main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

No, I'm not telling you that the primary concern of Disney is Star Wars a few weeks after it opens at all.

But they didn't just buy it for opening weekend, they bought it for other cash revenue aside from the films. Cash revenue off Star Wars from their own merchandising arms that they own.

Sure, they will move Star Wars to their own book label but Disney already extended it's relationship with Hasbro. I'm saying that Disney didn't just buy it for opening weekend, they also bought it for the billions upon billions of merchandising (mostly toys) that it brings in. And also the opening weekend. However that isn't all of it. But thinking Disney will only put Star Wars at the forefront of everything it does to the detriment of their other Disney products is silly. They can sure as heck piggyback their brand onto Star Wars. When I say it's "All Disney's Star Wars and we're just waiting for it" it means that we're waiting for Disney to put out Star Wars, much like how Rebels is going to go on their own Disney channel. Stuff like that. And, as we've seen by cancelling Clone Wars, they're starting fresh with Star Wars animation coming out on their own channels and not on cartoon competitors on Cartoon Network. Same deal will happen with the books and they'll bounce the Del Rey / Bantam stuff probably wholesale so it can all be mouse-related profit. If they don't use the previously established post ROTJ-EU in Ep. 7, it means they don't have to deal with Del Rey & Bantam stuff, possibly taking away the potential for all Disney merchandising profit. If none of that stuff matters, more money for The Mouse with their stuff that does matter!

Darth_Pevra and jaqen like this.
  2. Angmar404

Angmar404 Jedi Padawan

Feb 4, 2013

Wookieepedia lists editions, not printings. On a book's copyright page there are a series of numbers at the bottom. The lowest number in that series is what printing that book is from. From my collection, Star Wars: Black Fleet Crisis: Shield of Lies is from the 19th printing (there are probably more then that since Amazon has a $7.99 list when mine was $6.99.) I also have a second printing of Star Wars: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth. Michael Stackpole said, in 2011, that he last got a notification of reprint for the X-Wing series in 2009.

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, shut my mouth, Bantam is still raking in Star Wars reprint cash, good for them! I'm sure Disney gets some too but they'd probably like it more if they were publishing under their own company. Which I'm guessing will be soon-ish.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This, by the way, is why I've come to disagree with claims that the EU "went too far" or was "presumptuous" in the choices it made for the NJO and afterward. There were a lot of problems with the decisions made for those series, but it's not fair to blame the authors and creative team for making disruptive decisions when there was no reason to believe that post-ROTJ movies would ever be made.

Pax Bandica, Giovs, JackG and 5 others like this.
  5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    That attitude, if they adopt it, may well kill the franchise longterm.

HWK-290 likes this.
  6. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    It's probably for the best if they end up rebooting.

aleja2 likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless Denning has a major role in the EU 2.0.

8. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    There was some previous discussion for a Star Wars multiverse around here a while back, which I feel would work, I'd jump on board for alternate realities and if you look deep enough into the EU, the concept actually has been established: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Waru. I also said that Star Wars comics should also do some sort of universe-changing crossover event which could reboot continuity if they wanted to. If any of you know comics, think stuff on the scale of "Crisis On Infinite Earths", "Infinite Crisis", "Age of Ultron" etc where other timelines/dimensions and realities are involved. That's something Dark Horse Comics should possibly look into, then that way we get some sort of closure. What do you all think?

What I don't want is an abrupt halt and disbanding of all current production of EU books/comics etc and are all immediately rejected and then we are all told that the past decade or so of post-ROTJ stories are all a giant hoax. That doesn't sit very well with me there were some decent material and some decent characters there and it shouldn't be discarded outright. If they end the stories of all the characters we know and love like Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker all the way to Ania Solo in the far future and maybe imply that EU 1.0's big 3 had their ending, it will all be good(for me at least) and then I'll feel ready and happy to move on to new versions of the Skywalker/Solo stories.

How does everyone else feel about this? I definately feel there ought to be a little closure before I say "thanks, show me a new story."

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I've been advocating a "Crisis on Infinite Infinities" time travel, parallel universe end with a reality-rewriting *fwooosh* and it's back to the "Yub yub" celebration at the end of ROTJ. And onto Episode 7! As it stands, the post ROTJ EU would end at "Crucible" which, yeah, Han, Leia & Luke say they're gonna retire but I'd say wrap the whole thing up, jump through all of the huge roster of Star Wars characters, then clean the slate for Ep. 7. So, therefore, everything that happened in the post ROTJ EU did once happen, then it didn't. But it did exist (and, hey, toss in a throwaway reference to "Yes, on a different time-stream this universe does also still exist"). So those stories are perfectly valid during the time they happened (also a meta-commentary that the post ROTJ EU was the ST for 2 decades until the actual ST happened)

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  10. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    There's still the Sword of the Jedi trilogy next year http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_of_the_Jedi_(trilogy) as well as issues of Star Wars: Legacy volume 2 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Legacy_(sequel) which still have stuff to be released. As I said earlier, Dark Horse Comics could quite easily end the Legacy comics with a reality changing event or some sort of hint that this is another timeline or something. But we'll probably find out next year.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Or just come up with a trilogy or something that wraps up everything in the book era and Legacy can somehow end everything in that time period. The best we can do is wrap up the plot points we have and then move on to what will come.

