this task, for FIGS itself is at sake. He will not stop. His Twix is finished, so he goes and gets another one. Apart from things like that, he will not stop. He reads, and munches, on...*

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't wait to see if he is in the ST in any way.

DamonD likes this.
  22. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    *looks up from his studies*

Ah - the ST? That's what they're calling it now? For Sequel Trilogy? I like it. I've been really out of the loop for a while, so excuse me. Fits in elegantly with the PT and OT, nice.

I keep myself as spoiler-free as possible, I've found I always enjoy things more that way, but any sign or statement of The Almighty Ian being in the ST would definitely be awesome.
    A Sith Holocron, a holorecording, a flashback, hell I'll take a wavy-lined dream sequence. If there's a will, there's a way!

Welcome to what's left of the FIGS Temple, Force Smuggler. It warms my blackened heart to see someone visit this old ruin again. Things are...not what they were here. A major cleaning-up operation is needed, but I have plans. As a former Spiritual Leader of this place, the lessons of my rampant abuse of power and civil war benevolent rule should stand me in good stead.

I must attend to some vital research first, but please feel free to stay. Oh, but I'd stay away from the Holy Halls if I were you - there's a giant Sith pigeon down there and he's a bit feral.

*goes back to his book*

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Palpatine is the best thing about the PT, in particular his performance in ROTS, very menacing indeed. It will be interesting to see if he makes an appearance in the ST and if the film features the Sith at all.

DamonD likes this.
  24. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Got to think there's a good chance of the latter, really would love the former!

25. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Mods - I'm sorry to post again right away, but I'd like to move this thread onto a new page for my next post as it's aiming to hopefully be a bit of a relaunch for this place.