main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Matthew Woodring Stover Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Oops, sorry. Too good a joke to pass.

Thanks for the info, but this would be the last status quo I was aware of, too. The new information opens a few questions for me. It might just be that they have to pay royalties and therefore will never get rich on the project but continue anyway. It might also be that they can release the work that's been funded through Kickstarter (the first issue you already have) "since no one is profiting" and after that there's nothing - Matt has other work, so no need to put money and work into fighting for the comic book stuff.To me that reads as if Matt won't be working on the comic. All this "hell, we can release it now" and "Matt is doing well with SW" gives me the impression of a bookend as well. But then again, I'll admit that there's a lot of interpretation going on on my part.

2. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I was kinda under the same impression, sadly. But if it comes down to Matt writing more novels and a very slow to develop overworld comic, i'll take the novels.

Still no word from either Star Wars books FB or Matt on any of this.

3. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Yeah, I just hope he'll be around, writing stuff that I'll be able to read and being happy with what it is he's doing. I shouldn't tell anyone, but I'm not even through the Caine books since I kept those like good wine bottles (and then there's all the mandatory reading for the wonderful 181st Discussion Group (shameless plug)). So I'm not sure when the comic book would really have made sense for me - obviously it wouldn't need you to read the novels first, but still, I'd think I'd prefer a chronological take regarding production time. And the colouring test wasn't what I prefer in a comic, to be brutally honest. But since I didn't support the thing financially (thus not earning a digital copy), I guess I should just shamefully stand in the corner when it comes to this project.

Was it good, though?

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The FB people seem pretty good at responding to questions when there's something they can say, so I'm inclined to take the silence on IC2 as a pretty good sign.

5. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    Thats what I was thinking. And Matt is generally the same way.

6. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Just want to say thanks to you Mr. Stover for all the great works you've done.

7. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    Matt responded to a facebook post (When will we get another Stover book?) saying that he was concurrently working on like five projects, including his long awaited gritty crime novel.

From what I gather, he works on one until he gets to a road block, then moves onto the next. So, we should expect five stover novels in like six years or so :D

8. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    That's good news and a likely prediction. Although any franchise work might come with a deadline attached, so that would probably come sooner or not at all anyway.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    EDIT: It won't let me undo my weird quote failure. So it will stand for all time.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Now
    Now your failure is complete.

DarthBoba likes this.
  11. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    Actually, he said he didn't know if he was going to publish it under another name. Its too far out to tell.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So...

Do we still think Stover is writing the sequel to Imperial Commando?

...or could he in fact be doing something about Episode 7?

13. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Well, that end of the timeline is safe for now. They'll probably squeeze it in before the contract ends, or maybe it wasn't meant to be if it took too long anyway.

Might he be involved in the ST novels? If Lucas really enjoyed working with him, I wouldn't rule it out. And if DR is still around, remembering that everyone was crazy about the ROTS novel.

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    MWS is not currently working on any ST stuff, because he's trying to get people to petition Disney to get him involved lol

15. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    He should be involved. My favorite SW novelist by far.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Waiting patiently for whatever Stover writes next

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Waiting impatiently for whatever Stover writes next.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    and by me waiting patiently, I mean impatiently.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was gonna say you were a better bloke than I, :p

Zeta1127 and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you but I still am pretty patient since we don't have a summary/synopsis of the new book yet. Get the back cover or a announcement of what the book will be about and I will really be wanting the book to come out ASAP

21. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to see Stover write a trilogy to wrap up the current Big 3 era in the EU.

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  23. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    ...oh wow. The name, the appearance, the interplanetary warrior aspect.... I wouldn't be surprised to learn that one or the other, or both, of the Wachowskis has read Heroes Die, or at the very least glimpsed at the old cover.

Alas....

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    We do need something that wraps up the Lost Tribe, Ben and Vestara, Allana and the Throne of Balance, Abeloth, the Dagger of Mortis, why Krayt wasn't taken down then, another Jacen retcon, another Vergere retcon, Jag as Emperor, the Imperial Knights, Daala and whatever else I am forgetting.

25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Jacen retcon well is dry. One more post hoc rationalization will collapse the timeline into a void of utter irrationality that destroys any lingering integrity that hasn't yet been driven from it.

The only dangling plot thread that requires resolution is Jag as Emperor -- but then, so does Vader's captivity in TFU2 and that ain't happening. Daala can slink away into a hole like she did in Darksaber/Planet of Twilight, Abeloth is an epochal threat that could take millennia to reappear, the Lost Tribe can merge into the One Sith, etc.

mes520 likes this.