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Del Rey has a panel at NYCC in October, that's when we will probably get EU news.
    Also I follow Christie Golden's twitter feed, and I am a friend on her facebook page, she's doing a lot of fantasy work ,,
    and she's working on her own book, things she couldn't do, if she was working on Sword of the Jedi.
    As for Legacy, the contracts were signed before Licensing, knew about the sale. It will probably be retconned to fit, the ST

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Bet they wish that they didn't have Jag step down/throw the election in FOTJ now or maybe they don't care about things synching with Legacy. Just hope they have a more definite ending than Crucible.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Why would they adapt anything that's already happened in the first place?

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Who's this guy you're quoting? Dude doesn't even name a source. :p

Robimus, JackG and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Latino Review has unnamed sources. Y'know, like how Deep Throat had to give info to woodward and berstien and stuff!

he's saying that nothing in the script is from the books at all. so that would include characters who are created by the books. All depends if you believe him or not.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    This "scoop" has copy-pasted information from the Wookieepedia page on Force Ghost. Nice try, Latino Review.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

hahhhha, nice. Well, maybe the scooper needed Wookiepedia to back him up!

20. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    Doesn't mean anything though. He could have just used it to explain what a force ghost is for people who don't know.

21. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Did Sue Rostoni say anything of import on the recent Jedi Journals podcast?

22. Air4swan

Air4swan Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2013
    Alright, first post so bear with me. Also, I have read relatively few EU novels but that being said…
    Here's the deal: Star Wars Episode VII is obviously not a reboot, and so it leaves the existing continuity of Star Wars intact--although, there has been much debate as to how much. For the vast majority of the film's audience who will not be familiar with the events of the Expanded Universe, it makes no difference whether the existing post-Jedi chronology is respected. Either way, they're going to be dropped into a vibrant new environment that will be recognizable to them as the Galaxy Far Far Away without much else in the way of context, and the story will go from there. This fact can also be used in defense of the EU. This is Star Wars, so it’s not like Episode VII will take place in a vacuum. To help provide the inevitable necessary context, what better than to keep much of what has already been established as a simple frame of reference? It doesn't have to affect the overall narrative, but it at least provides a basis for the Universe at large and leaves plenty of room with which to play. It would help the writers, if anything.

Here’s how this would work. The current timeline cuts off at about 41 years after ROTJ with Crucible. Ben and Jaina are both recently married and will likely have children soon. Their children would be the perfect choices for lead characters in the next trilogy. If they were around 17 or 18, by Episode VII, that could put the ST around 60 years after the OT. That gives plenty of time for things to settle down in anticipation for whatever the ST's surrounding conflict is. The original cast would be in their 80s as background characters (not like they’d need much makeup >XP), and Ben and Jaina would perhaps be significant characters. But who knows? Maybe the new films won’t revolve around a descendant of Luke or Leia after all.

Whether or not you think this would serve as an adequate "blank slate" off of which to build a new film, it would be as good a premise as any. It might seem unlikely that a giant movie would bother adhering to the franchise's more esoteric elements, but like I said, the near-two decades (between Crucible and VII) would be more than enough time to build up a "general movie era" like the Prequel era or the Classic era. Abrams & Arndt could write an entirely original screenplay and simply consult with a few Lucasfilm gurus in order to ensure primary chronological integrity and perhaps throw in a little fanservice (homage to Thrawn or Mara Jade, for example) to those of us dedicated enough to have read the novels, and presto, you have a thrilling new adventure, with the (mostly) cohesive entity that is the Star Wars Universe left relatively intact. They could even do a Lost in 8 Minutes-esque recap of all the major events that have transpired since the OT to play in theaters directly before the movie as a loveletter to the fans, and also just to set up some broader context, beyond the usual narrow vagueness (hopefully) of the opening crawl.

werpudel likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    90 year old Han Solo with Skywalker and Solo grandkids? Not that likely, I think. Bit too many hoops to jump though for the filmmakers.

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK... we were all here once.

And then there's that. [face_plain]

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    This phrase should be on the banned list. :p

DarthBreezy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.