main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Empire comic trilogy - opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Feel like I could have gotten more into the story line if they weren't drawn with one of the pukiest color sets ever released from Crayolla!

VanishingReality and Gorefiend like this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Oh, you mean this?
    [​IMG]

Esg likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    and Luke's little speech or whatever it was. I was thinking of the early NJO before Anakin was killed and Jacen was character assassinated. To better days!

Gamiel likes this.
  4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    He also likes Jar Jar and thats equally as bad

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To better days.

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I've read the first Dark Empire a few times and enjoyed it(LOVE the audio drama), and I recently picked up the hardcover edition of the trilogy, finally reading part 2 and I am just bored to tears so far. Is the 3rd any better?

7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wrong

8. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Jar Jar isn't equally as bad. He's just a gungan. His contribution to the plot, even in TPM, was minimal.

Dark Empire ensured, among other things, they relegate the main female character to the sidelines, erase almost all of the main protagonist's previously established development by having a contrived alliance with the emperor, who they brought back from the dead using the cheapest plot device imaginable. That's like, a zillion Jar Jars.

9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Right

10. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Didn't Leia like save the day in DE?

DarthBoba, Zeta1127, RC-1991 and 5 others like this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Apparently not. It wasn't her hero's journey or anything.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Mumbo-jumbo rubbish, course she did.

VanishingReality and BoromirsFan like this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've said before and I'll say again, we need a sarcasm font!

VanishingReality likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Emoticons, my dear fellow, emoticons!

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Getting Sidelined
    >Breaking Luke's mind control and defeating the Emperor

Do we know what getting sidelined means?

VanishingReality likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Dark Empire 1 is great but the story really, really wraps up nice and neat. Dark Empire 2 is definitely a let down, kinda just dire overall but you get to see more of that nifty art (and if you're into Young Crazy Clone Palpy, there's a lot of that). The art in Empire's End kind of hobbles it but it's a more engaging read than Dark Empire 2. Still, if anyone just read Dark Empire and ignored part 2 & Empire's End, you'd get the best stuff. The back half is more for completists.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Empire works best as a stand alone. Still need to finish EE but from what I know of it, it is not as good an ending like DE. DE2 and EE are both good but don't work as continuations of DE 1. Maybe the fact Palpatine survives?

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How can you not finish EE? It's less than 48 pages! Bad pages I'll grant you but still a quick read!

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Read it at Barnes and Noble and read DE 1 and 2 before that. Had to go before I could finish EE.

20. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I think the PT makes one appreciate Dark Empire more. It really falls in line with Palpatine and the Sith's schemes to search for eternal life, and I don't think this was explicitly stated in the OT.

Jedi Ben, BigAl6ft6 and Esg like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And that's why I don't hate Dark Empire. That whole search for eternal life and the fact that it is Palpatine. I'm not surprised one bit he came back. He isn't the biggest villain in Star Wars for nothing.

22. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Some minor character's appearances or looks irritate me though. It just breaks my disbelief and makes me think "yeah, this is from the 90's"

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Underworld: The Yavin Vasillika. Enough said.

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    I find the premise more interesting than the execution, really. Skywalker prostrating himself before a seemingly immortal Emperor to find a weakness but opening himself up to the corrupting influence of the dark side in the process is great. As is Leia being the one to save him. I'm against the Sith being brought back after RotJ but DE gets a free pass from me because, having read the book after the prequels, seeing the Emperor return with no Chosen One to stop him is good for escalating the threat. I imagine I would think it undermimed Anakin's story if I just had the classic trilogy to go on.

Ideally, Dark Empire I would have been fleshed out to become the whole trilogy. Having Kam Solusar appear out of nowhere is silly (from what I can recall, the books had a bad habit of telling rather than showing) and as Luke's kinda sorta first student, he's too important to have his story not be properly told there. Not that I'm keen on Luke redeeming him with a flip of a coin or whatever Lightsider is supposed to be.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Dark Empire 1 and 2 both started with pretty significant events occurring right before the first page: Luke crash landing a Star Destroyer on Coruscant,
    [​IMG]

and Luke redeeming a Dark Jedi.