main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What Do You Think Of Padme Giving Birth to Luke & Leia Scene?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 19, 2013.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    This scene is one of the many flaws with the PT. The need to connect the dots that don't need to be connected. I didn't need to see Padme give birth. Let her live and have her final line of dialogue be to Obi-Wan:

"I'm pregnant."

Circle Fade to Written & Directed by The Bearded One.

2. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    This Padme speech is one of the many reasons I don't think it makes sense for Padme to lose the will to live. If she doesn't have the will to live, why bother planning ahead 20 years?

She blames herself for Anakin's turn and the formation of the empire. She believed she had the power to influence/prevent the entire situation at some point, but lost control of everything somewhere along the road. She's even the voice of reason to Bail Organa, telling him to survive quietly in the empire as a secret rebel. She is not recommending that course of action for herself because she didn't want to go down quietly, and was going to confront Anakin directly. She was trying to do the exact opposite of her advice, and openly confront Anakin, she wasn't going to be a 'good little senator' because no one would ever buy the act. If she fails her mission, one way or another she would be targeted for death.

TX-20 and Darth_Laudrup like this.
  3. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    As VanishingReality says it does not make sense for Padme to lose the will to live. Also a problem with the scene is that it is hard for me to get engaged in her feelings. It is over very fast and it just seems very Meh to me. But I guess it comes down to Lucas' style of directing. To me Lucas has always been a wonderful storyteller, but when it comes to directing emotions not so much.

To me the only thing the birth scene did, was clear up that Luke is first born of the two twins.
    I guess Leia's connection with her mother must have come from the time she was in her mother's womb.

VanishingReality likes this.
  4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, indeed. In fact, it's almost beyond dot connecting. It's more like creating unnecessary new dots that don't connect to anything.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    It's not that she shouldn't have already had names picked out. It seems forced because the scene was poorly written and poorly acted.

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    When they landed on Polis Massa and carried her down the ramp....

I would have been satisfied if THAT was the last time we saw Padme.

Jabari and DarthDuckie like this.
  7. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013
    honestly I thought the scene was terrible. And the whole "losing the will to live" and dying is really stupid. Yes it does actually happen. Believe it or not. But the woman just gave birth to two children. Way to go mom-of-the-year. Oh yah Leia...your mother was "kind but...sad"...so "kind" that she didn't care enough about the two children she just popped out to take care of them. Sounds like trailer park stuff right there.

The scene wouldn't even have had to be changed if someone just told Lucas "that's dumb"..just have the robot say she died of her injuries, emotional state, and stress from child birth. That would at least been believable and not made her look like the worst mom ever....and would have Palpatine telling Vader he killed her actually be true and have more weight to it.

But then again we're also talking about someone we're supposed to sympathize with and believe is "redeemed" after killing children....which is just as bad.

Yanksfan likes this.
  8. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    That reminds me of Lost Command, claiming Darth Vader wanted to named his son Jinn, which I don't buy for a second. Anakin thought that he was having a girl, but I also think he gave some input into the names. Padme didn't just come up with them on the spot.

Also I agree with Sur-gon. Even if Vader did not commit a triple homicide on Mustafar (Not for lack of trying), he's still responsible for many things, including force-choking Padme (which is usually a fatal attack), and before that younglings, Jedi, Mace Windu, the separatists that wanted peace, etc etc. All this adds to his character, but making it vague doesn't. It only detracts from Padme because it weirdly implies she's suicidal.

9. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think you pulled the wrong quote tag. I didnt say that....

Just sayin' :cool:

10. Solid Sam

Solid Sam Jedi Knight

Jul 27, 2013
    It felt rushed and contrived. I rolled my eyes at the broken heart excuse.

I think that placing it towards the very end of the prequel trilogy was a mistake. I think it should have occurred by the time of the second film (along with other restructuring of the whole trilogy). I also think it was a mistake to have Padmé die immediately after childbirth, I would have placed that event at a time closer to a year or so later.

11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    *HEADDESK* Some people.

12. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    It was an awful scene. One of many.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Cynicalx

Cynicalx Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2013

Lucas logic that's why.

14. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I hated it. Half because I just hate birth scenes in movies in the first place, and secondly because of the whole "lose the will to live" bit. Clearly the woman was just choked within an inch of her life, and there are several logical medical reasons for her to die at that point in time.

Much as I would have liked Padme and Leia to be able to take refuge for a couple of years with the Organas on Alderaan, the prequels made it impossible for her to do so. As a senator and former queen, she's too famous to simply "disappear", and for the childrens' safety it had to be publicly known that she was dead (hence the public funeral). Otherwise, Palpatine and Vader would be suspicious, and certainly the population of Naboo, if not most of the galaxy, would be on the lookout for a missing senator. And considering her friendship with Bail Organa, he would have been under suspicion. Thus making Alderaan the worst place in the galaxy to hide either of them.

If you were going to have Padme and Leia on the run together, the movies should have been set up so that Padme left Anakin before he knew for sure that she was pregnant. Otherwise, you'd think someone as possessive as Anakin would have tried harder to hunt down his child(ren).

As to Leia's memories of her mother...uh...the Force. Luke after all seems to have unknowingly remembered his mother's last words. Shatterpoint has Mace Windu remembering his selection by Yoda as a baby. So, I can live with that.

Yanksfan likes this.
  15. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I love the positioning of Bail when she is giving birth. He has a great view. lol

16. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I really don't like this scene. It's TOO CG enhanced for something that should be really, well... quite real and toned down.

However, Padme just knocks them both out too quick and easy for me (although Portman does a good scream), and it's just too clean and easy for me. I know it's not a medical drama, but still, she does die after the birth so it could have been a bit more dramatic or emotive rather than just:

BANG. My twins are born. Ok, I'm tired...dying, but just act tired....dead.

That, and the speed in which Luke and Leia are named. I know there's no REAL motive to name any child, but sometimes people or events lend a hand. The speed in which Padme does this is too fast, too sudden and too much like they've remembered these children are actually Luke and Leia from the CT and so better name drop them quick. If Anakin and Padme had some earlier conversation about names, or SOMETHING just to prepare for their arrival, it would have been nice, but it just smells of last-minute name dropping them into the story without a real development between parents. Granted, they didn't know it was twins, but something maybe they like the name Luke for a boy, and Leia for a girl...I don't know, just so it feels something that mattered to them.

*rant over*

:)